Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 05:51 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That depends on what they are pushing. Look at the creationists trying to change what can be taught in schools.
And you have people who want anything that can be remotely religious not be viewable in public at all. Like I said, it works both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 07:28 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
And you have people who want anything that can be remotely religious not be viewable in public at all. Like I said, it works both ways.
I haven’t met a single person who matches that description.

Plenty of people (including many who describe themselves as religious) are opposed to religious displays on publicly owned property.

If someone wants to erect a “Jesus Saves” billboard by the highway, I don’t particularly care. If someone wants to do the same thing on the lawn of my Township’s municipal building, that’s a far different issue.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I haven’t met a single person who matches that description.

Plenty of people (including many who describe themselves as religious) are opposed to religious displays on publicly owned property.

If someone wants to erect a “Jesus Saves” billboard by the highway, I don’t particularly care. If someone wants to do the same thing on the lawn of my Township’s municipal building, that’s a far different issue.
And I havent met a child molester or a murderer but I know that they exist. Just because you have not met them doesnt mean they arent out there.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:42 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
And I havent met a child molester or a murderer but I know that they exist. Just because you have not met them doesnt mean they arent out there.
I never claimed that no such person exists. After all, it’s a big wide world. But I would bet dollars to donuts that they’re extremely few and far between.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:02 AM

16,760 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
There is a difference between not wanting Christians to break laws and Christians trying to drag the US back to the middle ages.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:16 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I don't think that's true at all.

Religion has its place. Keep it in its place.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
There is a difference between not wanting Christians to break laws and Christians trying to drag the US back to the middle ages.
Drag back to the Middle Ages in what way?

Old 03-29-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
You know someone is losing an argument when they have to go to such extreme positions are bringing child moslestation into a discussion that has nothing to do with that topic.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think that's true at all.

Religion has its place. Keep it in its place.
What place is that?

Old 03-29-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What place is that?
In the home. In church. In your thought processes. In reasonable behavior that does nothing to foist your religion on others.

I don't do anything publicly in my life that foists my belief in Buddhism and atheism on others. I don't mind seeing churches with their flashing billboards as I drive along streets and highways. I don't mind seeing a church picnic at a public park. But I do mind seeing religious symbolism making a statement on public property...property that belongs to me as much as anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism