Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 11:56 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Atheism is faith in self. Your own intellect is your faith. Your own logic system decided that God is foolish because the following ............ Add in anything that suits your minds eye.

You have faith, but in self. Call it self confidence or what ever makes you feel better. The bottom line is that everyone has faith in something. It's either in themselves or something else.

Atheists actually have great faith that the entire Universe evolved from a single organism. Now this takes a lot of faith. I do not have this level of faith. My Faith is in a Creator God and creation. To think logically that the entire world simply evolved is beyond the level of faith that I have.

I will stick with God. My faith is simple child like.
It's always hard for me to follow this sort of rationale and to see atheism described in ways that suit whatever a theist is trying to prove, but I am an atheist, and I don't see that my beliefs involve faith as you want to insist. Unless you want to call my trust the sun will rise in the morning faith, or that I have faith the earth is round and not flat.

From a religious standpoint the definition of faith is "strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof." This definition is a far cry from atheism in any case.

Then, "to think logically," I'm always amazed that people who have faith in a "Creator God and creation" can think this is entirely logical without considering from where the Creator God came to be in the first place. Or how. Of course that question is as old as can be, but why is it not logical to consider how everything came to be without imagining a Creator God, while thinking it's entirely logical to assume a Creator God without beginning or end?

Consider either option carefully and they begin to sound like the same thing with the one exception of inserting a faith in a god into the unknown place holder. Atheists leave the unknown as unknown and don't argue about different versions of imagination AKA religions.

"To think logically that the entire world simply evolved is beyond the level of faith that I have." But to think that POOF and just like that there is a Creator God is not even further beyond? How does that work? Logically speaking that is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 12:44 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Atheism is faith in self. Your own intellect is your faith. Your own logic system decided that God is foolish because the following ............ Add in anything that suits your minds eye.

You have faith, but in self. Call it self confidence or what ever makes you feel better. The bottom line is that everyone has faith in something. It's either in themselves or something else.

Atheists actually have great faith that the entire Universe evolved from a single organism. Now this takes a lot of faith. I do not have this level of faith. My Faith is in a Creator God and creation. To think logically that the entire world simply evolved is beyond the level of faith that I have.

Nice post. Since faith is so tangled with religion and is often misunderstood with negative connotations, i think confidence and trust may be closer to what faith means.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:41 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
Atheists actually have great faith that the entire Universe evolved from a single organism.
An organism is a biological life form, composed of living cells, as far as we know found only on Earth.

The universe is everything in space and time, which consists of at least a few hundred billion galaxies (probably a lot more that we can't observe.) And each one of those galaxies has hundreds of billions of stars, which our star is just one of. And they are long distances away from each other.

So, no, I definitely don't think that everything evolved from an organism. There is a mountain of evidence though, that all life alive today on this one planet, evolved over billions of years from earlier, simpler forms of life, going all the way back to a single cell. All life on Earth definitely shares a common ancestor.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:52 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:

Faith literally means belief without evidence. That's what faith is.
If there were actual evidence of God you wouldn't need to have faith, because you'd have proof.

Atheism has literally NOTHING to do with believing the entire universe evolved from a single organism.

The scientific evidence of the big bang if that's what you're referring to has nothing to do with the belief or disbelief in a god or gods. It's a conclusion of science, not atheism.

Or perhaps you were referring to evolution from a biological organism? You seem to have your scientific theories mixed up. Whatever the case that's a scientific theory as well, not a theological one.

Perhaps you are new to the subforum so please let me make this clear one more time:
Atheism means without belief in a god or gods. That's it. That's all it means. .
After that you can't make any assumptions about what else an atheist believes.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:01 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I don't have any faith that humanity will last another 500 years. Our current civilization will probably collapse in the next century.
I'm not sure it will last that long, lol. I think people may accept an increasingly dystopian hellscape of an existence and try to pretend that it's perfectly normal, for maybe 20 years or so, from like 2040 to 2060. After that, I think it will be hard even for those sorts of folks to pretend Everything Is Okay.

Here at Chez Mordant, we have portable solar panels and solar generators, a deep pantry and a water catchment / purification system just to smooth out some of the speed bumps in supply chains and increasing failures of infrastructure, but I think even somewhat prepared humans will be dying out in large numbers well before the end of this century, unfortunately.

And there are a lot of ways for it to go sideways sooner. Putin could start lobbing nukes around, for example. Pretty much any time. I'm somewhat comforted by what appears to be the pathetic state of his military, and the dysfunction of his command and control, but he could lay waste to parts of Europe (and Scandanavia) just out of spite if he chose to. And even a "local" nuclear exchange would be a massive shock to what's left of the ecosystem, and to financial markets, and to governments.

In the UK much of this is already realized. I read not long ago of an elderly woman who fell at home and broke a hip, and her neighbors tried to comfort her as she lay there in agony for a day or two because the ambulance would not come due to staffing issues. The UK doesn't home-grow many crops, such as tomatoes, and must import them from Europe -- but the whole Brexit mess is preventing that from happening, so there have been large spot shortages of basic staples at the local grocer's there.
Quote:
I don't want to be a pessimist here
You don't have to be -- I am probably pessimistic enough for both of us, ha ha.
Quote:
To make matters worse - you have an awful lot of people who think - yeah, why bother worrying about the future. Jesus is coming!!
It's certainly not helping, is it?

I spoke in this space not long ago about my 80 year old fundagelical brother who wasn't wiling to take basic masking / distancing precautions to protect his wife (from the common cold, much less Covid) while she underwent chemotherapy. To him that is just the sin of worry. I mean I don't even know how to address such disordered thinking anymore. I literally give up. Where would one even start?

Old 04-11-2023, 04:00 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I am not sure, some people do not appear to understand the difference between a god that created everything, but is independent of that creation, and a god that is everything. These are two mutually exclusive positions, and some people are arguing against this by focusing only on their belief. It is as if they can not see outside of their own belief system.
Maybe. What I have seen is some people arguing that it is the same god in an attempt to group people together who would otherwise be against each other when it comes to belief in God. If they haven't joined hands, I would say that they know the difference.

Old 04-11-2023, 05:36 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I am not sure, some people do not appear to understand the difference between a god that created everything, but is independent of that creation, and a god that is everything. These are two mutually exclusive positions, and some people are arguing against this by focusing only on their belief. It is as if they can not see outside of their own belief system.
They are not mutually exclusive. That is the mistaken belief. The god that creates everything is also IN everything that is created, because god is in everything, there is nothing that has no god in it. God is existence. Everything is not god but god is in everything. Important distinction.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:35 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
They are not mutually exclusive. That is the mistaken belief.
That is your belief that is ignoring what other religions believe, and those beliefs are mutually exclusive to yours.

Quote:
The god that creates everything is also IN everything that is created, because god is in everything, there is nothing that has no god in it. God is existence. Everything is not god but god is in everything. Important distinction.
That is your belief about your (and Mystic's) theology, which contradicts what the Abrahamic religions and Daoism teaches.

I even said 'a god that created everything, but is independent of that creation', you even quoted me saying that, so simply repeating your belief about a reality that IS a god is just an example of you being unable to think outside of your own religious box.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:59 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Maybe. What I have seen is some people arguing that it is the same god in an attempt to group people together who would otherwise be against each other when it comes to belief in God. If they haven't joined hands, I would say that they know the difference.
I wish you would expand on this. Thank you.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:01 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
They are not mutually exclusive. That is the mistaken belief. The god that creates everything is also IN everything that is created, because god is in everything, there is nothing that has no god in it. God is existence. Everything is not god but god is in everything. Important distinction.
So god is in every evil deed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism