Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 07:34 AM

88,526 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Although I no longer go to church, I am still friends with some of the people there. It was a good little community that enhanced my life for a time. I found I can no longer attend services. The last time on was Palm Sunday, and I involuntarily said BULL**** very loudly during one of the readings and decided it was best for me to not try to attend anymore.

Like most small old churches, it stays alive on a very tight budget. They have a rummage sale going on next week, and my little condo was stuffed with boxes from the sale of my mother's house two years ago. After church is over, I am going there to help them set up for next weekend, but I have an ulterior motive. I've been bringing stuff from Mom's house and donating it to the sale. A productive Sunday morning.

Old 07-02-2023, 10:53 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I went to a Methodist church in my mid teens. We had the traditional church service on Sunday mornings. I don't remember any other services, aside from a youth group that I was encouraged to join but never got into. I can't remember what evening that was on... (I only remember going once)

So, yeah, no surprise to me that your Methodist friend wasn't attending services on Sunday nights.
We were grade school kids then but as a I got older on I remember Methodist kids that were teenagers attending MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship). I don't remember what night it was but I remember the kids that went telling me that they liked it because it was just kids and was fun.

Quote:
Wizard of Oz night was a special one too!
No doubt. It was truly magical growing up when it was only on one time a year. My mother would make a big deal out of it with special (that us kids liked) and pudding for desert. Then pile in front of the TV for the show. Seems like it was in February when it was on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 08:43 AM

936 posts, read 822,761 times
I have fun on Sundays. Being an atheist means believing in life before death.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:44 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Sunday is like any other day for me. Usually I don't even realize it's Sunday. I just make sure I keep the television and radio off since it's slathered with religious nonsense until around 1pm when secularism returns - more or less.

Sundays are only marked by not having any doctors' appointments - and I really like that. So damn sick of doctors I could scream. No, I've done that already. How about - I tear the house apart in a blind rage? No - I'll have to pick it up later. Unless I destroy someone else's house.

Any volunteers?

Old 07-04-2023, 04:59 AM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Sundays are only marked by not having any doctors' appointments - and I really like that. So damn sick of doctors I could scream.
Lol ... do NOT get me started.

I hadn't thought of Sunday as a much-needed Day Of Rest From Doctors ... but you're right ...

Old 07-04-2023, 08:45 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Sunday is like any other day for me. Usually I don't even realize it's Sunday. I just make sure I keep the television and radio off since it's slathered with religious nonsense until around 1pm when secularism returns - more or less.

Sundays are only marked by not having any doctors' appointments - and I really like that. So damn sick of doctors I could scream. No, I've done that already. How about - I tear the house apart in a blind rage? No - I'll have to pick it up later. Unless I destroy someone else's house.

Any volunteers?
I recommend a good punching bag and an aluminum bat...

Old 07-04-2023, 06:37 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Try and make sure you catch the Righteous Gemstones on Sunday night if you can.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:42 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Try and make sure you catch the Righteous Gemstones on Sunday night if you can.
You know, that's supposed to be a parody of Christian Fundamentalism but I gotta say, it's not too far off from the truth.

It was so on the money with so many things, it kind of freaked me out at times. It's really not a stretch too far, exaggerated with the language and weirdness a little, but strangely accurate. Hilariously insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism