Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2023, 02:27 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I saw Dawkins interviewed recently. I can't remember who interviewed him so not sure if I'd be able to find the interview now, but he was asked about Islam and he refused to talk about it. This was not long after Salman Rushdie had been brutally attacked and the interviewer asked him if that's why he didn't want to answer questions and Dawkins just plainly said he didnt want to talk about it. I also remember him saying something to the effect of he'd been mis-represented in the past.
The Rushdie incident occurred about 60 miles from where I live, in a summer retreat of sorts that has an intellectual bent and a feeling of having turned back the clock a century or so. One of my best friends was in town from Las Vegas when it happened, and his reading of the initial reports off his phone gave me the impression the attack was going to be fatal. Along with feeling sympathy for Rushdie, I felt pretty bad for the venue, because they then had to address concerns about their complete lack of security, and I hate the overreach of the modern security efforts. I like the idea of that particular place feeling no need for security, even when 'provocative' speakers are on hand, but we live in a world where my favorite bar in Buffalo feels the need to 'wand down' anyone who enters with a metal detector....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 02:53 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You'd never know English was your second language. Kudos
Thank you, but English is my third language, my Mother and Grandparents are Greek. My paternal Grandfather was a guest worker, and then became a German citizen.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Thanks.
I tried googling and got some weird election results. Lol

Now I am curious.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:40 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Thank you, but English is my third language, my Mother and Grandparents are Greek. My paternal Grandfather was a guest worker, and then became a German citizen.
You speak it better than I do.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You speak it better than I do.
Greek?

Old 10-04-2023, 06:43 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Greek?
We have a saying at least in the US regarding topics we don't understand: "It's all Greek to me".

Old 10-04-2023, 06:48 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We have a saying at least in the US regarding topics we don't understand: "It's all Greek to me".
lol beat me to it.

Old 10-05-2023, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

We say I only understand train station, or it is Polish backwards.

Old 10-05-2023, 08:55 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Whether we self-identify as humanists or not, I think it's fair for me to say that most of us atheists here have little or no familiarity with the American Humanist Association. So collectively there's likely to be (much) greater affinity for Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens, and Dennett than there would be for that organization. The first three of the four I mentioned have been 'caught up in controversies' of varying levels of merit at different times, but people tend not to outright disown thinkers they respect over an ill-considered tweet or an overly militant stance on some particular political topic (I have Dawkins and Harris in mind with those respective references).
To me, the New Atheism bunch has been proven correct with their combative approach given how toxic Christianity, and the imposition of its values on society at large, has become over the past decade or so. At the time, I thought they were maybe too abrasive.

These Christians will stop at noting to basically bludgeon everyone else with their agenda.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:12 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the New Atheism bunch has been proven correct with their combative approach given how toxic Christianity, and the imposition of its values on society at large, has become over the past decade or so. At the time, I thought they were maybe too abrasive.

These Christians will stop at noting to basically bludgeon everyone else with their agenda.
Yes, even going so far as to...well...I better not say more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism