Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 08:21 PM

501 posts, read 167,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Then a Troll came on and decided to start something. For all I know, the person I rejected and the member on here may be one and the same.
Wait a minute: Now you think O'Darby may actually BE the smalltown Texas pastor who has been identified as the Anti-Christ!!! Golly, I'm flattered.

I don't know what it's like to be inside your head, but I'll bet it's ... well, fascinating.

Enquiring minds - that would be me - skimmed through hundreds of your old posts. You talk rather freely - about your non-relationship with your father, your disdain for religion and predisposition toward atheism even as a child, your disdain for members of your church, your dissatisfaction with your childhood church, and your disdain for pretty much everything and everyone. I could quote some of them if you like.

You know what? I could find nowhere that you said anything resembling what you are now saying here. Odd, eh? It's almost as if this Anti-Christ pastor who gets worse with every post were a fictional character you're inventing on the fly.

I did learn one thing. You like to talk about yourself. A lot.

I'll leave it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 09:10 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
On a separate but slightly related note, talking of people who like to challenge us atheists, I happened across a post by our old chum GldnRule yesterday and noticed his little set of scales icon disappeared ie he's been banned.

I know he rubbed most people up the wrong way but I had a soft spot for Gldn and I'm very sad to see him gone. I know a lot of you probably scratch your head about that but in his early days on the forum he told some warm personal stories and wasn't quite so confrontational. And he always welcomed people when they returned to the forum regardless who they were. I liked that. I couldn't really understand his level of aggression directed towards atheism, but then I can't understand why anyone is aggressive towards us mild-mannered, placid atheists. Anyway, I'll miss him being around.
I am saddened by that as well, Cruithne. Gldn was a good friend to me and my views. The level of protection from pantheists that atheism receives here is something that Gldn found particularly irritating and was apparently too vocal about. I suspect he ignored the prohibition about discussing moderator actions one time too many.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:48 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am saddened by that as well, Cruithne. Gldn was a good friend to me and my views. The level of protection from pantheists that atheism receives here is something that Gldn found particularly irritating and was apparently too vocal about. I suspect he ignored the prohibition about discussing moderator actions one time too many.
I know he thought (thinks? What's the tense when someone has left a forum?) very highly of you Mystic.
He was always respectful to me - probably because I was respectful back and through that we were able to have some great entertaining conversations despite agreeing on almost nothing. .

Old 10-18-2023, 11:44 PM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
The fact that you feel the need to point this out speaks volumes about the intellectual level at which the atheist forum operates, does it not? Rather Stoopid, would you agree?
But as I did not need this explaining, and probably others too, then that must speak volumes about the high intellectual level at which the atheist forum operates. Your argument would only be valid if ALL atheists needed this explaining.

And because your argument is THAT stupid, by your 'logic' you have just called all theists in the theist forums Rather Stoopid, would you agree?

Quote:
I might've thought the sheer absurdity of my tale, together with "Uh-huh. 'Prove it didn't happen.'", would've been a sufficient clue for anyone with an IQ above, oh, 15 or so, but apparently not.
Perhaps because you do not understand that not everyone understands sarcasm, especially if they think in a different way to other people. The inability to understand humor may indicate high intelligence, not low. Also, without body language, people on a forum must rely on what has been written, and a more honest person may not understand that people need to be dishonest to be sarcastic.

Old 10-19-2023, 03:13 AM

Quote:
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I always reserve the right to emerge from the O'Darby Cave and exercise my noodle as the spirit moves me. The fact that it always causes such a brouhaha does have its appeal and psychic benefits. Oddly, on most other forums I don't provoke anything like the same intensity of response - so I tend to think this says more about you folks than about O'Darby. But as I say, I agree with LKC that O'Darby should be sent right back to the Cave and the entrance bricked over and guarded by a cherubim with a flaming sword so the irritating troll can't emerge until the Rapture, or Second Coming, or Whatever.
Of course you may visit whenever you want, I never said you could not. My point was one of slight humor (what you call a brouhaha) at the usual claim of leaving never to return. We have seen this before, where someone who claims to be of superior intellect comes here but posts little to nothing of value; their only goal appears to be to cause trouble (even if it means making the religious look stupid or dishonest (atheist bonus) ); then claims to leave forever for more intellectual grounds, never to return; only to return.

I know Ralph Waldo Emerson was talking about individuals, but it also appears relevant for the group of hobgoblins of little minds who play the same flouncing game in the same consistent manner.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:37 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
That does seem to fit that he took something in the internet so personal. Mystic is a freaking genius

Old 10-19-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute: Now you think O'Darby may actually BE the smalltown Texas pastor who has been identified as the Anti-Christ!!! Golly, I'm flattered.

I don't know what it's like to be inside your head, but I'll bet it's ... well, fascinating.

Enquiring minds - that would be me - skimmed through hundreds of your old posts. You talk rather freely - about your non-relationship with your father, your disdain for religion and predisposition toward atheism even as a child, your disdain for members of your church, your dissatisfaction with your childhood church, and your disdain for pretty much everything and everyone. I could quote some of them if you like.

You know what? I could find nowhere that you said anything resembling what you are now saying here. Odd, eh? It's almost as if this Anti-Christ pastor who gets worse with every post were a fictional character you're inventing on the fly.

I did learn one thing. You like to talk about yourself. A lot.

I'll leave it there.
You realize you just told us everything we need to know about who YOU are?

Old 10-26-2023, 08:03 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

He was not a good friend to me. GldnRule, Tzaph, cb2008 and Hayle White(I think the latter 3 are one in the same) fiercely and relentlessly attacked me after returning from a long hiatus. Not supportive AT ALL. I am not in the least bit surprised he got banned. He was mean. He backed off eventually and stopped posting in R&S. Apparently, it wasn't just atheists he was attacking. I hate when anyone gets banned but maybe he needed a reality check.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
He was not a good friend to me. GldnRule, Tzaph, cb2008 and Hayle White(I think the latter 3 are one in the same) fiercely and relentlessly attacked me after returning from a long hiatus. Not supportive AT ALL. I am not in the least bit surprised he got banned. He was mean. He backed off eventually and stopped posting in R&S. Apparently, it wasn't just atheists he was attacking. I hate when anyone gets banned but maybe he needed a reality check.
Yeah, that's his MO.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I loved it when GldnRule attacked. He made theists look both stupid and dishonest. Maybe he is the anti-Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism