Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 05:50 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. We are very good at adding additional meanings to objects and events. It's a skill I wish I possessed more of.
Meaning, for me, is whatever I decide it is. It's no more or less prosaic than that.

Today meaning was obtained by setting up my new Mac Studio computer and resolving an issue with the software I'm working on for a client relating to correctly reporting loan types coming from a new file format.

This would be the next person's idea of hell, doubtless. But it floated my boat mightily. And that's what made it meaningful.

Some people would say that's not "feeling some kind of spirituality". But to be completely honest I think people who would say that are just using "spiritual" as a $25 word instead of "content" or "fulfilled" ... it's like they don't deserve contentment or fulfillment unless it's glorified in some way by some god or an elevated word like "spirituality".

Pfft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 06:45 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Meaning, for me, is whatever I decide it is. It's no more or less prosaic than that.

Today meaning was obtained by setting up my new Mac Studio computer and resolving an issue with the software I'm working on for a client relating to correctly reporting loan types coming from a new file format.

This would be the next person's idea of hell, doubtless. But it floated my boat mightily. And that's what made it meaningful.

Some people would say that's not "feeling some kind of spirituality". But to be completely honest I think people who would say that are just using "spiritual" as a $25 word instead of "content" or "fulfilled" ... it's like they don't deserve contentment or fulfillment unless it's glorified in some way by some god or an elevated word like "spirituality".

Pfft.
That sounds like hell to me.

Spiritual seems to be more along the lines of connection. Connected to something larger than yourself. Love is spiritual for sure. In your case your skill connects you.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That sounds like hell to me.

Spiritual seems to be more along the lines of connection. Connected to something larger than yourself. Love is spiritual for sure.
Connection to something larger is just a fancy way to say "purpose". My purpose, in part, is to enable my client to offer a clearly superior service. I wake up every morning eager to deliver and to overcome the challenges involved. It helps that my client isn't a greedy posterior orifice, and appreciates the value I bring.

As you mention, it can be very different for others, and that's fine.

More along the lines you seem to be thinking, I have known love, and it can feel transcendent at times ... and very practical at others. I just finished my 3rd daily session bending my wife's legs as she continues to heal from her total knee replacements. I find that purposeful too. Although, nether of us find it transcendent, lol.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Connection to something larger is just a fancy way to say "purpose". My purpose, in part, is to enable my client to offer a clearly superior service. I wake up every morning eager to deliver and to overcome the challenges involved. It helps that my client isn't a greedy posterior orifice, and appreciates the value I bring.

As you mention, it can be very different for others, and that's fine.

More along the lines you seem to be thinking, I have known love, and it can feel transcendent at times ... and very practical at others. I just finished my 3rd daily session bending my wife's legs as she continues to heal from her total knee replacements. I find that purposeful too. Although, nether of us find it transcendent, lol.
Purpose is part of a larger whole with connection IMO.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Purpose is part of a larger whole with connection IMO.
What, to you, is "a larger whole"? My wife is outside me. My stepson is outside me. My clients are outside me. My colleagues are outside of me. Therefore they are all part of "a larger whole" to which I connect and with which I interact. There's another universe of people I don't interact with on a daily basis -- my daughter, my brother, my grandchildren. There is plenty in my life to make up a "larger whole" or "greater purpose".

This reminds me of how atheists have to interact with twelve-step programs. They want us to identify with and tap into a "higher power". I have never needed to deal with such programs but know atheists who have and they just shrug and say "my higher power is this group" or "other people" or "our community". It doesn't have to be something that feels "out there" or isn't visible or that even that causes good feels, really. It just has to be something that you feel you are contributing to and that feels purposeful.

Put another way, what is wrong with "a larger whole" being something real instead of something imaginary or something that can only be vaguely sensed?

Old 11-20-2023, 09:56 PM

I am talking about the whole of you. Connection, purpose, moral code.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:08 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So it is a matter of our own feelings, not so much anything spiritual about the rock?
Yes.

Quote:
I bet you could do it as well as anyone.
Quote:

Pfft.
Sorry, my bad. What I was referring to was the ability to use metaphors/words. I think it is quite fascinating that somebody can put into words my own experiences and feelings.

I appreciate the warm response, though. Thank you.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What gives the universe 'meaning'?
What gives urine meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
The question posed by the OP was whether some atheists feel some kind of spirituality. The answer is, indeed they do.
The little x-tians feel threatened when non-believers get spiritual.

Quote:
I had extensive discussions on the IANDS forum with a woman who'd had two deep, profound Near Death Experiences but was nevertheless a "devout" atheist (and a scientist, FWIW). She was intensely spiritual but nevertheless didn't believe in a deity.
That the mind plays tricks is neither proof of any god-thing nor proof of an afterlife.

It's just proof the mind plays tricks.

Quote:
Spiritual atheism, as he defines it, does not include any truly supernatural component.
Why would it? Atheists reject the supernatural, in part because it's nothing more than superstition on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The incredible myriad of beautiful life forms, shapes, colors and characteristics that have evolved from a simple one source of life going back millions of years. A source science has yet to discover.
Science cannot discover it ever.

Bacteria, Archaea, Eukaryota and Virus are the four base domains.

There may have been other base life domains but we'll never know because that evidence was obliterated through tectonic plate action or volcanism.

It could have formed in an inland sea that was created by a rift formation. The rift widens then the plates collide and it's at the bottom undergoing metamorphosis.

Whatever it was, it ain't that now.

Does that mean it's pointless to search? Well, Economics. There's only so much research dollars to go round and you need a bang for your buck.

It wouldn't benefit us except in understanding life forms on other planets.

Quote:
Ex lawyer? That explains a few things.
Probably got disbarred.

Quote:
Yes. I don't recall ever being taught evolution, though I was taught religion...quite a lot...
I don't recall, either. I only remember it from the zoology course I took which was absolutely fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
However, there are some useful moral precepts in all of the religions as well. I consider those to be valid.
No, there aren't and I take issue with the implication that religion is necessary for morality when morality is nothing more than common sense.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
You CLEARLY did not read the description of the research project, which identified the participants, methodology and purposes.
Why would I want to?

I have no interest in any research on Atheism for the same reason I don't read books about Atheism.

Quote:
By kicking against this reality and trying to insist you occupy some higher intellectual ground, you do indeed fall into a gotcha trap of sorts. As I said, why not just admit it - "Damn right, I'm an Anti-Theist! - for which there is no shame?
Atheism harms no one.

Can't say the same about religion or theism.

Quote:
As such, the assertive Anti-Theist both proactively and aggressively asserts their views towards others when appropriate, seeking to educate the theists in the passé nature of belief and theology. In other words, antitheists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental.
That's probably true.

That reminds me. Are you ever going to study the gospels?

Why don't you want to?

Quote:
I can at least understand a Bible-thumping Christian proselytizer because spreading the Gospel in fulfillment of the Great Commission is at least a major theme of Christianity.
Murdering people for not believing and murdering people for accepting 95% of the tenets but not the whole nine yards was a major theme, too.

I'm here to make sure that never happens again. Not ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Obviously, I’ve never bashed atheism; your problem is that, as an atheist, I’ve never bashed religion.
That's disgusting since you claim to be a lawyer and know the harm religion does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven." -- Jesus, quoted by Matthew in his Gospel, Chapter 18 verse 10.
That's from the King Joke Vision who are proven liars and they make things up.

If you bothered to view the data it stems from CBH melachim (messengers).

Quote:
It’s common for atheists to equate spirituality with consciousness/thought/awareness (of the mind and the world) whereas others/religious folks tend to think of it in terms of spirits or a soul rather than relative to the brain and neuroscience.
Obviously, you don't get it. The Greeks concocted the idea of a soul to explain something they couldn't understand, namely, consciousness and psyche.

The wrote a lot about it. They called it Tyche (Fortune) and Daimon (Spirit).

They even tried to mathematically calculate it. You take the position of the Sun and Moon and the degree of the zoida (image) rising at the equator at your moment of birth.

Then you calculate the distance from Moon to Sun and add that to the ascending degree at that's Tyche.

Then you calculate the distance from Sun to Moon and add that to the ascending degree and that's Daimon.

And then they would look to see were the planets were in relation to Daimon to see what kind of person you were.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:52 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Obviously, I’ve never bashed atheism; your problem is that, as an atheist, I’ve never bashed religion. Hence your manipulative attempt to control the narrative (and my opinion) again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's disgusting since you claim to be a lawyer and know the harm religion does.
It’s this sort of intolerance/disgust that makes it impossible to take folks seriously as having anything rational to discuss. Again, Constitutional Law is the best/only weapon we have to fight for our rights as atheists. I’m simply not blinded by anger (or an inability to communicate effectively/intelligently), as you appear to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Obviously, you don't get it. The Greeks concocted the idea of a soul to explain something they couldn't understand, namely, consciousness and psyche.
Obviously, you don’t get it i.e. atheists don’t believe in supernatural beings or ‘souls’; we use the terms consciousness or awareness relative to the function of our brain. Brain death is death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism