Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three ministers do you think is the most egregious?
John MacArthur 0 0%
John Piper 0 0%
Paul Washer 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 03:54 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This thread is posted in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum. So far, I have seen nothing posted that is relevant to either Atheism or Agnosticism. Your moderators are patient people, but this thread may be closed if we don't see some reason to keep it open fairly soon.

Maybe move it to R&S?

Old 10-23-2023, 08:43 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I'm not a dedicated Atheisist or Agnostic, but, yeah I have never heard of any of these 3. I guess I can Google them tomorrow if work is not busy.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:57 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Maybe move it to R&S?

Old 10-24-2023, 02:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Nobody's ever heard of John MacArthur John Piper or Paul Washer. I guess they don't call this the atheism forum for nothing. I can see no reason to keep the thread open, mensa. Have at it.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:30 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,154,471 times
OP,

I've never heard of the three stooges in your poll, but here's a book you might want to read:

Two Wars We Must Not Lose: What Christians Need to Know About Radical Islamists, Radical Secularists, and Why We Can’t Leave the Battle Up to Our Divided Government

The book is by Bill Hecht, a prominent person in my former sect, the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Wars-Must.../dp/0961592745

It's a good view into the mindset of Christian Nationalism in America today.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:14 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
I don't know them either, but then again I was mostly Fundamental, about 1/8 Baptist and Methodist. I definitely was not listening to or paying any attention to who was trying to god-speak over each other. Hmm, perhaps this does belong in R&S. Someone could probably answer the poll better and this thread would be more informative. I do remember hearing of Paul Washer but that's it.

Looked up the other two, John McArthur is 84, don't see him as much of a threat. John Piper is old too, 77. Just don't listen to them Thrill, they get you all worked up.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:31 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Nobody's ever heard of John MacArthur John Piper or Paul Washer. I guess they don't call this the atheism forum for nothing. I can see no reason to keep the thread open, mensa. Have at it.

Sorry Thrill. That kind of thing just isn't on my radar at all. I've barely heard of ANY minister / preacher types. The only ones I know the names of are Billy Graham and Joel Osteen. Billy Graham because he visited Anfield soccer stadium in 1984 round the corner from where I grew up. And Joel Osteen, I only heard about on this forum.
Yep not called the atheist forum for nuthin' LOL.

EDIT: Oh and just thought of another one. That Fred Phelps fella of the Westboro Bapist cult who got ex-communicated from his own church just before he died. The Westboro lot were covered quite a bit on several British TV documentaries by Louis Theroux. I found them quite fascinating.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:05 PM

501 posts, read 167,847 times
I have certainly heard of MacArthur and Piper because they are extremely influential Calvinist pastors and teachers. Yet how many Christians remain Calvinists? Some, of course, but even for them it's mostly a watered-down Calvinism. Washer I have never even heard of, even though he's apparently a Southern Baptist. If these folks are barely on my radar screen, as they are, I would think that expecting atheists to be outraged is a bit much. For someone who purports to be an elderly guy who has moved past Christianity into the bliss of atheism, thrillobyte certainly seems to spend a fantastic amount of time and energy railing against the Inside Baseball aspects of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism