Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 07:44 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The Bible isn’t considered historically accurate, as a whole; it was written decades or centuries after the fact. Its influences into every aspect of human culture is relative to guidance about how people should live their lives in the way ‘God’ would want them to. Some types of biblical hermeneutics, such as literal translation, are widely accepted; in other words, I find it fascinating its (harmful) influence is so great it has an atheist regularly quoting it to ‘support claims’ (per another thread).
Naturally, many christians say it is a history book and/or the word of god.

What history book is not expected to support its claims?

Old 01-12-2024, 08:03 AM

16,761 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
The Bible isn’t considered historically accurate, as a whole; it was written decades or centuries after the fact. Its influences into every aspect of human culture is relative to guidance about how people should live their lives in the way ‘God’ would want them to. Some types of biblical hermeneutics, such as literal translation, are widely accepted; in other words, I find it fascinating its (harmful) influence is so great it has an atheist regularly quoting it to ‘support claims’ (per another thread).
Ignoring the '(harmful) influence' straw man (people refute false claims whether they are harmful or not), when Christians make claims about what the Bible teaches, what do you want us to use to refute those claims?

Old 01-12-2024, 08:07 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Naturally, many christians say it is a history book and/or the word of god.

What history book is not expected to support its claims?
The Bible isn’t a ‘history book’; historians look for archeological evidence as better sources of historical events. Hence, while many Christians may not accept this, I find it fascinating an atheist would regularly quote or reference it to (ironically) fight what they don’t believe in anyway. You’re essentially/illogically using (what is considered to be) ‘God’s word’ to support a claim.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
The Bible isn’t a ‘history book’; historians look for archeological evidence as better sources of historical events. Hence, while many Christians may not accept this, I find it fascinating an atheist would regularly quote or reference it to (ironically) fight what they don’t believe in anyway. You’re essentially/illogically using (what is considered to be) ‘God’s word’ to support a claim.
PAY ATTENTION. I didn't say it was. I said many christians consider it to be a history book.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
PAY ATTENTION. I didn't say it was. I said many christians consider it to be a history book.
Yes, pay attention; I stated Christians. That said, why use it as a reference to fight/support claims (in the same way as a theist).

Old 01-12-2024, 09:52 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
You find what specifically fascinating? Got an example?

It all depends on what I'm debating. If I'm debating about what the bible says (or doesn't), then I need to open it up and read it just like the other person does. As that is what we are debating.

Likewise, if we're debating about the existence (evidence of, or whether the existence of is even possible), of the God of the bible, then we must use the bible as our reference which describes the character.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
You find what specifically fascinating? Got an example?

It all depends on what I'm debating. If I'm debating about what the bible says (or doesn't), then I need to open it up and read it just like the other person does. As that is what we are debating.

Likewise, if we're debating about the existence (evidence of, or whether the existence of is even possible), of the God of the bible, then we must use the bible as our reference which describes the character.
That an atheist would use the Bible as a point of reference to make a claim and/or regularly quote it, as they (should) know it’s neither historically accurate nor the ‘word of God’. From my perspective, it’s hilariously hypocritical to believe the Bible has no relevance/applicability while regularly using it as a source.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:54 PM

79 posts, read 21,681 times
Quote:
Very much in agreement.

What I think a lot of theists don't understand is that those of us who are atheists are, hopefully, as you express, open-minded. If and when evidence convinces me that there is a god, then I'll become a theist or a deist. But babbling on about the same old same old that I've heard since I was 8 is not going to do it.
Unfortunately, not every atheist is open minded.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by night912 View Post
Unfortunately, not every atheist is open minded.
Not every theist is open minded.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:43 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
That an atheist would use the Bible as a point of reference to make a claim and/or regularly quote it, as they (should) know it’s neither historically accurate nor the ‘word of God’. From my perspective, it’s hilariously hypocritical to believe the Bible has no relevance/applicability while regularly using it as a source.
I haven’t seen any atheist here quote the Bible as either of those things. Many religious people do not view the Bible as the literal word of God or believe that its scripture should be followed word-for-word.

The Bible, like all religious texts, is a work of literature. Like other religious literature, it was probably written in phases by many different people. Bits and pieces may have been true in the broadest and most apocryphal sense. Most characters and events are probably amalgamations of multiple people and events, some real and many imagined. Much of it is completely made up.

That doesn’t mean non-believers, atheists and otherwise, can’t find it interesting or worthy of study. There was a Bible as Literature course at my university that people of all religious (and non-religious) stripes found interesting. I didn’t take it because I’m not especially interested in Biblical stories, but that’s no reason for me to look down upon or question the bona fides of other atheists who may feel differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism