Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 12:15 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
My point is, relative to the bigger picture, each person does not get to decide (for others); hence it’s a waste of time and hot air i.e. how many legitimate theists are going to read the same angry diatribes posted daily in this forum anyway (lol). It’s simply a few folks patting each other on the back for being atheists and spewing anger; hence, you’re right, that is not important to me. However, bottom line, I will defend anyone’s right to believe what they want as it simultaneously defends my rights as an atheist as well.

That said, I find it hilarious you’re telling me not to assume one feels threatened when it was your previous statement re: threatened theists that I responded to; obviously, I didn’t assume anything. In other words, your posts speak for you re: anger, self-righteousness and an inflated sense of self sans empathy for others as opposed to listening to reason/logic or a desire to advance atheism (for all of us) rather than your ego.
What you seem to be oblivious to -- over time -- is that many of us see your posts are extremely negative, and insulting, and obnoxious. But you seem to spend your time patting yourself on the back because you feel you are above the fray. No...just a different part of the fray.

Old 12-24-2023, 01:03 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
My point is, relative to the bigger picture, each person does not get to decide (for others); hence it’s a waste of time and hot air i.e. how many legitimate theists are going to read the same angry diatribes posted daily in this forum anyway (lol). It’s simply a few folks patting each other on the back for being atheists and spewing anger; hence, you’re right, that is not important to me. However, bottom line, I will defend anyone’s right to believe what they want as it simultaneously defends my rights as an atheist as well.

That said, I find it hilarious you’re telling me not to assume one feels threatened when it was your previous statement re: threatened theists that I responded to; obviously, I didn’t assume anything. In other words, your posts speak for you re: anger, self-righteousness and an inflated sense of self sans empathy for others as opposed to listening to reason/logic or a desire to advance atheism (for all of us) rather than your ego.
Do you think so? Not that anyone here really cares, (well maybe some get triggered ) but your posts suggest a seething hate, contempt resentment of and intolerance towards atheists or at least the wrong kind
- the ones that will not keep quiet and let Religion keep lying to the people.

As I say, nobody really minds what you think or say.I could leave it to others to respond. It's just all a bit curious.

Old 12-24-2023, 04:14 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
His previous post said threatened 'by simple disagreement.' Key oversight on your part.
Point being, he’s assuming one is threatened (yet telling others not to assume), lol. It’s clearly not an oversight on my part; it’s a lack of comprehension on yours.

Quote:
If someone is threatened by disagreement, then I dare say that they lack psychological health, to use your preferred parlance
Yep, I also think one who hates/argues religion on a daily basis isn’t psychologically healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Do you think so? Not that anyone here really cares, (well maybe some get triggered ) but your posts suggest a seething hate, contempt resentment of and intolerance towards atheists or at least the wrong kind
- the ones that will not keep quiet and let Religion keep lying to the people.
Yeah, I see those who get triggered (and repeatedly suggest I hate atheists when I’m one myself). Obviously, I tolerate others’ opinions/beliefs (and defend their rights relative to such); it is you who clearly does not.

Old 12-24-2023, 05:09 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
I'm relieved to see that we theists don't possess a monopoly on dissension.

Old 12-24-2023, 05:50 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
If you think mordant's posts reflect 'anger, self-righteousness, and an inflated sense of self-worth sans empathy', your judgment is incredibly flawed. I've read thousands of his posts and he's dependably insightful and even-keeled. Pointing out the flaws of theistic arguments doesn't equate to the exhibition of the unseemly traits you attribute to him

Old 12-24-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Point being, he’s assuming one is threatened (yet telling others not to assume), lol. It’s clearly not an oversight on my part; it’s a lack of comprehension on yours.

Yep, I also think one who hates/argues religion on a daily basis isn’t psychologically healthy.

Yeah, I see those who get triggered (and repeatedly suggest I hate atheists when I’m one myself). Obviously, I tolerate others’ opinions/beliefs (and defend their rights relative to such); it is you who clearly does not.
This is being economical with the truth. I remember what you have opined in the past better than you think I do. Your problem has not been with atheists who (like yourself) have accepted that the claims of religion are not true, but with those who argue about it. You say what you think is wrong with these people. You do not know, your clearly have a prejudice about it. You claim to not mind or care, but you are seen regularly on targeting us. It looks to me like you are the one with the problem, and I can only relate it to others of your ilk who have given their problem away - it is a socio -political one.

Related I suspect to the twin opinions of 'you don't need to believe - just pretend you do'. and 'any religion, so long as it's no religion'.

Now you can save the lolling and hooting as that is not you, but an aligned problem. What's important is that the socio -political group which appears to have atheist activism as political weapon, don't have power.

That's what I think your problem may be, but I wish you an excellent Christmas all the same

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-24-2023 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-24-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm relieved to see that we theists don't possess a monopoly on dissension.
It is not a doctrinal problem, however. Much of the problem comes from the massive kudos and street - cred that Christianity has gotten for itself where even atheists may feel it is beneficial, even if not true, and it is a good thing to teach as it (supposedly) makes people behave better.

In fact, the we "We need it, true or not" package. There are the 'don't - care - ists', which is fine. They are not obliged to fight for their Rights, so long as they don't fight against those who do. I have already mentioned those few handful of politically - motivated ex -believers who no longer believe but oppose us on the following grounds "we are Liberals" (the ultimate crime), we support a program of making boys wear girls dresses in school' (amongst other protests) and we show how bad we are by coming on the forum and arguing our case.

There are others who are even more alarming, but they belong to a political cult that I trust is eschewed by rational atheists.

South Park's charming atheist show made the disagreement about what to call ourselves the basis for a future atheist war. Hardly a doctrinal dispute and we hardly hear of it these days. So, given that (like scientists in fact) some atheists might battle others about who wrote the Bible and why and how, we (like science) are globally in unison.

"There are many religions; there is only one science". One might also say "There are many denominations, there is only one atheism".

Old 12-24-2023, 07:26 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is being economical with the truth. I remember what you have opined in the past better than you think I do. Your problem has not been with atheists who (like yourself) have accepted that the claims of religion are not true, but with those who argue about it. You say what you think is wrong with these people. You do not know, your clearly have a prejudice about it. You claim to to mind or care, but you are seen regularly on targeting bus. It looks to me like you are the one with the problem, and I can onlyn relate it to others of your ilk who have given their problem away - it is a socio -political one.

Related I suspect to the twin opinions of 'you don't need to believe - just pretend you do. and 'any religion, so long as it's no religion'.

Now you can save the lolling and hooting as that is not you, but an aligned problem. What's important is that the socio -political group which appear to have atheist activism as political weapon, don't have power.

That's what I think your problem may be, but I wish you an excellent Christmas all the same
Dude's from SF with an MBA. Doubt he's particularly right-wing but probably something closer to a soulless centrist. My turn to make assumptions! I held off for so long

Old 12-24-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Dude's from SF with an MBA. Doubt he's particularly right-wing but probably something closer to a soulless centrist. My turn to make assumptions! I held off for so long
Really none of my business and I may be way off the mark.I'm more curious as to the motivation than triggered by it. I see it as a puzzle, not a threat.

Now I can't resist any monger...I'm going to pour myself a drink and listen to Christmas Oratorio (I can hardly stand 'messiah'for some reason, though I like Handel well enough).

Old 12-24-2023, 08:52 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
I agree that what I've read and heard about atheism isn't particularly grounded in science. It's more about the absence of evidence, rather than evidence of absence. Atheism seems as much a faith as any religious belief. I hold a more agnostic view -- I simply don't know (although I actively speculate). I frequently note that many people just need religion in their lives, if only for social/cultural reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism