Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2024, 12:11 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I read maybe 20 pages of the book before its disappearance, so I can't answer any questions regarding its scope
Mine was a rhetorical question (to make a statement); no information is necessary, thanks.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:35 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Mine was a rhetorical question (to make a statement); no information is necessary, thanks.

We should have known

Is it really about ‘respectful atheism’ or self-respect, as a whole, relative to how we treat theists (and other folks as well). It’s a matter of common decency and acceptance.
It was not asking a question but telling atheists we should afford religious theists and Bible -apologists a respect we tend not to get from them. You are yet again batting for the other team.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Is it really about ‘respectful atheism’ or self-respect, as a whole, relative to how we treat theists (and other folks as well). It’s a matter of common decency and acceptance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It was not asking a question but telling atheists we should afford religious theists and Bible -apologists a respect we tend not to get from them. You are yet again batting for the other team.
Trans, your feathers are ruffled again; I was speaking to confidence, intelligence and self-respect in how we treat other folks, as a whole, as opposed to having a special label i.e. ‘respectful atheism’. I’m certainly not suggesting all theists are respectful (lol) but, from my perspective, you can’t be content/happy or respect yourself if what they say matters to you on an emotionally personal level (or consider every statement about confidence/self-respect in who we are, as atheists or people, to be ‘batting for the other team’). It works both ways, obviously.

That said, there are bigger battles to be fought (vs. the religious right) relative to their strong support of socially conservative and traditionalist policies while folks in here are arguing (daily) what Joe Baptist says in a thread. It’s laughable, really. In other words, is it about respectful atheism, in and of itself, or common sense in terms of the Constitution. (Yep, another rhetorical question.)

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-11-2024 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: added my original post for clarity

Old 01-11-2024, 08:39 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Trans, your feathers are ruffled again; I was speaking to confidence, intelligence and self-respect in how we treat other folks, as a whole, as opposed to having a special label i.e. ‘respectful atheism’. I’m certainly not suggesting all theists are respectful (lol) but, from my perspective, you can’t be content/happy or respect yourself if what they say matters to you on an emotionally personal level (or consider every statement about confidence/self-respect in who we are, as atheists or people, to be ‘batting for the other team’). It works both ways, obviously.

That said, there are bigger battles to be fought (vs. the religious right) relative to their strong support of socially conservative and traditionalist policies while folks in here are arguing (daily) what Joe Baptist says in a thread. It’s laughable, really. In other words, is it about respectful atheism, in and of itself, or common sense in terms of the Constitution. (Yep, another rhetorical question.)
Since almost everything the rest of us think about religion - versus - atheism is 'laughable' to you, it's odd that you want to continue to interact with the rest of us.

You like to talk about how we treat others. Well? We keep telling you how we feel about post about us...and you show no concern whatsoever.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since almost everything the rest of us think about religion - versus - atheism is 'laughable' to you, it's odd that you want to continue to interact with the rest of us.

You like to talk about how we treat others. Well? We keep telling you how we feel about post about us...and you show no concern whatsoever.
I rarely read any of it (or contribute) relative to the represented mentality, other than a few subjects which caught my eye recently i.e. this one and a thread on Christmas. That said, the difference in my approach (vs. other atheists) is your/their angry anti-theism, as a whole; it’s evident in all threads, even the aforementioned. Hence, yeah, it’s laughable when an atheist can’t lightly discuss the holiday sans having to hear about the Bible and religion (from other atheists, no less).

That said, what do you mean by I ‘show no concern whatsoever’? I’m simply expressing my opinion in a thread that appears to somewhat align with my perspective (although I am not familiar with the book), and I’m foolishly/angrily told I’m ’batting for the other team’. Yeah, again, it’s laughable.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:13 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
CC, you profess respect/tolerance but often fail to demonstrate it. The disconnect between your ideals and the actual content of your posts is somewhat, um, laughable and certainly noticeable to all those who've interacted with you regularly in recent times. I'd contend that all humans are hypocrites to some degree or another, but it is the duty of the lesser hypocrites to hold to account those who display greater amounts of hypocrisy. Unlike Transponder, I do not suspect you're some closet right-winger; I just think you're tone-deaf to how your own comments are likely to be perceived by your ostensible allies. Even though it should be obvious. Or perhaps you're indifferent, which is worse.

In other news, I just finished Kate Cohen's book 'We of Little Faith'. Quick and worthwhile read. Maybe to ruffle CC's feathers some more in the future, I'll start sprinkling into my posts some mentions of the 613 Jewish commandments that the book referenced on multiple occasions (the author was raised Jewish). Next I'll have to work on familiarizing myself with the Quran so I can quote it freely when responding to CC

Old 01-11-2024, 10:32 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
I rarely read any of it (or contribute) relative to the represented mentality, other than a few subjects which caught my eye recently i.e. this one and a thread on Christmas. That said, the difference in my approach (vs. other atheists) is your/their angry anti-theism, as a whole; it’s evident in all threads, even the aforementioned. Hence, yeah, it’s laughable when an atheist can’t lightly discuss the holiday sans having to hear about the Bible and religion (from other atheists, no less).

That said, what do you mean by I ‘show no concern whatsoever’? I’m simply expressing my opinion in a thread that appears to somewhat align with my perspective (although I am not familiar with the book), and I’m foolishly/angrily told I’m ’batting for the other team’. Yeah, again, it’s laughable.
You're rude

Old 01-11-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're rude
That’s hilarious coming from you (or any in this thread who obnoxiously continue to bicker my opinion as an atheist re: the intolerance of theism or theists, as a whole), particularly relative to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Maybe to ruffle CC's feathers some more in the future, I'll start sprinkling into my posts some mentions of the 613 Jewish commandments that the book referenced on multiple occasions (the author was raised Jewish). Next I'll have to work on familiarizing myself with the Quran so I can quote it freely when responding to CC
It’s all the same to me i.e. meaningless, no matter what religion you are or how you were raised. That’s the point; it doesn’t bother me in the same way it does you. That said, it’s downright bizarre you would suggest familiarizing yourself with the Quran so you can ‘quote it freely’ for me simply because I ignore (and have no interest in) any and every religious text.

My Dad is an atheist; my mom was a Christian, but not committedly so. My family did go to church occasionally when my brother and I were kids; but even then, the emphasis was on community and helping others (as opposed to a god).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-11-2024 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: added quote/response

Old 01-11-2024, 07:30 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
That said, it’s downright bizarre you would suggest familiarizing yourself with the Quran so you can ‘quote it freely’ for me simply because I ignore (and have no interest in) any and every religious text.
Then, ironically, you're missing out on the one thing religion does provide: interesting culture. Yes, it's fiction, but isn't reading fiction books worthwhile?

The holy books are among the most important literary texts there are.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The holy books are among the most important literary texts there are.
Relative to impact/influence on religion, yes. Divine significance/applicability, no (especially relative to atheists).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism