Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 07:37 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is seen as relevant in a health care setting such as hospital or medical center, because health care systems recognize and acknowledge that the element "religion and spirituality" is a factor that contributes to a person's health and well being. That is why it is taken into consideration in providing patient care for people in health care systems.

I know this because i have worked for decades in health care systems and medical centers.
Yes, and they sometimes looked flummoxed when I say "Buddhist". I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 06:07 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
something else also stands out for me in the post above. the part in bold about feeling guilty around others who have different beliefs. that is quite striking.

It brings to mind something i read a little while after reading this post, the same evening. It said, "your attitude toward yourself determines your attitude toward others." the more we accept ourself and our own beliefs, the easier it is to accept others and have that live-and-let-live ease around the existence and presence of different beliefs.

it occurs to me there is a connection between bold above a person "feeling guilty" about their own beliefs.....and that same person feeling "troubled" by other people with different beliefs criticized for "rationalization and compromise."

i like that quote and will sit with it further. It most definitely is relevant to the thread topic.
"your attitude toward yourself determines your attitude toward others."
Sometimes I guess someone might feel guilty for being a nonbeliever in a family of believers, who will then otherwise believe their loved one is "going to hell" or whatever.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:55 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Sometimes I guess someone might feel guilty for being a nonbeliever in a family of believers, who will then otherwise believe their loved one is "going to hell" or whatever.
Not sure I understand...

As a non-believer in a family of believers, the non-believer doesn't believe anyone is going to hell. Right?

Old 03-21-2024, 01:25 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure I understand...

As a non-believer in a family of believers, the non-believer doesn't believe anyone is going to hell. Right?
I openly talk about my atheism with family members, some seem to want to avoid the topic afterwards but that is fine. Politics and religion have no place in the conversation of polite company.

I am noticing though that more and more people are open about their atheism. If one sits at bar long enough, or one hangs out with a group long enough, sooner or later the topic of philosophy or culture will arise and many someones will admit to their atheism, as will I

I don't go around like the Baptists did when I was growing up. "Hi I'm Jimbo Billy Joe Bob....what church do you go to?" or some similar introduction.....And if it invites argument, then that is even more entertaining for them...many of these people, due to their lower self esteem and insecurities, love to argue. SO saying "Atheist" or "Buddhist" may result in a flummoxed look, but many of these people represent a pugnacious mindset that will rebound quickly with "I'm right about everything, you're going to hell"

SO in the end, why even give such a person an answer? Why not do the New York thing and just walk away and ignore them?

Old 03-22-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I openly talk about my atheism with family members, some seem to want to avoid the topic afterwards but that is fine. Politics and religion have no place in the conversation of polite company.

I am noticing though that more and more people are open about their atheism. If one sits at bar long enough, or one hangs out with a group long enough, sooner or later the topic of philosophy or culture will arise and many someones will admit to their atheism, as will I

I don't go around like the Baptists did when I was growing up. "Hi I'm Jimbo Billy Joe Bob....what church do you go to?" or some similar introduction.....And if it invites argument, then that is even more entertaining for them...many of these people, due to their lower self esteem and insecurities, love to argue. SO saying "Atheist" or "Buddhist" may result in a flummoxed look, but many of these people represent a pugnacious mindset that will rebound quickly with "I'm right about everything, you're going to hell"

SO in the end, why even give such a person an answer? Why not do the New York thing and just walk away and ignore them?
Going on some 36 years of marriage, I don't frequent bars like once upon a time anymore, but it just so happens I was in one last night...

I don't agree that politics and religion have no place in the conversation of polite company. Quite the contrary if the company is not only polite but reasonable, adult and able to consider alternative points of view. All the more possible when in the company with people who tend to agree with you. Not a common experience. I'll give you that, but possible with the right people. With some people this is very possible. With others these topics are altogether best avoided. One needs to know their audience is all.

I happened to be in a bar last night for reasons I won't get into here, and I was there for awhile and no mention of politics or religion occurred to my knowledge. The attention was entirely devoted to the TV screens on which the March Madness games where being played out. My attention anyway.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:57 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
When I was a teenager and in my phase of reading about various philosophies and finding my endpoint of something like atheism or maybe agnosticism (kind of a "I don't know and I barely care" thing)... I did have that somewhat rebellious teenager spirit driving a desire to be a bit edgy about it. Mostly the adults around me did the correct thing of ignoring me, seeing me as precisely what I was, an attention seeking young person, and after a while I realized no one cares and I started getting bored of my own drama.

So I would say that there were times that I was surprised at how little social stigma I received for whatever it was I was doing...but as an adult, I will be surprised if I get any from anywhere. But then, I also have not spent time in the deep South...closest I've come are the somewhat culturally "red" parts of VA and NC.

When it comes to my family, well...lol...they know me. I think that they would be very relieved if just not being religious was the weirdest thing that I was up to on any given day. But I have in somewhat recent years, initiated a behavioral shift in myself to try not to be shocking to them anymore. I may still be doing whatever weird crap they don't approve of, but they don't need to know all about it. This was because my Dad has some health issues and recently lost a sibling and I'm not trying to give the man a heart attack. He gets upset too easily.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:40 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
When I was a teenager and in my phase of reading about various philosophies and finding my endpoint of something like atheism or maybe agnosticism (kind of a "I don't know and I barely care" thing)... I did have that somewhat rebellious teenager spirit driving a desire to be a bit edgy about it. Mostly the adults around me did the correct thing of ignoring me, seeing me as precisely what I was, an attention seeking young person, and after a while I realized no one cares and I started getting bored of my own drama.

So I would say that there were times that I was surprised at how little social stigma I received for whatever it was I was doing...but as an adult, I will be surprised if I get any from anywhere. But then, I also have not spent time in the deep South...closest I've come are the somewhat culturally "red" parts of VA and NC.

When it comes to my family, well...lol...they know me. I think that they would be very relieved if just not being religious was the weirdest thing that I was up to on any given day. But I have in somewhat recent years, initiated a behavioral shift in myself to try not to be shocking to them anymore. I may still be doing whatever weird crap they don't approve of, but they don't need to know all about it. This was because my Dad has some health issues and recently lost a sibling and I'm not trying to give the man a heart attack. He gets upset too easily.
bold above is an excellent insight.
actually the whole post is filled with great insights.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
bold above is an excellent insight.
actually the whole post is filled with great insights.
Amazing how sometimes worthwhile comments and insights can be found here in the Atheist/agnostics forum despite all contrary impressions.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Going on some 36 years of marriage, I don't frequent bars like once upon a time anymore, but it just so happens I was in one last night...

I don't agree that politics and religion have no place in the conversation of polite company. Quite the contrary if the company is not only polite but reasonable, adult and able to consider alternative points of view. All the more possible when in the company with people who tend to agree with you. Not a common experience. I'll give you that, but possible with the right people. With some people this is very possible. With others these topics are altogether best avoided. One needs to know their audience is all.

I happened to be in a bar last night for reasons I won't get into here, and I was there for awhile and no mention of politics or religion occurred to my knowledge. The attention was entirely devoted to the TV screens on which the March Madness games where being played out. My attention anyway.
Around here, with 90%+ of the area being some kind of Christian, most of the people in the bar are also going to be Christians. That doesn't mean they are particularly devoted, shoving it down your throat, etc., but I always try to avoid anything contentious like this if there is drinking going on.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:55 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Am I worried about social stigma regarding my agnosticism? Not a bit. If someone has a problem with that, they are not worth my time. I have plenty of christian friends (REAL churchgoers) who are NOT the obnoxious kind of christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism