Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 08:32 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Note that I said stigmatizing, as a verb. Subjective feelings of stigma may or may not be in response to specific stigmatizing actions.

Some of the examples you listed above are discrimination. Calling someone a “devil-worshipper” because they are an atheist is a discriminatory slur. Trying to convert someone or shaming them for a lack of faith because they are an atheist is discriminatory harassment. Just because some Christians would do the same discriminatory things to Jews or Muslims or even the “wrong” types of Christians doesn’t mean it’s not also discrimination against atheists.

And the same is true for atheists who disparage or harass the religious. The major difference, of course, is that it’s extremely rare for atheists to have institutional backing (and therefore systemic power) in support of such discrimination.
then do you seriously consider it "harassment" and "discrimination" when atheists (on this forum for instance) call believers delusional dishonest sheeple? and when they shame and ridicule theists for their faith?

that is a question for any atheists on the forum. do you think that making disparaging remarks, holding different views, holding bigoted views (such as those found in the opening post for instance) is harassment. is complaining about why you dislike religion harassment? is boasting about the superiority of atheism harassment? is disliking the presence of "those people" in your work place, in the neighborhood, at the potluck dinner, is that harassment?

the glaring disconnect and double standard is for an atheist to complain about how they are "viewed" as an atheist, and then turn right around and do the same thing disparaging those who believe differently than they do.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-23-2024 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 09:10 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
then do you seriously consider it "harassment" and "discrimination" when atheists (on this forum for instance) call believers delusional dishonest sheeple? and when they shame and ridicule theists for their faith?

that is a question for any atheists on the forum. do you think that making disparaging remarks, holding different views, holding bigoted views (such as those found in the opening post for instance) is harassment. is complaining about why you dislike religion harassment? is boasting about the superiority of atheism harassment? is disliking the presence of "those people" in your work place, in the neighborhood, at the potluck dinner, is that harassment?

the glaring disconnect and double standard is for an atheist to complain about how they are "viewed" as an atheist, and then turn right around and do the same thing disparaging those who believe differently than they do.
There's no difference in how an atheist feels about being harassed and discriminated against than if the same things were being done by Christians (or any other faith group) to Jews. You, of all people, should understand that. Your opinions of atheists seem to be entirely one-sided as far as how they express their opinions on religion, however. Most of them seem to be pretty much of the mindset that they simply want to be left alone, IMHO.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:33 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
As I said:
Quote:
And the same is true for atheists who disparage or harass the religious. The major difference, of course, is that it’s extremely rare for atheists to have institutional backing (and therefore systemic power) in support of such discrimination.
It’s not the same in the sense that atheists don’t have the power and institutional backing (which, again, is important, just as prejudice by white people has a far greater societal impact than prejudice from people of color) but it’s just as wrong from a moral standpoint. I do not condone it.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:15 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
All our friends and several relatives are quite religious, although not in your face so. So I dutifully bow my head during grace and if asked just say I'm not much of a church goer although I do attend sometimes. I like looking at the architecture and if paying attention analyzing the absurdity of what is being preached. They don't need to know my real feelings.
Years ago before retiring, I had some friends with whom we would sometimes trade off fixing dinner. When I was at their house, there would always be a brief christian prayer before we began eating. I was a Buddhist even then, and would just sit silently. At my house, nothing...we just ate. Then one evening I decided to turn the table, and, at my house, I said a brief Buddhist sort of prayer, and when I was done they asked, "Why would you do that when you know we're not Buddhist?" And I responded, "Why do you say a christian prayer when I am at your house when you know I'm Buddhist?" "Well, that's different!" Really?

Old 02-23-2024, 11:16 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

In other words, the minority should just shut up.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:17 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Absolutely not, no one knows what I believe and I don't want to know what they believe.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:45 PM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Nope. It's never bothered me. I've never made any attempt to hide it. I don't go around announcing it but if someone asks, I tell them.
I just think if people are going to view / treat me differently because I'm an unbeliever then they're probably not people worth knowing and the type of people I wouldn't want to associate with. I thought believers were suppose to be full of love anyway. A bit hypocritical of them otherwise.
I've always lived in liberal environments though so...

Old 02-23-2024, 01:44 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I don't usually mention that I'm an atheist. I don't see that it is relevant to most non-romantic relationships.

However, if some damned deist is yattering on and on about their god (especially if they've knocked on my door to do so), I'll tell them I'm not interested because I'm an atheist. That shuts most of them up.
A few try to reason or convert, at which point I tell them that I think deists aren't good at logic.
If they persist, I am not above telling them I think their ideas are stupid.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
I am not sure if I am completely an atheist.

I think there might be some kind of God or supreme intelligence that sprouted our universe or multiverse, if there is such a thing.

But I am highly doubtful that such a God has any influence on our lives or even knows or cares about our existence.

I guess I try to have it both ways.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:21 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't usually mention that I'm an atheist. I don't see that it is relevant to most non-romantic relationships.

However, if some damned deist is yattering on and on about their god (especially if they've knocked on my door to do so), I'll tell them I'm not interested because I'm an atheist. That shuts most of them up.
A few try to reason or convert, at which point I tell them that I think deists aren't good at logic.
If they persist, I am not above telling them I think their ideas are stupid.
iis it arassment to tell people their ideas are stupid and they are not good at logic? Shaming, disparaging, ridiculing the beliefs of others is a behavior that the opening post objected to. And that behavior is seen in the post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism