Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,485,215 times

Advertisements

For some reason I tend to find that I have little use for Christian Bookstores.

In all sincerity, I don't really care where I shop. I hate shopping. Period. So, if there's a place close by that has something I need I really don't care if there's a forty foot Jesus statue holding a trident with a sign that says "You will burn in righteous hellfire!" Depending on the prices and the availability of merchandise, I might just head in there if for nothing else than sheer curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,298,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I really don't care if there's a forty foot Jesus statue holding a trident with a sign that says "You will burn in righteous hellfire!"
Jesus with a trident....wow, I'd shop there just because of that!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,285,537 times
On occasion, I've not shopped at a store that was in-your-face religious, but generally it isn't on my conscious list. They have to be obvious about it. I don't eat at any fast food place, so I never noticed the chik a fil.

When I moved to this area, they had sunday blue laws that were a a real PITA. Most businesses were none to pleased about them either as they lost a lot of business. They finally overturned them and it is normal now.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,981,201 times
Most of Utah is closed on Sunday - restaurants, many stores, little shops, etc. In Salt Lake City, b/c of the diversity (religion-wise) there are more places open on Sunday than in the rest of the state. Just something to get used to!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,371,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Most of Utah is closed on Sunday - restaurants, many stores, little shops, etc. In Salt Lake City, b/c of the diversity (religion-wise) there are more places open on Sunday than in the rest of the state. Just something to get used to!
In North Carolina it used to be that way. They called them Blue Laws. If you wanted a drink on Sunday you had better have gone to the ABC story on Saturday or be willing to drive to South Carolina. Prior to the repeal you had to bring your own bottle (Brown Bagging) to a club or restaurant if you wanted a drink also. I suspect most people got a snoot full with that plan. It was and is still illegal to have an open bottle in the car with you, so unless you wanted to throw the bottle away you had to finish it.
It was sort of fun to watch the ABC stores on Saturday afternoon and see all the people slip in and out; parking in back like it was one of those adult book stores. To this day I think my mother sends some one to the store for her fruit cake brandy. She still thinks it is not a place for a lady.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:38 PM

238 posts, read 625,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
never had such a problem here in the uk or anywhere else for that matter. It does annoy me that practically all of france is closed on sundays.

Actually, it wasn't so long ago that almost everything in the UK was closed on Sundays. England and Wales still limit by law the opening hours of most shops on Sundays. In Scotland, local councils determine opening hours. You cannot get ferry/air service to/from many of the Western Isles (an area dominated by the Free Church of Scotland)on Sundays. You cannot buy methylated spirits (denatured alcohol--a product used for wood finishing) in Scotland on Sundays (not sure about England, Wales, or NI).

Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,488,302 times
None that I can think of. Now I believe chick fila is closed for religious reasons on Sundays. Sucks because their sweet tea is ever so good!!! But as far as the food Imo its overpriced for what you get. Its like 5 or 6 bucks for a combo that a 2 yr old would not even get full.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:08 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,298,367 times
Can't believe that I forgot this; I do buy Dr. Bronners Castile soap and Bragg's liquid aminos as well as other Bragg products.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 AM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
I may just not have noticed, but I have not seen any overtly Christian business anywhere in Canada, although I'm sure there must be a few.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,348,745 times
Dr. Bronner's is the only soap I can use that doesn't make me sick. I've been using it for over 3 decades with no ill effects. (Except for the recycled plastic they used a few years ago. Luckily they changed products).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism