Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,643,187 times

Advertisements

I truly see my atheistic view of the world in a very positive manner and don't think of it in terms of just not believing in God. Here's a couple of qualities that I see as any being very positive not just in my own life but for society in general:
1. Taking responsibility for my own actions. Life doesn't come with a set of instructions and we do our best to make the most of our lives. As an atheist I realize that as someone who doesn't feel obligated to follow a set of established religious rules that I must make judgements about my own behavior based on my own life experiences and my inherent sense of right and wrong. I think it's a positive contribution to society to acknowledge the differences in human beings and the importance of equality and fair treatment to all ethnic and racial groups, religions, sexual minorities, people with disabilities and anyone who's being unjustly mistreated and this would certainly include women in many parts of the world.

2. Being a part of a positive future trend. I believe that as more and more people come to realize that this life is all we have and we need to make the most of it that it will create a greater sense of urgency in solving the problems of the human race. There are many people who go through life and feel that this suffering is just temporary and that an afterlife of eternal happiness makes it all worthwhile. When people really grasp the concept that there isn't going to be an afterlife it makes every day we've alive all that more important. We need to share the resources of this planet and look beyond the rivalries of one nation verus another and work towards the common good of everyone. We waste vast amounts of resources, not to mention human lives, fighting wars and trying to dominate each other. Nationalism, religious rivalries, and often just the power of an egomaniac who wants more power have kept mankind backwards for as long as we've existed. I see atheism as looking at the world in a realistic manner and seeing what it really is because atheists tend to think for themselves and if I could choose any other word to describe myself it would be a realist. I see that as being very positive.

Those are just my own personal thoughts about my atheism and why I think it's positive and benefits society. What are your thoughts on this subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:54 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,805,833 times
I would say I have less guilt because of my Atheism and I'm not constantly worrying about if my behavior will please some invisible deity.

People are who close-minded and know about my Atheism are less likely to talk to me, which I consider a bonus.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,182,207 times
Being free and without fear of making a "mistake" and going you-know-where.
Ability to realize my mistakes and take responsibility to correct them, not relying on "someone" else's forgiveness.
Live life to the fullest, because this is the only life i have.
Ask questions and seek answers, no matter how hard questions might be, there is always a reasonable answer, not a miracle.
Live, love and be happy!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 PM

17,847 posts, read 13,771,917 times
Although I am not an athiest (I am a Bokononist) I am grateful that I do not have to make sense out of a religion that makes no sense.

"I wanted all things to make sense............
So we could all be happy instead of tense."

Bokonon

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-03-2008 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,667,429 times
I think the most positive aspect of my atheism is not living with false hope and blind faith. Not praying for something to be done, but doing what needs to be done.

The older the theory, the less educated the guess. We know more now then we did when the so called "good book" was written.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:28 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,331,618 times
For me I enjoy trying to be a somewhat good person without the instruction of gawd.

It also helps remind me that life is pretty short and I need to spend more time living it than being an indispensable part of some self aggrandizing machine.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,964,068 times
While I'm not an atheist (agnostic), I have actually found that I am a better person -- more caring, patient, and understanding of other people than I was when I was a "believer".

Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,009,734 times
Not being bound by some ridiculous rule. Living life just for yourself is great.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,027,919 times
...All of the above. I think I am a Diest...I do believe that we had some sort of "creator", as far as the Big Bang and Nature and Universal Energy, etc...but I do not accept traditional Christian beliefs. Hence, I am responsible for my actions, I work to make things happen (or not), I am as good a person as I know how to be and I try my darndest to live by The Golden Rule, which is not religious, it's simply common sense.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:33 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,009,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I am as good a person as I know how to be and I try my darndest to live by The Golden Rule, which is not religious, it's simply common sense.
Very true.
I don't know why christians think that morality can't exist without religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism