Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:45 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times

Advertisements

I work at a calling center and it offers extra hours on Sunday. I basically do surveys over the phone but people think I'm trying to sell something or change their phone service.
In any case, on Sundays I get about 5-7 people who respond, "Do you realize it's Sunday?" or "I don't take these calls on Sunday."

So my fellow atheists, agnostics, Humanists, etc, does Sunday have any special meaning for you?

I consider it just another day and it happens to be one of the two days MOST Christians go to church. I don't see why it's so special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,905,675 times
Maybe because for many people it's one of the few days "off" they have in a week?

Nothing personal but if I wanted to take surveys on a Sunday (or any other day for that matter) I'd ring you. Just don't hold your breath waiting for my call ok?

Old 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,979 times
No offense but I'd be pissed no matter what day of the week you called, lol.

As for Sunday being special to me, no it isn't. Heck, I've been working most of the day on a project for a client. Won't charge them any more or any less for working today than any other day.

When I worked scheduled work I would offer to work people's Sunday just because I respected their desire to be with their family or whatever on that day. Same with holidays like Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. Sure I enjoy those holidays but it doesn't hold any major significance to me.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,290 times
I hate telemarketing calls, i usually hang up without any farther questions...
As far as Sunday, it's a weekend, don't bug me! It has nothing to do with religion.
Same with 7pm dinner time!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,362 times
Sunday means seeing family and that sort of thing because everyone is off work, but has no special connotation otherwise.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times
Sunday is just a day like any other.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Maybe because for many people it's one of the few days "off" they have in a week?

Nothing personal but if I wanted to take surveys on a Sunday (or any other day for that matter) I'd ring you. Just don't hold your breath waiting for my call ok?

Ha, it's fine. I still get paid even if I call 250+ people and no one takes a survey.
I prefer it when people just say, "Put me on your do not call list" rather than being a jerk and just screaming at me.

I had a guy Saturday that yelling at me, "You called me two days ago. What's it going to take to get me off your freaking list?"

I said, "Well sir, I'm pretty sure I didn't call you the other day but I'll make a note of your request. Thank you for your time and have a good afternoon."

Jerk: "I don't care if it wasn't you!!"

Me: Well sir, I'll make a not of your request, thank you for your time.

Jerk: My request??!!! Request my foot!! Take me off your freaking list now!!"

Me: I'll make a not of your request. Thank you for your time.

Jerk: If you call this number again, I'll get a lawyer.

I also love the people who are like, "I'm on the do not call list."
Well, so am I but surveys are exempt from the do not call list.

I'm just doing my job but it's all good. I get paid to **** people off so, it's kind of fun sometimes.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I work at a calling center and it offers extra hours on Sunday. I basically do surveys over the phone but people think I'm trying to sell something or change their phone service.
In any case, on Sundays I get about 5-7 people who respond, "Do you realize it's Sunday?" or "I don't take these calls on Sunday."

So my fellow atheists, agnostics, Humanists, etc, does Sunday have any special meaning for you?

I consider it just another day and it happens to be one of the two days MOST Christians go to church. I don't see why it's so special.
I try to take Sunday off, and spend it with my wife. I work long hours during the week, and on Saturday I will need to catch up with the yard work and things around the house. Sunday is our day together, we may sit around or go to dinner and a movie, but it is just our time regardless.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,066 times
For me it's a second saturday.

Sometimes, I mow the lawn around 9am.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
I just don't answer any call that is listed as unknown or has a number I don't recognize. Sunday is the last day of the weekend so I like Saturday better. I think observant Jews and Jehovah Witnesses would be more offended on Sat. calls. And isn't the holy day for Muslims Friday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism