Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 07:15 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I hate to go way off topic, but water isn't 'really' "Wet". Nor is the sky Really Blue or the material of the computer you are using really Solid. These are all the results of human perception that presents (as it were) a conventionalised sensory image of what a bunch of molecules are doing based on your molecules' interactions with them.

But don't worry. We can go on functioning without bothering about such things, as they reliably work, which is the only 'Reality' we have to worry about, just as the choice -mechanism of 'free will' as it is called really isn't free or willed, very often. But it works as though it was.

Never mind about it, and back to topic.
So, it's all an illusion; but we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere in order to enjoy our fleeting moments in time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 07:30 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I...
It matters how we fight and how we win.
Why do you need to "win?" Why is winning so important to atheists? Who are you winning against?

Is atheism anti Islam, anti Buddha, anti Hindu, anti other religions, or just anti Christian?

Old 03-20-2021, 08:30 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why do you need to "win?" Why is winning so important to atheists? Who are you winning against?

Is atheism anti Islam, anti Buddha, anti Hindu, anti other religions, or just anti Christian?
I am sorry. Win is just a word that means we are trying to overcome irrational, oppression, and self serving.

I don't care what people believe I care how people believe. It matters how we fight and how we win.

Please, Address the notion of "how we debate" not the words "win" or "fight".

Old 03-20-2021, 08:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
So, it's all an illusion; but we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere in order to enjoy our fleeting moments in time?
That is a subject for another thread, where it is the topic. Though if you re read and think about my post, you may find I already answered that.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I can not begin to argue with anyone who proclaims water isn't really wet...your knowledge is of a different plane, and I can not compete. I can only sit in wonder.
No, you cant discuss with me. I like the wonder part. That shows some hope.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Great general statement again.

Lets put values in for "If x= ___ then ..." and see who is doing what.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:

Since it is very relevant to topic, I might step in here, especially as the Arachnid, though wearing his atheist costume, is more anti -atheist than most Christians.

Thus he will make all sorts of immoderate statements about how 'we' atheists want to deal with theists and pretend they represent atheist thinking.

But to answer you point, technically we disagree with any god -claim. That's it. But as individuals who are non - believers, how does that affect your life?

Technically and logically, a non -believer will be as 'anti' the god - claim as respects zoroastrianism or Samaritanism as much as Christianity or Islam. But the fact is that the latter will affect his life a sight more than the former, whom most will be surprised to know even exist today.

If the atheist elects to become active (a great many don't), what do they do? What is the aim, objective, method and strategy? Putting the Other Side of the endlessly repeated god -claim is an obvious first step.

Already we are 'anti -religion' by just doing that. And, sure the Believers are going to act like you just torched his car. But that they can't bear it that their claims are being questioned doesn't make us wrong to do it.

Winning? That's what debate is all about. Who has the best case? What's so wrong with that? What's wrong with a purported 'one of us' who thinks that there is something wrong about it?

Old 03-20-2021, 10:22 AM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:

Winning is no more important to atheists than it is to christians.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:25 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Verdammt, you beat me to it.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:55 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Much as you and I have disagreed on so many things, I agree with you on this. That's why I posed the question in the first place. I don't understand the logic of having to "win" nor do I understand why that "winning" seems to be almost exclusively focused on Christianity.

For example, I can understand the logic of an atheist believing there is no deity of any religion. But I don't understand the atheist focus so specifically on God of the Christian religion. And, if one "wins" what have you "won?" What does the atheist gain by winning? All they've done is take away something from someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism