Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 01:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,597,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Since it is very relevant to topic, I might step in here, especially as the Arachnid, though wearing his atheist costume, is more anti -atheist than most Christians.

Thus he will make all sorts of immoderate statements about how 'we' atheists want to deal with theists and pretend they represent atheist thinking.

nipped for space ...
Again with the misrepresentation.

I am not anti-atheist, I am anti-trans-sect of atheism.

I am against your type of atheist that evaluates reliability of beliefs based on ...

Sortagod cannot be allowed to pass through inattention or being worn down with constant nagging, because it hands theism the logical default for free. Without their having to produce anything but fallacious arguments.

That is what i am against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 04:02 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Much as you and I have disagreed on so many things, I agree with you on this. That's why I posed the question in the first place. I don't understand the logic of having to "win" nor do I understand why that "winning" seems to be almost exclusively focused on Christianity.

For example, I can understand the logic of an atheist believing there is no deity of any religion. But I don't understand the atheist focus so specifically on God of the Christian religion. And, if one "wins" what have you "won?" What does the atheist gain by winning? All they've done is take away something from someone else.
But that does work both ways.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:09 PM

12,858 posts, read 9,076,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But that does work both ways.
Again, no argument from me. If you on a personal level so "no" to another religion, that's your personal choice and your right. So back to the original why is it about winning over the Christian?

Old 03-20-2021, 09:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
There are perhaps 2 kinds of debates - outside the forum, I mean. The one where both sides debate, they are given a round of applause and that's it.

The other is where a survey of how many of each supporters have turned up is taken at first, and after to see how the level of support has changed. That is considered as showing who 'won' the debate and should indicate who made the best case.

That is the significance of the 'win' and it is a legitimate one.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:45 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Again, no argument from me. If you on a personal level so "no" to another religion, that's your personal choice and your right. So back to the original why is it about winning over the Christian?
I can only speak for myself. I don't want to win over the christian. I want the christian to mind his own business.

Old 03-21-2021, 03:35 AM

16,804 posts, read 5,000,668 times
Quote:
Much as you and I have disagreed on so many things, I agree with you on this. That's why I posed the question in the first place. I don't understand the logic of having to "win" nor do I understand why that "winning" seems to be almost exclusively focused on Christianity.

For example, I can understand the logic of an atheist believing there is no deity of any religion. But I don't understand the atheist focus so specifically on God of the Christian religion.
They do not focus on your god, they focus on the god of the Christians, Jews and Muslims because most of us live in countries dominated by Abrahamic religions. In the US, this is usually the Christian version.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There are perhaps 2 kinds of debates - outside the forum, I mean. The one where both sides debate, they are given a round of applause and that's it.

The other is where a survey of how many of each supporters have turned up is taken at first, and after to see how the level of support has changed. That is considered as showing who 'won' the debate and should indicate who made the best case.

That is the significance of the 'win' and it is a legitimate one.
It matters how we win.

Using phrases like ... If you are not talking a god here (it's alive but not with a planning, intelligent, will) you are off topic. Remember the only reason for atheists to be here is in refuting the claim of a theism or religion or at least a spirituality. We are not here to put forward speculative non -theist alternatives. Take them to the science forum and argue them there. I'm not going to keep on explaining this.

To win the debate that way is shady at best. Its what theist do.

Moderator cut: Quit bringing up politics.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-21-2021 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Politics. Again.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:04 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,015,772 times
The males of atheism have already won. Evolution is taught as a fact. The win is enforcing views at every step including in homes. To allow people to live as they like is victimizing for some others.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
A post like that should tell anyone who cares whether we believe 'as many true things as possible' (as Dillahunty put it) why it was necessary to do this. Does America really want a society of Flat earthists where there is NO 'teaching of the controversy' about that?

I said elsewhere the other day that the religious debate was already won. The evolution debate has been won. The problem is getting the result out to a people who 45% don't want to hear it.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The males of atheism have already won. Evolution is taught as a fact. The win is enforcing views at every step including in homes. To allow people to live as they like is victimizing for some others.
Its not taught as fact. Its taught more as "this is how it looks like man was formed". God believers need to adjust their phrases. "God created man through evolution" and there would be no problem.

I think it would be even better for them to state "It looks like god created man through evolution"

The big difference is that we say "Please, go prove us wrong, how cool would that be."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism