Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 02:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The fear of and hatred for atheism is a learned instinct of the American psyche. It is a form of paranoia and that is what soon produces conspiracy theories. I have watched this happen.

Nipped for space ...

o
especially when we see how some atheist fly the flag of ...

If you are not talking a god here (it's alive but not with a planning, intelligent, will) you are off topic. Remember the only reason for atheists to be here is in refuting the claim of a theism or religion or at least a spirituality. We are not here to put forward speculative non -theist alternatives. Take them to the science forum and argue them there. I'm not going to keep on explaining this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 03:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,018,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Using the polygon wheel example.

My journey is showing people
how to roll all sorts of polygon wheels along with a a round wheel and compare what ones seem to work better.

Yes, to a person like you, me holding to "an eight sided polygon won't work as well as round wheel. What shape do you think will ?" does seem like it is controlling I guess.
It takes quite an ego to think you are any position of showing the next man/adult anything, especially when you can not respect boundaries.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It takes quite an ego to think you are any position of showing the next man/adult anything, especially when you can not respect boundaries.
Remember what this about. It about helping people evaluate claims they hear all the time. I go to a cook when i need food help, and accountant when I need tax help, and a mechanic when I need car help.

We can apply your notion of "they must have a real ego to think they can help you." to them too.

We still have to figure a way to decide who is doing what tho.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:44 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,018,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Remember what this about. It about helping people evaluate claims they hear all the time. I go to a cook when i need food help, and accountant when I need tax help, and a mechanic when I need car help.

We can apply your notion of "they must have a real ego to think they can help you." to them too.

We still have to figure a way to decide who is doing what tho.
Remember to read the title of the threads. This thread is about persuasion, not asking for help.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yeah, again, we have to see who is doing what gabfest. We could use actual claims to see who is doing what.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:54 AM

7,598 posts, read 6,100,756 times
We, as Atheists, Need to tell our stories, and we need to contribute to the overall Atheist community. We need to show that we do not need religion, and yet we can form and contribute to Atheist communities which exist to further ourselves, our community, without the need for belief in some deity somewhere.

We need to be vocal in our support of groups like Freedom from religion foundation, and we need to use our insights, knowledge, experiences to improve our world.

Religion has failed in several ways and continues to do so. By failing to enable personal responsibility, by allowing mythology and superstition to influence politics, laws and such, and by contributing to poor mental health (and we all know that it has) Religions have contributed to a decreased potential of the human experience.

We do not need a religion to influence stem cell research, for example. Nor do we need religious leaders trying to tell people what vaccine they can and cannot get. What we need is for religion to leave it's nose out of the lives of the non-religious, we need people to realize that what they are following lacks any evidence, and sadly, lacks a certain degree of social redemption, as evidenced by the behavior of religious peoples !

We as Atheists , as humanists, need to step up and let people know and help them to understand these issues.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Yes. That's the bottom line. We (the atheist community as a whole) have something to say and something to do, and never mind that others don't want to hear it or have us do it. We have every right to do it, just as they have every right to make their persuasions and push for the way they reckon society out to be.

Unlike too many of them, atheism doesn't require every atheist to join us on the barricades. Just so long as they don't join the other side. We are, after all, fighting for their right to be irreligious. Which is why not a few irreligious theists (which usually what half of 'agnostics'are - the other half being non -believers who don't know that's what atheism is) are alongside us, too. They know that their right to 'Believe what they like' - and their kids too) is on the line. They have seen how religious fundamentalism has been looking to take over society, Politics, Law and education.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:40 AM

I think we can show a positive attitude by talking them about beliefs when talking about beliefs and talking to them about religion when talking about religion.

Things like a cosmic mind unversed are a reliable alternative to a deity. The claim has enough evidence that it is not a violation to say it. At least it has a ton more than any thing I hear from religion. To be clear, I doesn't see a cosmic mind but I can make a case for it.

I think another area is making clear that atheist believe is all sorts of things but we do not believe in a deity. When I mean "believe in something", that doesn't mean I believe the Philadelphia eagles are going to beat up on the Giants. I mean about this stuff.

Talking to them about when we can justify a law without the god it seems to be a more reliable and less bigotted and racist.

When we approach them with an agenda like "we need to fight every claim so we don't give them ammo" is just not most honest thing we can do.

But what do I know, I am a traitor to atheism.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We, as Atheists, Need to tell our stories, and we need to contribute to the overall Atheist community. We need to show that we do not need religion, and yet we can form and contribute to Atheist communities which exist to further ourselves, our community, without the need for belief in some deity somewhere.

We need to be vocal in our support of groups like Freedom from religion foundation, and we need to use our insights, knowledge, experiences to improve our world.

Religion has failed in several ways and continues to do so. By failing to enable personal responsibility, by allowing mythology and superstition to influence politics, laws and such, and by contributing to poor mental health (and we all know that it has) Religions have contributed to a decreased potential of the human experience.

We do not need a religion to influence stem cell research, for example. Nor do we need religious leaders trying to tell people what vaccine they can and cannot get. What we need is for religion to leave it's nose out of the lives of the non-religious, we need people to realize that what they are following lacks any evidence, and sadly, lacks a certain degree of social redemption, as evidenced by the behavior of religious peoples !

We as Atheists , as humanists, need to step up and let people know and help them to understand these issues.
Good post.

But I won't join freed from religion anymore than I would join the NRA.

But the rest of your post is spot on.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:45 AM

16,023 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

Freedom from religion foundation. Is this an Atheist group? How do you support atheist groups without becoming members?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism