Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,383,316 times

Advertisements

You can't group all Atheists together as one, some are so because they are independent, self governing thinkers that can accept the beauty in life without the need for a greater power. Some are scorned ex religion followers that turned their back on a faith following a tragedy. For this reason no I would not. I do not want to be grouped with people that are so arrogant that they deemed them selves worthy of Gods intervention on something they thought significant.
For those that remain loyal to a faith you will not change their minds and why would you want too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,027,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I won't try to persuade anybody of anything other than to think for themselves.
My atheism is for me alone...
I agree totally. If asked about my beliefs I will answer (I'm not an atheist...I am Agnostic/Buddhist/Diest (?)...) but trying to persuade anyone to think the same as I do would be an infringement upon their rights, sort of. I would rather other people search for their own truth than follow mine.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:22 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,358,549 times
Default Should We As Atheists Try To Persuade Others To Consider The Positive Influence Of Atheism?

ABSOLUTLEY!!

You all could get your hair all fluffed up, dress like elvis and yell..

Hallalooooooyaa... Praaaaaze the proton.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,641,992 times
Well I see my idea is going over like an unclean spirit at a baptism. I guess some of us see this a little differently. I do recognize that someone who is very religious to begin with is not someone I'm going to have this conversation with unless they bring it up. I realize that many people don't want to be preached to and I definitely don't want to come across that way. I especially wouldn't want to offend anyone by suggesting that the most important belief in their life might be dead wrong. I have to tell you though that I've had some very interesting conversations with people about atheism and why I think the way that I do and I even had a religious friend of mine admit that I know more details about the Christian religion than she does. I guess my main motivation is to make people realize that atheists can make a positive contribution to society like anyone else and to try to explain why the negative stereotype and stigma of being an atheist is not justified. I don't believe that everyone has to think just like I do, that would be arrogant and I'd be just as wrong as a right wing fundamentalist, some of whom take particular delight in reminding me that I'm going to spend eternity in hell just because I don't share their beliefs. I hope I'm making some sense, the bottom line is that I am going to stand up for what I believe in (or don't believe in) and when it feels appropriate I'm going to express the feelings I have about being an atheist.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,472,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Well I see my idea is going over like an unclean spirit at a baptism. I guess some of us see this a little differently. I do recognize that someone who is very religious to begin with is not someone I'm going to have this conversation with unless they bring it up. I realize that many people don't want to be preached to and I definitely don't want to come across that way. I especially wouldn't want to offend anyone by suggesting that the most important belief in their life might be dead wrong. I have to tell you though that I've had some very interesting conversations with people about atheism and why I think the way that I do and I even had a religious friend of mine admit that I know more details about the Christian religion than she does. I guess my main motivation is to make people realize that atheists can make a positive contribution to society like anyone else and to try to explain why the negative stereotype and stigma of being an atheist is not justified. I don't believe that everyone has to think just like I do, that would be arrogant and I'd be just as wrong as a right wing fundamentalist, some of whom take particular delight in reminding me that I'm going to spend eternity in hell just because I don't share their beliefs. I hope I'm making some sense, the bottom line is that I am going to stand up for what I believe in (or don't believe in) and when it feels appropriate I'm going to express the feelings I have about being an atheist.
Well, I agree with this. When asked, I will say I am an Atheist and it almost never fails that I am asked a variety of different questions about it. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they're asking the questions to try and prove you wrong or if they're just curious. Nevertheless, I don't feel like I should have to hide behind it or that I have to be dishonest about it for fear of reprisal. It's truly hard to gauge the way some people are going to react though. The most calm, level-headed individual can turn into a raving lunatic when the topic of religion is brought up - only religion has the power to do something that obscene. Then there are those who don't care and are just curious because of conversation. I prefer to avoid the topic simply because people have this uncanny knack to be obnoxiously rude, judgmental, and unforgiving about religion regardless of how 'sane' they normally are.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,641,992 times
Troop wrote:
Quote:
Well, I agree with this. When asked, I will say I am an Atheist and it almost never fails that I am asked a variety of different questions about it. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they're asking the questions to try and prove you wrong or if they're just curious.
Since you write some of the best posts on this forum in my opinion I'd hate to be the person who gets into a conversation with you to try to prove you wrong. I think they'd have their hands full.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Seriously.
I'd be facinated to see what the "church of atheism's" dogma would be.
No doubt, if some of the brighter minds on this forum contributed to it, I'm sure I'd benefit.
As one who is awed by "creation" ( you guy's would use a different word), I might even join your congregation.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,963,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Seriously.
I'd be facinated to see what the "church of atheism's" dogma would be.
No doubt, if some of the brighter minds on this forum contributed to it, I'm sure I'd benefit.
As one who is awed by "creation" ( you guy's would use a different word), I might even join your congregation.
God forbid that they come up with one (pun intended). I much prefer freethinking to dogmas! First there would be just atheists, then some would think that they are more atheist than some other and would split off to become fundamentalist atheists, then others would want orthodox atheism, then someone would break off of them to become Reformed atheists, and then of course the Primitive Atheists would show up.

Even amongst us agnostics we have our divisions "Atheistic Agnostics" (those who doubt the existence of a deity, but want more data to finally decide) and "Agnostic Theists" (those like me who believe that a "something" exists, but we just don't know what "it" is). Then there are those Deists....woo! Codifying it would just make things even more confusing.

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-13-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,541,077 times
Watchout for those snake-handlin Atheists

Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Watchout for those snake-handlin Atheists

Yea. And they speak in lips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism