Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
cncracer wrote:

I actually think that the peak of the religious right influence was much earlier than Bush Jr's Presidency, I think it was during the years of Ronald Reagan and also Newt Gingrich. I think that the really extreme far right have been on the decline for quite awhile although politics is very unpredictable. One thing that could be a problem is when a very conservative President like Bush has two terms in office he is likely to replace Supreme Court members which of course has happened. This can have a long lasting effect because they're there for life and some of the more liberal members of the Supreme Court are very old and it's likely that the next President will have to replace a couple of them. It would really suck if the Republicans would win in November. So far issues like creationism being taught in public schools, public displays of the Ten Commandments in government buildings, etc. have all been won by those who support the separation of church and state but all of that could change if we have another Republican administration so I really think there's alot at stake in this year's election. I'm hopeful that Americans will come to their senses but I'm not taking anything for granted.
I agree but I'd just like to point out that the Dover Trial, in which the proponents of Intelligent Design were castigated for almost perjuring themselves to lie for Jesus, the presiding judge was a Bush-appointed judge. If ever there were a chance for ID to weave its nasty ugly head into schools than that was the time.

That was a Bush appointed judge... Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
While I've not pretended to be of another religion, I don't go willingly announcing my atheism, either. I live in the bible belt, and the first thing you get asked when you meet somebody is "What's your name? Which church do you attend?" ... normally when this happens I just say "I haven't found a church that suits me."
Try living in a small town in the Bible belt or do you? You keep your mouth shut or else?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:07 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,162 times
My hubby keeps his atheism to himself on a daily basis. He is a Hospice RN in the bible belt. Only his co-workers know his stance, and usually people that meet him think he is too kind and generous to be an atheist. Each morning his company has a phone conference to go over patient status and they end with a prayer. He told me the other day that it bothers him that he can hear people clicking off during the prayer - people who claim to be Christian.
We understand where we live and respect the culture that surrounds us, for the most part. I skirt the issue when talking with parents of my sons friends, but work in an ultra liberal environment and don't hide any of my reasoning there.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
So have you ever found yourself in an awkward situation and you chose to pretend that you were religious just to avoid the unpleasant consequences? Also, let me say that I'm not being judgemental of anyone who felt the need to do this, I'm just curious.
Yep, all the time to family. My close family and non-religious family know my beliefs but it's much, much easier on our family overall (thinking of my parents here) for me to sidestep the issue when talking with my fundamentalist relatives. I'm lucky that while my immediate family is more or less religious, they're not judgmental about others' beliefs.

Then there was one time when I was working at a Home Depot as a vendor. I was helping some people, had been with them for about 15 minutes. We were wrapping it up, making friendly idle chatter as happens in the South, when out of nowhere the lady comes up with, "Do you know Jesus?"

I had to bite my tongue really hard, because I'm a smartass at heart. If she hadn't been so nice, and genuine, I would've responded with "Yeah, we got drunk last night!"

I just said "Yes, ma'am," and walked on.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 PM

318 posts, read 934,253 times
No I would NEVER EVER pretend to be religious I'm Agnostic and don't have the time of day for religions although I respect people that choose to follow a religion. I have never had any situation where it would cause some tension and if it did well it would be on their part so they could shove it as I would never change the way I am just to make a situation better. I don't go around shouting that I'm an Agnostic but I don't keep it to myself either and anyone that asks I will tell them that I'm Agnostic.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I lived in the US for 3 years and I have to admit I was quite shocked at some of the "Kooks" I met , especially in the Deep South... I quite quickly realised that I could never live in that part of the world, as I would not only become a social Pariah but also quite possibly go insane with frustration and might even kill myself with helpless mirth at things like creationism.

I posted to this thread before. I found that living in the Bible Belt where I live has caused me to have a lot of fears, fears that cause me to be a little depressed because I feel I can't say what I think. I can't fight back because maybe they would retaliate. But you know what. I can't live with that fear. This fear is not just because I am not a Christian, it is because I am a democrat, because I am for gay rights, etc. So I stand around and listen to hogwash and then become frustration and bummed out. Well, I am going to face my fears and next time someone says something I will most definately say what I think. Someone told me that this country is not Nazi Germany, we do have freedom of speech. Well, I am not sure that we do have freedom of speech, but it made me realize that what our founding fathers TRIED to do for us was a good and precious things. It made me realize that freedom of speech and religion is very important and that I should exercise those rights. It made me realize how the Jews must have felt in their fear and why people left Europe for freedom of religion. And I am not the only one in the town where I have moved that has fear of saying what they think.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-10-2008 at 06:23 AM..

Old 10-10-2008, 01:05 PM

It also made me realize that I should proof read my posts before I post them. LOL.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Even when I believed, I never pretended to be religious and was always questioning things. Boy did that get me in a lot of trouble at Catholic School!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
No, I don't hide my atheistic tendencies, I make jokes about religion. Last week, one of my co-workers asked me "Did you know that there are some people who don't believe the world was created in 6 days?" The poor guy was quite serious, When I responded "Yup, I'm one of them", he responded with "WELL, I'm a fundamentalist!" to which I replied "Fundamentalism is religion with out a sence of humor", he hasn't spoken to me since, precisely the result I had hoped for.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:31 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
I did as a child. My parents raised us to be atheists, but didn't give us (or at least me) any guidance on how to handle the horrible reactions we got from other children and adults. I was a particularly awkward child and I found that lying was just a lot easier. Then, in college I switched directions and was too open about my atheism and disdain of religion. I've mellowed a lot now, so I'd never lie and I try very hard to show respect for others' religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism