Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,970,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkotheAussie View Post
Your chaplain is using God name in vain by saying that God's word is flawed and not truthful. He is not a true christian.
Then he will answer to God, if he exists...not you. It is not your place to determine who is a true Christian and who is not.

Quote:
The original written word for day in genesis 1 has the literal meaning of a 24 hour period with one sunrise and one sunset.
Even the Jews, who wrote Genesis BTW, would vehemently disagree with you on this. They would tell you that the stories in the Old Testament are to teach and are not necessarily historical accounts. It was their book first. I tend to believe them.

Quote:
Evolution was a theory (not truth) created by C.Darwin who also stated in his theory of evolution that men were superior to women and that men evolved from women (while in Genesis it says that God made woman from one of Adams ribs. Not man from woman. Another sign of Anti-Creation). Darwin became agnostic on his deathbed with some of his final words including "i was wrong (about atheism)".
The deathbed story is a pop culture fable (Christian anyway) that has no basis in fact. BTW, Darwin WAY before he died wrote the following in two places in his book "Life and Letters" about his personal faith:

"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an Agnostic."

"I think an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind. The whole subject [of God] is beyond the scope of man's intellect."

At the time of writing "On the Origin of Species" Darwin remained a theist, convinced of the existence of God as a First Cause. In his later life, Darwin was frequently asked about his religious views. He went as far as saying that "Science has nothing to do with Christ, except insofar as the habit of scientific research makes a man cautious in admitting evidence. For myself, I do not believe that there ever has been any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities." However, he was always insistent that he was agnostic and had "never been an atheist".

You know not of what you write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 PM

65 posts, read 181,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Don't know where you heard that nonsense about Darwin on his death bed but I have read and studied a lot about Darwin and never read any such thing...nor did he ever say that men evolved from women. What an absurd statement. My guess is you heard this from the teachings of other fundamentalists. And, evolution is a scientific theory...which is not the same thing as an "idea" theory. Like the theory of relativity, it has been proven. Evolution has been proven, time and again, and is still happening today, but I've been on this forum long enough to know that a fundamentalist will never consider anything but the Bible to possibly be true.

And this is fine...you have every right to your beliefs...but so do I and so does everyone else on this planet. Our Chaplain, by the way, is a wonderful man, who happens to be highly educated and very street-smart, which one has to be to deal with the criminal section of society on a daily basis. He has done more to help inmates (and many others) in this county than all the local fundamentalist Christians rolled into one.
Evolution as never been proven......

Hence the atheistic search for the missing link

Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Then he will answer to God, if he exists...not you. It is not your place to determine who is a true Christian and who is not.

Even the Jews, who wrote Genesis BTW, would vehemently disagree with you on this. They would tell you that the stories in the Old Testament are to teach and are not necessarily historical accounts. It was their book first. I tend to believe them.

The deathbed story is a pop culture fable (Christian anyway) that has no basis in fact. BTW, Darwin WAY before he died wrote the following in two places in his book "Life and Letters" about his personal faith:

"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an Agnostic."

"I think an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind. The whole subject [of God] is beyond the scope of man's intellect."

At the time of writing "On the Origin of Species" Darwin remained a theist, convinced of the existence of God as a First Cause. In his later life, Darwin was frequently asked about his religious views. He went as far as saying that "Science has nothing to do with Christ, except insofar as the habit of scientific research makes a man cautious in admitting evidence. For myself, I do not believe that there ever has been any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities." However, he was always insistent that he was agnostic and had "never been an atheist".

You know not of what you write.
nice one. you have just proven you are no longer an atheist but a follower of Darwin! You treat Darwin as if he were God himself!

I feel sorry for you. You do not know Jesus yet. I hope you do before you die.

Oh and yeh you are right. I am not the one true judge neither are you or Darwin (who is long dead)

How can Jews disagree with how it was written? the word used for day has the meaning of one sunset and one sunrise..

Its like you arguing with the British over the word 'yes' and how they shouldn't have used its meaning to mean "affirmative" but to instead mean "possiblly affirmative but still only speculation"

Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
nice one. you have just proven you are no longer an atheist but a follower of Darwin! You treat Darwin as if he were God himself!
I am not an atheist...never have been. If you had read my first post on this thread you would see that I make it quite clear that I am an agnostic theist.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I am not an atheist...never have been. If you had read my first post on this thread you would see that I make it quite clear that I am an agnostic theist.
ok i forgot about that.

well you can't be an agnostic because you have identified Darwin as your God (or you have idolised him, which is the same as worshiping a God)! To my understanding that is called "Darwinism" and you are a Darwinist!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
ok i forgot about that.

well you can't be an agnostic because you have identified Darwin as your God! To my understanding that is called "Darwinism" and you are a Darwinist!
Yes, I have an alabaster sculpture of him that I burn incense to and feed it milk.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have an alabaster sculpture of him that I burn incense to and feed it milk.

well normal Darwinists don't do the statue thing. they just follow his thoery's religiously as if they were truth

(sarcasm is best served with ignorance)

Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,266,140 times
Originally Posted by MarkotheAussie
Quote:
well normal Darwinists don't do the statue thing. they just follow his thoery's religiously as if they were truth

(sarcasm is best served with ignorance)
The same thing could be said of theists if you substitute theory with truth (or gospel as the Christians call it).

At least calling your philosophy a theory is more honest than calling it the only truth.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 26,906 times
Evolution is not belief system based on faith and can in fact be proven wrong.

If it were as you seem to say a religion, I still would not understand why its value would be less than yours beliefs.

In any case it would be silly to have faith in Darwinism when we could and do use empirical evidence.

Why would you care what Darwin’s religious beliefs are? Is it important for famous dead people to be Christian?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM

746 posts, read 2,181,666 times
Can we get back to the original topic please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism