Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM

307 posts, read 480,292 times

Advertisements

I have only been active on these boards for a few weeks, and yet two threads have been closed (understandably) because of the crude and disrespectful attitude of some posters. Why is this. Has a thread been closed for the same reasons concerning Christians? I don't know. But if the answer is 'no', why not. What would this tell us about the two polarised positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,482,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
I have only been active on these boards for a few weeks, and yet two threads have been closed (understandably) because of the crude and disrespectful attitude of some posters. Why is this. Has a thread been closed for the same reasons concerning Christians? I don't know. But if the answer is 'no', why not. What would this tell us about the two polarised positions?
I've been on the Religion and Philosophy forum before there was a Christianity sub-forum and before there was an Atheist sub-forum. I've seen numerous threads closed in all three although given the short amount of time the Atheist sub-forum has been around, I think that per capita we are hanging right up there with the best of them.

Why? I don't have a solid answer for you but I can only give you my thought as to why:

I think that a lot of Atheists have had bad experiences with religion in their life either as an attack against them because of their Atheism or in something that caused them to become Atheists. I think a lot of that anger becomes expressed very easily on a forum when there is no real face to face contact. And I also think that there's very much the factor that we are just human as well. There is one other element that I think complicates things a little bit much.

When they decided to make the Atheist sub-forum, the Administrator left a cryptic little note (much like how a God leaves cryptic notes) that said "No Proselytizing in the Atheist Sub-forum." Well, there is no real clarification on what proselytizing is. Surely there are more overt cases than others but some people on the sub-forum think that any mention of God is proselytizing while others like myself don't mind the mention of God or even Biblical verse to support a position as long as you don't try to tell me that I will have to live an eternity in fiery rage, torment, and eviscerating pain if I don't adhere to said Bible verse.

So, much like what I feel the problem with holy writs are (vague rules that try to encompass a broad perspective of human interaction) it seems that a lot of Atheists are, ironically and amusingly enough, falling for the same bait that so much of religion falls under - defining for themselves what cryptic messages mean.

At least, that's my take on it.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 10-27-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 PM

356 posts, read 1,130,739 times
You have to have extremes in order to find the middle.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,396,777 times
Quote:
Has a thread been closed for the same reasons concerning Christians? I don't know. But if the answer is 'no', why not. What would this tell us about the two polarised positions?
Haha - the answer is most definitely 'yes'.
Before you start making judgements about the "2 polarized positions" you should get into the backlog of the Christianity forum.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 PM

272 posts, read 485,513 times
Quote:
I think when one crosses from a sub-form that they don't believe in they need to tread lightly. At least I try too. hehe. One the biggest problems with forums is you can't hear the intonation of the voice. I also think it's harder for a christian to debate an atheist. An atheist will not take bible verses as proof, and this is where the biggest problem comes in I believe. Obvious I know. I think a great example of a good debate between an atheist and a christian is to look at freedom's and my post. At least I'd liked his/her style of debate, although we obviously didn't agree.

If you have any questions regarding the dialog between you an I, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by technobarbie; 10-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: For Clarification

Old 10-28-2008, 12:52 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,042,081 times
When Christians start spewing hate propaganda about discriminating against homosexuals, sensible compassionate people get a little pissed. This is just one example...

Old 10-28-2008, 02:45 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,947,355 times
It's called confirmation bias. Hot topics are usually closed down regardless of where the original poster put them in.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM

307 posts, read 480,292 times
Thank you for your enlightening responses. I will check the backlog on the Christian forum.

LogicIsYourFriend....offence and getting p***** off works both ways, you know.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,482,336 times
Quote:
Thank you for your enlightening responses. I will check the backlog on the Christian forum.

LogicIsYourFriend....offence and getting p***** off works both ways, you know.
Oh, you can look up closed threads in the backlog but I don't think you'll be able to see deleted threads. Those are usually the really fun ones to read.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,334,616 times
I think posts just get closed when they get out of hand. Like someone already said that happens on just about every forum in here.

As far as disrespectful posts, I think we can all be guilty of that. I know I have a nasty habit of becoming sarcastic...

But I really think it's just because we all get into arguments here that really have no way out and that's when things get heated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism