Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 PM

33,502 posts, read 36,999,655 times

Advertisements

Google is your friend... Evidence for Earth's Instant Creation - Polonium Halos in Granite and Coal - Earth Science Associates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiohalo

http://www.usd.edu/esci/age/content/creationist_clocks/polonium_halos.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,356,955 times
Personally, I would be happy to have creationism taught in schools. The problem as I see it is that people want to teach it as science. This is ridiculous. Science has set rules as to what science is. One cannot just make things up and call them science. The Theory of Evolution is science. It follows the scientific method, relies on evidence and is testable. Creationism is a religious believe. As such I would fully support teaching it in a religion class as the Judeo-Christian creation story. Science and religion really should not be mixed. It is ok to teach both, but please do not pretend evolution is somehow a religious belief and intellegent design or creationism is science. I have heard this idea hawked by creationists again and again and it just is not true. Science and religion are two different fields that have very little in common end of story.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been on my mind.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,548,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Personally, I would be happy to have creationism taught in schools. The problem as I see it is that people want to teach it as science. This is ridiculous. Science has set rules as to what science is. One cannot just make things up and call them science. The Theory of Evolution is science. It follows the scientific method, relies on evidence and is testable. Creationism is a religious believe. As such I would fully support teaching it in a religion class as the Judeo-Christian creation story. Science and religion really should not be mixed. It is ok to teach both, but please do not pretend evolution is somehow a religious belief and intellegent design or creationism is science. I have heard this idea hawked by creationists again and again and it just is not true. Science and religion are two different fields that have very little in common end of story.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been on my mind.
I agree completely!! Creationism can be taught, but absolutely not on par with evolution and definitely not in a science classroom. Well... you can always do what the founder of the Church of the Flying spaghetti Monster (Peace be Upon His Noodly Appendages) and pick two random things, show a corrolation between them and use that as evidence (i.e. As the amount of pirates went down, global warming increased, ergo the FSM is real!)

Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,878,283 times
Talking Wow! Polonium hype!

First off, thanks, sanspeur. I, and my logical thought processes, were accosted this past weekend by a Polonium halo champion, who noted that science could not explain away this phenom, and that these little sub-atomic events leave a clear visible indicator of an instant creation.

Sadly, Xtian fundies will grapple onto anything that looks to be scientifically scrupulous and sufficiently complicated to impress the laymen amongst them (which by all rational scientific standards is pretty much all of them, BTW...). They then "glom" onto the idea and gloat if science has some level of indigestion with the new theory. They also become highly agitated if The Science takes on it's assigned role of checking out ANY and ALL theories under the most rigorous and recorded (and hence fully duplicatable...) study regimes. "No no, don't do that!" they intone... "Why question the obvious truth?" Why indeed.

Because that, folks, is what we scientists do to get at the real truth. It's not some clever but sinful ploy to discount whatever Xtians offer up. Believe me, if this one had proved to be as presented, it would have caused quite a stir.

Unfortunately, under the cold hard light of relentless LOGIC and review by a number of outstanding geo-scientists who utilized careful objective observation, well..... so sad. The Polonium halo "theory" as "proof" of instant creation bombs. Completely. But don't try to tell that to a fundy; they, like an active uncontrollable volcano, will erupt, simultaneously calling you nasty names. How quaintly eloquent!

It's all verifiably bunk, which I will dutifully communicate back to my new fundy friend. But I predict here and now, that he'll then attack me personally; my profession, my friends, my thought processes, AOAOAI. Typical, and indefensible, but required if you must have your "theories" held intact and unquestioned. Some prfer to have the important concepts and decisions in their lives made by others; I prefer to come to my own conclusions.

I repeat herein my own little bit of Bumper Sticker philosophy: "Unerring Faith is the Shield upon which The Truth is Dashed."

P&L2A rflmn™

Last edited by rifleman; 12-16-2008 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 PM

33,502 posts, read 36,999,655 times
My first link Earth Science Associates...Quite a pretentious name huh? No science in sight though on that page...Unbelievable what lengths and lies they will present to disprove real science. When ever I do a search I have to weed out the hundreds, if not thousands of fundie sites...They really are on the defensive aren't they. What happened to your other saying....Something about faith and head bashing?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,017,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swygertk View Post
Why are so Christians so presumptuous? How can anyone knows God's time? How could God explain to people who knew nothing of science (ex. disease is a curse) that the Earth is millions of years old? Days are always going to be the same. The rotation of the Earth is a good point of reference for a work that is supposed to be timeless. Always wondered.
Well if it was god trying to fit a worldview into the naive minds of the OT, he certainly wanted to make sure the people believed in this fake version of reality: If they didn't celebrate the 7th day of creation they would be put to death.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:34 AM

4,493 posts, read 6,299,105 times
I can't believe anybody is still debating this subject! What would be the percentage of Americans that still believe in creationism do you think? It's mind blowing to me that anyone could think evolution didn't happen. Do they still think the Earth is flat too and that the Sun and stars revolve around us?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 6,998,716 times
It may not be that xians don't believe in evolution, it may be because they are afraid to believe in evolution. It also has to do with the fact that most xians do not understand what evolution is...they look at it as simply monkey-to-man, which offends them. And, it also challenges their Bible, which also is fearful to them.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,017,832 times
They are blind followers of the polarizing idiots on TV, on fox news and the religious channels.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,999,792 times
Why teach creationism? What would there be to teach? A class that taught creationism would just have a blackboard up with the phrase "god did it" and that'd pretty much be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism