Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

Last night I was drifting off thinking about things (watch out!), thinking about religion and it's crazy little obsessed followers and something dawned on me. I do believe there was a man named Jesus Christ, I do believe this man wanted a peaceful world, I don't believe this man was anything more than just a man with good intentions who did truly love people. Over the years and through the bible his words have been distorted, stretched, altered, and twisted to meet mans own selfish vision.
So, what if this man Jesus came back today and confronted all his followers that they are all wrong? That they are all brainwashed? What if he pointed out that 95% of the scriptures were all wrong? I bet you anything the christians would call him a false prophet and dismiss him entirely. It seems like even if the christians had their own god right in front of them and it wasn't what they had visioned it all in their mind that they would ban together and lynch him. I bet they would. Shows you how insane all of it is. So if thier saviour ever does return, and it's not the way they imagined it, what then?
What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
He can't return, he's a dead man. That's assuming he even existed in the first place.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I don't think he's able to come back because he's been dead for a couple thousand years but I agree with much of your thoughts.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
I'm not sure what would have to happen, but anyone (even the Religious people) are skeptical of guy claiming to be Jesus. "Jesus" usually ends up in a rubber room somewhere.

I think its just a part of the myth of Jesus that got blown up over time from the truth. Just like I don't think he truly died that day. I think he was close to death and was just left for dead. When he woke up, people assumed he'd woke from the dead. Seems pretty easy to see it that way to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Good comments. I know, I agree as well that Jesus is a dead man and can not come back, but I guess I am saying that if we (the Athiests) were by some chance "wrong" and all those myths were true and this Jesus fella did actually come back, that the christians would probably kill him if he told them the reality they cling to in their heads is totally wrong. What I am saying is that the christians have taken their theories so far over the years, and put so much of their own self worth into these beliefs, that the monster is so big now that even the man they claim to worship would not be able to sway them from the world they have built in their minds.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
That's an interesting take on it, Jackyfrost01. I have never heard that interpretation before. It doesn't address the rest of the story, though.

It isn't possible to know whether the 'historical Jesus' ever existed. I doubt it. The story has gone through too many councils, revisions, and translations to be taken as anything but mythology. And too much of the story is borrowed from earlier religions. There is hardly anything original in it.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Last night I was drifting off thinking about things (watch out!), thinking about religion and it's crazy little obsessed followers and something dawned on me. I do believe there was a man named Jesus Christ, I do believe this man wanted a peaceful world, I don't believe this man was anything more than just a man with good intentions who did truly love people. Over the years and through the bible his words have been distorted, stretched, altered, and twisted to meet mans own selfish vision.
So, what if this man Jesus came back today and confronted all his followers that they are all wrong? That they are all brainwashed? What if he pointed out that 95% of the scriptures were all wrong? I bet you anything the christians would call him a false prophet and dismiss him entirely. It seems like even if the christians had their own god right in front of them and it wasn't what they had visioned it all in their mind that they would ban together and lynch him. I bet they would. Shows you how insane all of it is. So if thier saviour ever does return, and it's not the way they imagined it, what then?
What do you all think?
I think that most Christians believe that they'd know it was him based on a feeling. Like, when asked how they know God exists, most will say, "I just know." Usually, they don't give you a lot of concrete evidence. I don't think there's a magic formula to get ALL Christians to believe that he's the real thing, it's just a question of how good he makes them feel.

That's the deal with cults. People get a good feeling about some charismatic guy who recruits them and they believe, based on that feeling, that they must follow him. I wonder if it's kind of like being "in love" with somebody? If somebody makes you feel good and you get butterflies in your stomach when he/she's around, you pretty much overlook anything that might make him/her look less perfect.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I think that most Christians believe that they'd know it was him based on a feeling. Like, when asked how they know God exists, most will say, "I just know." Usually, they don't give you a lot of concrete evidence. I don't think there's a magic formula to get ALL Christians to believe that he's the real thing, it's just a question of how good he makes them feel.

That's the deal with cults. People get a good feeling about some charismatic guy who recruits them and they believe, based on that feeling, that they must follow him. I wonder if it's kind of like being "in love" with somebody? If somebody makes you feel good and you get butterflies in your stomach when he/she's around, you pretty much overlook anything that might make him/her look less perfect.
It is exactly like being in love. The language and symbology they use is like being in love - blind love.

Of course the christers have an out: Revelations says that most will be duped and only a few will be able to recognize the "true" christ. This is one of the conditions that makes it easy to say, I'm the chosen one, I'm right and you all are wrong, plus you are evil if you don't follow me.

Trouble is they all say it about each other and they are the true believers.

Just another reason to step out of the whole illogical mess and say no thanks to your fantasies.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Hummmm, I have generally suspected that one was more likely to see a greenish yellow, blue horned unicorn coming out of a pecan shell, than the second coming of a guy who, in all probability never existed in the first place.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 AM

102 posts, read 152,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't think he's able to come back because he's been dead for a couple thousand years but I agree with much of your thoughts.
Montanaguy,
Got some Q's for you.
Where do you think all the resurrection mumbo jumbo came from? What do you think happened to the body? What motivated his followers to die for their belief in his resurrection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism