Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:34 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I have a problem with it because of my stance against treating women like objects. I have a problem with little girls being raised to think that the only possible destiny for them is to be one of many wives to a man that barely knows or respects any of them. Women can be more than baby machines.
1. With the exception of those religious homes where girls are raised inside their whole lives, polygamy is entirely voluntary.
2. You're assuming that men are the only ones who would have multiple spouses. In some third world Asian countries, there are women with multiple husbands.
3. A pro-polygamy stance says nothing about what you think women are. It has nothing to do with whether or not they are "objects" or people. It just means you're married to more than one person. Also, did it ever occur to you that a person could have a husband and a wife?
4. If you're against allowing a woman to make a voluntary choice to enter a marriage...well, I think you can figure out the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,290 times
I am in a polygamist relationship. My husband and I have been married for about 4 years, we added a second wife about a year ago. I say "we" because it was definitely mutual decision. I have not had this lifestyle thrust upon me in any way, shape, or form. We have completely open and honest communication where everyone has equal say and right to personal opinion. We are careful to not pit two against one; recognizing that issues may crop up between my husband and I, my husband and our second wife, and me and my sister wife. If two people are involved in an issue, the third person tries not to interject or take one side or another. I notice that a number of people assume that one person (particularly the husband) is somehow benefiting to a greater degree than the wives. I don't feel that this is at all the case. My sister wife and I are inseparably close and benefit greatly from having each other. I cannot imagine life without either one of them. We are all in our twenties or thirties, highly educated, and employed. We would have never entered into this relationship with the expectation of relying on state or federal assistance. We do intend to have children, who will be raised in a supportive and loving environment. I will never be concerned about finding someone to help care for my children when I'm at work. I'll have a built-in support system of people who love my children as much as do and raise as I would. I would never push my belief system on to anyone else, but I would ask that people try to understand and not make assumptions. People enter into all kinds of relationships and no one formula is guaranteed to be successful or better than another.

Last edited by lillierose48; 10-05-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 04:49 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post

Anyone else's thoughts? Others agree or am I just waaaay out there? If you disagree on non-religious moral grounds, why?
I don't have any moral disagreement with it, with a few caveats: the people involved all have to be willing and mentally-competent adults. NO child brides, NO forced multiple-marriages, NO sucking off the welfare system.

That said, if there's three people or four people or however many out there that want to enter into a marriage contract as a group, let them. It doesn't affect anyone else's marriage or family in a negative way so I have no issues with it.

I couldn't personally do it -- I'm not capable of sharing my man with another woman without negative feelings, but I do know at least two threesomes that have made it work for many, many years now. The longest threesome I know of that is still together has passed their 20th anniversary as a triple.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Polygamy may be in our children's future out of necessity. It has recently been confirmed that the thousands of chemicals we live with every day has been causing much damage, especially to male fetuses....Consequently the female to male birth rate is rapidly changing...There are many more female births compared to males, on top of that the viability and motility of male sperm is way down.

Healthy Living With a Twist - LIME

Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

86 posts, read 93,530 times
If it was good enough for king david its good enough for me. LOL

Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillierose48 View Post
I am in a polygamist relationship. My husband and I have been married for about 4 years, we added a second wife about a year ago. I say "we" because it was definitely mutual decision. I have not had this lifestyle thrust upon me in any way, shape, or form. We have completely open and honest communication where everyone has equal say and right to personal opinion. We are careful to not pit two against one; recognizing that issues may crop up between my husband and I, my husband and our second wife, and me and my sister wife. If two people are involved in an issue, the third person tries not to interject or take one side or another. I notice that a number of people assume that one person (particularly the husband) is somehow benefiting to a greater degree than the wives. I don't feel that this is at all the case. My sister wife and I are inseparably close and benefit greatly from having each other. I cannot imagine life without either one of them. We are all in our twenties or thirties, highly educated, and employed. We would have never entered into this relationship with the expectation of relying on state or federal assistance. We do intend to have children, who will be raised in a supportive and loving environment. I will never be concerned about finding someone to help care for my children when I'm at work. I'll have a built-in support system of people who love my children as much as do and raise as I would. I would never push my belief system on to anyone else, but I would ask that people try to understand and not make assumptions. People enter into all kinds of relationships and no one formula is guaranteed to be successful or better than another.

Sooo....do you and your "sister" wife have sexual relations too? I do hear that a woman can please another woman like no man can! How bout tossing another guy in there? Now THAT would be interesting!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Polygamy may be in our children's future out of necessity. It has recently been confirmed that the thousands of chemicals we live with every day has been causing much damage, especially to male fetuses....Consequently the female to male birth rate is rapidly changing...There are many more female births compared to males, on top of that the viability and motility of male sperm is way down.

Healthy Living With a Twist - LIME
This may be natures way of slowing or reducing the population of humans. We sure seem to have more than we can take care of.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Sooo....do you and your "sister" wife have sexual relations too? I do hear that a woman can please another woman like no man can! How bout tossing another guy in there? Now THAT would be interesting!
We do not. Though I am not familiar with the origins of the term 'sister-wife,' and am not affiliated with any of the groups (read: FLDS) that typically use it, we look at it as a term that connects all participants in the relationship to one another. As a sister-wife, I am the wife of the husband and the sister to the second wife. We are all heterosexual, because it's the way we were born, the relationship has nothing to do with our sexual orientation. Just as people can be born homosexual or bisexual, any relationships they enter into does not ultimately affect their true orientation. I'm sure that, while perhaps less common, there are relationships that exist with more than one husband to a single wife. Just as I'm sure that there are relationships out there that have several of each! I think success, happiness, and health of the relationship is in the people involved, not in the way it is structured.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillierose48 View Post
We do not. Though I am not familiar with the origins of the term 'sister-wife,' and am not affiliated with any of the groups (read: FLDS) that typically use it, we look at it as a term that connects all participants in the relationship to one another. As a sister-wife, I am the wife of the husband and the sister to the second wife. We are all heterosexual, because it's the way we were born, the relationship has nothing to do with our sexual orientation. Just as people can be born homosexual or bisexual, any relationships they enter into does not ultimately affect their true orientation. I'm sure that, while perhaps less common, there are relationships that exist with more than one husband to a single wife. Just as I'm sure that there are relationships out there that have several of each! I think success, happiness, and health of the relationship is in the people involved, not in the way it is structured.
If you're happy and your husband and your wife are happy, that's what counts.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Traditionally, men of our tribe could be polygamous if they could afford it. Nobody in the modern Comanche Nation is polygamous and I'm not sure I would want to be! I'm not sure that I would want multiple Indian women giving me hell all at the same time. An old saying, "You might be an Indian male if your woman's footprints are all over your back."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism