Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM

295 posts, read 667,555 times

Advertisements

I think being atheist/agnostic frees you from that fear. Or at least it can. What is there to be afraid of if you don't believe in the afterlife. I don't see how nothingness is frightening. Sounds rather peaceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm now struggling with the fear that there are people of a medically oriented background asserting that at some point in the death process the chemical processes of the body stop BEFORE death occurs.

i am a she----and brain functioning can stop before a person is declared dead--those chemical functions that some of you think occur to give the near death experience would have to come from the brain--i would continue to write more about my experience but i feel you would not accept what i have to say as it flies in the face of those who do not believe in a Divine Creator----i was brought up catholic and what occurred to me was not taught in my religious instructions---but was in the bible which i had never read in its entirety but did give me some explanations as to what i experienced later

Old 06-08-2009, 02:10 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Oh, well then, if it's in the Bible, then it is beyond questioning. And if we don't believe in a Divine Creator, then we are beyond the pale. I converted to Catholicism, went through catechism classes and the whole magilla, but after three years I realized that it was simply untenable. It'll give you "some explanations", all right, but any connection they have with medical science in the 21st century is rather far-fetched.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Thinking about death makes you wonder about what way you'll die and whether or not you'll be aware that you are one step in the grave before kicking the bucket.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
That reminds me of the song The Gambler by Kenny Rogers, in which he states 'The most that you can hope for/Is to die in your sleep'. That would be the way to do it, all right.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,835 times
It's better to not believe in something after death. Not only will you free yourself from always wondering if you really will go to heaven or not or if it even exists. Instead you will come to terms and peace with the natural cycle of the world.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 AM

354 posts, read 749,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think when I was much younger I did feel a certain fear of my existence coming to an end. Now that I'm 60 I've gradually come to understand that death is a natural event and nothing to be afraid of. In fact I think that many people who are elderly feel like they've lived their lives and the aging process has become a drugery and they feel that death would be an end to their suffering. I happened to get into a conversation at a bar with a guy who was in his eighties and he told me he was looking forward to dying. His wife had been dead for a number of years, he was almost blind and life was very difficult. I felt bad for him but I can understand his point of view.

oh ya. that is why i wanna die young. though im in my late 30s now. im not sure i will have my wish realized. i kinda wanna die in my 40th year. so i have a couple years to go. but how will i know if i will indeed die at 40? unless i cut myself but i won't do that. ever.that's why i just shake my head when people wish long life on every birthday. don't they care for their elderly? oh right, they pay for caregivers to do that for them. so they dunno how hard is it to live like a living dead. imagine being independent all your life but is now foced to be dependent to your caregiver not because u want to but coz u have no choice. i worked as a caregiver and trust me, i know what im talking about. it made me don't wanna grow old more.

i used to fear death i mean who doesn't? even for once in their life? but when i come to terms that it is inevitable. it just makes sense NOT to fear it since there is NO escaping it. i fear more on HOW i will die though i have an idea now, i just hope it is not painful and lingering. that's just harsh.

Last edited by baket; 02-22-2010 at 06:05 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 05:43 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I have no worries about after death, nothing means no pain no discomfort whatsoever, nothing...like space with no time or sound or feelings...plus you don't realize there's nothing.. think it's perfect peace.
The way you die, that's another story.. I hope to die in my sleep or at least not suffering horrendous pain..It's best if you go to sleep and just never wake up but that's something we can't choose....that's why I believe euthanasia is good, for those who are suffering tremendous pain, both mental and/or physical, it offers a way out and I would definitely choose for it if things were terrible. And to have no quality of life is, to me, unbearable...

Last edited by MaggieZ; 02-22-2010 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I have no worries about after death, nothing means no pain no discomfort whatsoever, nothing...like space with no time or sound or feelings...plus you don't realize there's nothing.. think it's perfect peace.
The way you die, that's another story.. I hope to die in my sleep or at least not suffering horrendous pain..It's best if you go to sleep and just never wake up but that's something we can't choose....that's why I believe euthanasia is good, for those who are suffering tremendous pain, both mental and/or physical, it offers a way out and I would definitely choose for it if things were terrible. And to have no quality of life is, to me, unbearable...
I agree MaggieZ.

I think many people are very afraid of HOW they will die rather than what will happen to them AFTER they are dead.

Most of us hate pain and we have a tendency to associate dying with pain.

Even in these days of strong narcotics and supposedly good palliative care, people suffer pain and anxiety as they die, which to me is inexcusable.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,492 times
Could be a religious thing...religion and death does go hand in hand...

I suppose the "fear of death" depends on the religion, but my beliefs has a portion where it states that everyone (no matter who you are or what you did) would go to Hell once they die.

Sounds macabre? It's a technicality only. Very similiar to Egyptian afterlife.

As for myself, I'm not afraid of dying (I'm only 21 ;D). Though, I cringed at the though of dying a brutal death...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism