Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,534,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
That's what all the people with brain disorders say.

mainstream religion like the emperors' new clothes?

i would be very, very, VERY careful with such a diagnosis in public!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's really no point to life anyway...we live, we die, and nothing really changes...

We can only hope to have a pleasant afterlife.
i need as yet to detect some consistency, aside from your non-arguable self-centredness here, to discuss...

(would this fit into the thread about teachers??)

Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
The only person who cares about you is...YOU.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I hope to have a pleasant currentlife. Afterlife is for sleeping.
Immaterial, unimportant. Doesn't really matter in terms of eternity. We live, die, and are forgotten.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,518,704 times
Quote:
Immaterial, unimportant. Doesn't really matter in terms of eternity. We live, die, and are forgotten.
I agree with you.

But for many people, they would rather believe a comforting lie than this uncomfortable truth. The ingrained survival instinct compels one to desire to live forever. That makes the above truth hard to swallow for many.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 PM

42 posts, read 174,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Even athiests have souls. Once you "wake up" in heaven, you may or may not be in darkness. If you think there is no heaven, there's a good chance you may be in the dark.

I'm not debating the possiblity that atheists might have souls, and that atheists might be wrong about the universe. Like I've said several times before, I'm an agnostic. The difference between atheists and agnostics is just as vast as the difference between agnostics and Christians. And that's not new information for anyone who actually understands what agnosticism is.

And a death with no afterlife is characterized by the inability to perceive anything at all, including darkness. Since I don't believe that darkness awaits us after death: using your logic, I'm not headed for darkness.

Quote:
If there's nothingness when you die...then what's the point to life? Our time is ephemeral when compared to eternity.
You raised an excellent question, and I wish I'd addressed this in my article. I'm going to post a similar question (or the exact one, with your permission) on my Q&A.

Here's a quick response to your post:

Objectively, you're correct that our time on Earth is just a flash in the pan compared with eternity. But subjectively, our time on earth is practically an eternity compared to our subjective experience of death and pre-birth. In fact, each passing moment feels far longer than death would. It's the difference between something and nothing. It's the difference between tasting a drop of honey on the tip of your tongue and tasting air.

Of course, life isn't sweet for everyone. But death has no flavor at all. And subjectively, it's our experience of death that is going to feel like a flash in the pan. Much shorter than that even. And our lives feel far longer in comparison.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The only person who cares about you is...YOU.
only if i furnish you with a copyright to say that. in public.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:47 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post

The "truth" of these personal experiences can be dismissed because they only have value for the individual that experienced them. They do not convey anything other than the individuals interpretation of their experience, and their interpretation of truth.

Also personal experiences are highly subjective. I’m sure that if you had the exact same experience as the individual in that video, you would interpret differently (however slightly) then they would, thus making it a different experience all together.

Personal experiences are those of the individual only, and may not accurately reflect reality.

As for the fear mongering, you gave a story of someone who died (scary enough by itself), went to hell (really scary), and came back with a completely different world view then they had before. In this instance some one was scared into believing, and now you are using it as a valid reason to believe in Christianity. Sure sounds like fear mongering to me.

First of all what I described was not a brain disorder, I was pointing out that in such near death experiences the brain does not functioning properly. In these instances the brain is flooded with endorphins and serotonin, and can not accurately interpret reality. But, if you want to call that a brain disorder, be my guest.
If personal experiences can be dismissed because they only have value for the individual, then we really should open up most of the prisons here in America and let most of the prisoners go. After all, many of the prison inmates are there today only because of the personal experiences of others. Your belief that personal experiences only has value for the individual, is obviously incorrect.

And often the reality of the after death Hell experiences have way to many similar details to be dismissed. And as we have heard, the Devil is in the details. Of course, if you can ignore those details then you could dismiss them. Yet, usually those who can ignore such details, are often those who are not intrested in the truth anyway.

So are you saying when someone has a near death experience, the brain is wired to see heaven or Hell? Because I have to tell you, there are many people coming back with the same stories, and often with the same details.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:58 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Even athiests have souls. Once you "wake up" in heaven, you may or may not be in darkness. If you think there is no heaven, there's a good chance you may be in the dark. If you do good for others without wanting anything in return, and don't harm others and love, there's a great chance you'll see the heaven you so earnestly say isn't there. This is, only if you don't dwell on the subject of God and all the questions being asked on this forum. Accept life for what it is. Accept that you can't possible know everything before you die no matter out outlandish it may sound.
Truly I say to you, unless one is born again (he will not) see the Kingdom of God. JESUS CHRIST.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 PM

33,605 posts, read 37,256,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Truly I say to you, unless one is born again (he will not) see the Kingdom of God. JESUS CHRIST.
Tsk, tsk....You are breaking the rules here old guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism