Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
Reputation: 782

Advertisements

I figure the brains going to be more like a memory chip.
If we allow a memory chip to completely loose its capacitance and no more electrical charge is in it, it also looses its memory.
And no amount of electrical current will bring back the memory it had.

And so it is with the brain. You cannot just add an electric current and bring back the memories.

And I still don’t believe a memory chip has a soul.


Cheers
Aeroman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why can't we just supply the brain with electricity, and bring back the dead? In death, the electrical activity of the brain ceases, so all we should have to do is apply electricity, right? That's the scientific answer.

Apparently, there's something more than that.
Because the electricity is highly organized, and you can't just pump electricity into it and expect it to start back up again.

Is there any question in your mind that you can no longer think if the brain is dead??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Reputation: 11084
No. But what is it that causes the current to stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Reputation: 1775
Usually, lack of oxygen to the brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Reputation: 11084
So...why does it do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 PM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Reputation: 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why can't we just supply the brain with electricity, and bring back the dead? In death, the electrical activity of the brain ceases, so all we should have to do is apply electricity, right? That's the scientific answer.

Apparently, there's something more than that.
Frankenstein ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: California
42 posts, read 174,649 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Once again, there is no feeling. Feeling requires a body and a mind. Nonexistance doesn't feel. It is a fairly silly posit. Once you take away the hypothesis of a soul that somehow exists and has thinking ability without a body, the whole argument goes away.
Like you said, "non-existence doesn't feel." That's also what I argue is the only way non-existence can feel. And I'm sorry, but you're way off when you say my argument goes away when you take away the hypothesis of a soul that exists. In fact, it's the exact opposite. My argument totally relies on taking away the hypothesis that the soul exists. My argument is only true if you assume we have no souls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So...why does it do that?
Because the cells in the brain, like the rest of your cells, need oxygen to work properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid EH View Post
Like you said, "non-existence doesn't feel." That's also what I argue is the only way non-existence can feel. And I'm sorry, but you're way off when you say my argument goes away when you take away the hypothesis of a soul that exists. In fact, it's the exact opposite. My argument totally relies on taking away the hypothesis that the soul exists. My argument is only true if you assume we have no souls!
I'm with ya' Kid EH. Just like we weren't eager with anticipation to get life, we won't be missing life after it is over. The experience post "working brain" will be the same as the experience pre- "working brain."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:47 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,994,356 times
Reputation: 982
I've never feared death. I only fear dying.

For some, the process of dying is quick and relatively painless. For many, the process of death is slow and agonizing. That's what I fear. I don't like pain.

I agree with the OP that once we're dead, it's the same as before we were born.

Also, another point to make is the experience of being under general anesthesia. For any of you who have ever been put under deep anesthesia (as I have), it's very different from just being asleep. In some ways I feel like that is similar to death as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top