Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 PM

42 posts, read 174,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm with ya' Kid EH. Just like we weren't eager with anticipation to get life, we won't be missing life after it is over. The experience post "working brain" will be the same as the experience pre- "working brain."
Exactly. That's why people shouldn't stress out about the possibility of a death with no afterlife. We will never regret being dead if that's the case, so people shouldn't let the thought of it ruin their enjoyment of actual life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I've never feared death. I only fear dying.

For some, the process of dying is quick and relatively painless. For many, the process of death is slow and agonizing. That's what I fear. I don't like pain.
Yeah, atheists should avoid getting shot; not because they might die, but because it would be extremely uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,744,773 times
Quote:
Because the cells in the brain, like the rest of your cells, need oxygen to work properly.
So, all we have to do is make the lungs transfer oxygen to the blood, and the heart pump, then apply the shock...and voila! we have life. Right?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:01 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,517,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So, all we have to do is make the lungs transfer oxygen to the blood, and the heart pump, then apply the shock...and voila! we have life. Right?

There are numerous different things that can cause the brain to stop working properly. Once the brain is dead, even part of the brain, it's hard to make it start working properly again.

Once cells are dead, they have trouble coming back to life. For example, the longer a drowning victim stays underwater, the greater brain damage they suffer.

Why, I ask you, is that so? Under your soul theory, damage to the brain shouldn't effect the person, assuming they were able to be brought back to life. Yet, there's no little soul that helps the victim here. There is a direct relationship between the amount of brain damage they receive and the amount of damage to their mind.

Similarly, if the part of your brain that controls memory is damaged, you simply wont have memories. If its the part that stores new memories, you wont make new memories. If its the part that hold old memories, you won't have old memories. All of this is the brain, non of it is a soul. Hurt the brain, hurt the mind.

Their is no little soul that helps in those situations. The brain does it all. Damage to the brain, area by area, is directly related to the functioning of the mind.

Your entire ability to reason is dependent on having a functioning brain. If that part of your brain is damaged, even if you are still alive, you won't be able to reason. Where is your soul then? Why does it only kick in once you are dead, but not when you are alive?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,533,387 times
chiming in, as usual..

has "soul" (therefore) become obsolete? it might be relevant for people still wanting to use the word, especially since it still seems to express more than a technicality and/or function!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
chiming in, as usual..

has "soul" (therefore) become obsolete? it might be relevant for people still wanting to use the word, especially since it still seems to express more than a technicality and/or function!

I believe it is obsolete.

The soul was really just the brain all along. Until a few decades ago, we didn't know that. But now we do. Still, many people don't want to accept that because the brain has a finite lifespan and they would prefer to believe our sapient self will live forever.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:04 AM

Well, I don't even want to try to prove that the soul doesn't exist. I'm an agnostic, and I don't think those kinds of things can be proven or disproven.

For instance, perhaps the brain is merely a vehicle for the physical expression of the soul's intentions? That's what reverend was trying to say in an earlier post. If that's the case, then damaging the brain would damage the living body's ability to think and to act; but the soul would still be intact.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:17 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,036,614 times
It's absolutely impossible to live on this earth without a soul. The soul is real and that is the real you. The brain has nothing to do with it. The mind is a function of the soul just like brain cells are a function of the material body. If you are here now, you have a soul.

Here's an experiment for you guys. When you all die, look me up and tell me you have no mind and no soul. That's gonna be interesting!!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,533,387 times
Quote:
I believe it is obsolete.

The soul was really just the brain all along. Until a few decades ago, we didn't know that. But now we do. Still, many people don't want to accept that because the brain has a finite lifespan and they would prefer to believe our sapient self will live forever.
i'm very much on the same page with you, but would rather leave it with a zeitgeist comment: words coined in earlier times had a much friendlier ring to them.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Here's an experiment for you guys. When you all die, look me up and tell me you have no mind and no soul. That's gonna be interesting!!
No thanks.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid EH View Post
Well, I don't even want to try to prove that the soul doesn't exist. I'm an agnostic, and I don't think those kinds of things can be proven or disproven.

For instance, perhaps the brain is merely a vehicle for the physical expression of the soul's intentions? That's what reverend was trying to say in an earlier post. If that's the case, then damaging the brain would damage the living body's ability to think and to act; but the soul would still be intact.

Can the soul think and act without the brain? If not, what good is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism