Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:11 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzan View Post
Many atheists equate faith with...a lack of intelligence.
Well, in reading from the beginning of this nearly decade-dead thread, before I even reached this post I was struck by the notable difference in education/intelligence between the skeptics and the religious proponents as evidenced by the writing samples of each.

When one is accustomed to using logic, reason and a rational approach to life and the world, do you think that it is unreasonable to conclude that those who apparently cannot display similar faculties may not be as advanced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 02:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Well, in reading from the beginning of this nearly decade-dead thread, before I even reached this post I was struck by the notable difference in education/intelligence between the skeptics and the religious proponents as evidenced by the writing samples of each.

When one is accustomed to using logic, reason and a rational approach to life and the world, do you think that it is unreasonable to conclude that those who apparently cannot display similar faculties may not be as advanced?

Yes, I thought it was an old thread as Effie -g-tad had long gone.

As to the relative smarts, i don't know which you think is the less smart, but Luke says it all in 10. 21, probably the most reprehensible passage in all the NT after Matthew 27.25.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 PM

12,233 posts, read 2,964,782 times
Quote:
Many atheists equate faith with mental illness or/and a lack of intelligence. Many people I meet of faith are far from having mental health issues and/or lacking intellectual ability. I am agnostic and I can recognize a certain type of athiest within atheist groups whom I would class as being hate filled in their views and statements about all peoples of faith and religion as a whole.
You can call it hate if you like. I think what you're picking up on is exasperation at people who support social systems that cause all sorts of horrible things, but because it's a bit of a salve for their ego or their fear of death believers think religion is just fine and really don't care about all the evil religion causes.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
like all belief based groups, atheists have their literal fundy hate all people that don't hate other beliefs types.

you know, the "we have the real truth and they are "the wicked"" atheists.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:03 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Many atheists equate faith with mental illness or/and a lack of intelligence. Many people I meet of faith are far from having mental health issues and/or lacking intellectual ability. I am agnostic and I can recognize a certain type of athiest within atheist groups whom I would class as being hate filled in their views and statements about all peoples of faith and religion as a whole.
Atheists overuse that rhetorical device sometimes, particularly the youngsters. I would not characterize them as "hateful" because they have a strong opinion on that score. You have to admit that many of the ideas and actions of theists are hard to distinguish from mental illness or personality disorders, particularly if you don't understand that repressing normal thought processes can produce the same symptoms, at least within the religious "compartment" and the ways it interacts with the real world.

That said, in my experience most of us are more careful with our wording on this topic. I would say that it is dysfunctional and tends repress one's innate intelligence to subscribe to some of the more strident / fundamentalist notions of religion, and it is certainly impertinent and dysfunctional to attempt to impose religious norms on the areligious.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:36 PM

661 posts, read 521,503 times
In this case, both religious and Atheist groups qualify as "hate groups".

Old 03-11-2019, 12:28 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
OP asks...

"Somebody gave an argument to me: You are the member of a hate group because "Skeptic society bash religious people".
Is it true, or not? What should we do in order to make Atheist image better?"

What an excellent thread for Corporate Cowboy to jump into and show us how to do it.

Got any popcorn Trout?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
OP asks...

"Somebody gave an argument to me: You are the member of a hate group because "Skeptic society bash religious people".
Is it true, or not? What should we do in order to make Atheist image better?"

What an excellent thread for Corporate Cowboy to jump into and show us how to do it.

Got any popcorn Trout?
Is someone going to point him to this thread?

Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Done. Don't hold your breath though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism