Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,474 times

Advertisements

"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence
in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise
tomorrow. They know it's going to rise tomorrow. When people are
fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds
of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in
doubt." - Robert M Prisig Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

People are zealous about religion and/or are adamantly against atheists because they have doubts themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post

People are zealous about religion and/or are adamantly against atheists because they have doubts themselves?
Of course they do...That's why they often use the term "In fear and trembling"

Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Of course they do...That's why they often use the term "In fear and trembling"
No...that's really not what "fear and trembling" means. "Fear" in a Biblical sense is a sense of awe or respect.

Quote:

Does that apply to people that go on internet message boards to proclaim there is no God?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

970 posts, read 1,699,953 times
I'd say it only applies when shouting or not shouting wakes no difference to our lives. You can be absolutely convinced that, say, republicans are the best - but if you're "so convinced" that you don't need to act in any way, they won't win the election .

Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Does that apply to people that go on internet message boards to proclaim there is no God?
Yes!! It applies to anyone who has a "belief". If you KNOW there is a god, you don't need to argue with anyone about it and you can just go about in your daily life. Its because we all have doubts that we come to places like this and discuss/argue our thoughts/beliefs.

If you were 100% sure there is or is not a god, you would just drop the subject and go about the rest of your life. To put the quote back in context, I don't see a thread about whether or not the sun will rise because we KNOW its going to. Where there are doubts there is dedication, and people are dedicated to arguing whether or not there is a god.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
I've always thought that those who get overly emotional while arguing their side and/or those who resort to attacking the other side are the ones who are most insecure.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Yes!! It applies to anyone who has a "belief". If you KNOW there is a god, you don't need to argue with anyone about it and you can just go about in your daily life. Its because we all have doubts that we come to places like this and discuss/argue our thoughts/beliefs.

If you were 100% sure there is or is not a god, you would just drop the subject and go about the rest of your life. To put the quote back in context, I don't see a thread about whether or not the sun will rise because we KNOW its going to. Where there are doubts there is dedication, and people are dedicated to arguing whether or not there is a god.

I agree with you to a large extent--except you don't take into account a possible other motivation. I believe God has commanded Christians to share their faith. I'm on this particular forum because I find it interesting.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I've always thought that those who get overly emotional while arguing their side and/or those who resort to attacking the other side are the ones who are most insecure.
EXACTLY!! Look at the anti-gay senators, how many of them turn out to have more than suits in their closet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I agree with you to a large extent--except you don't take into account a possible other motivation. I believe God has commanded Christians to share their faith. I'm on this particular forum because I find it interesting.
I've never liked that part of Christianity. Its like forced advertising or something, if the product is so good wouldn't it sell itself? Christianity is supposed to be the light and the way to god and heaven and all this great stuff, but Christians are just as miserable as everyone else. Plus they just have to get up on Sunday. If Christians really want to spread the word of god they should just live happy lives and people would naturally be drawn to it.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:56 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
EXACTLY!! Look at the anti-gay senators, how many of them turn out to have more than suits in their closet??
It's hilarious when they get busted. The best and most deserving of that was Ted "I loves me some mens" Haggard, past president of the National Association of Evangelicals. Not only was having his little gay trysts (all the while vehemently pointing his finger at and bagging on homosexuals), but he using crystal meth! Way to go Ted you party animal! Yet, look how quickly they all forgave him, but continue their hateful rant against gays. I guess it's all ok if you say "I'm sorry" after you get exposed.

Ozzy Osbourne had the best song concerning the hypocrisy of Fundamentalists and evangelicals. It was called "Miracle Man" and written right after the Jimmy Swaggart sex scandal in 1988:

I'm looking for a miracle man
That tells me no lies
I'm looking for a miracle man
Who's not in disguise

I don't know where he'll come from
And I don't know where He's been
But it's not our Jimmy Sinner
Because he's so obscene

Miracle man got busted
Miracle man got busted

Today I saw a miracle man
On tv cryin'
Such a hypocritical man
Born again, dying

He don't know where he's goin'
But we know just where he's been
It was our little Jimmy Sinner
On the screen

Miracle man got busted
Miracle man got busted
Miracle man got busted
Miracle man

A devil with a crucifix
Brimstone and fire
He needs another carnal fix
To take him higher and higher

Now Jimmy he got busted
With his pants down
Repent ye wretched sinner
Self righteous clown

Miracle man got busted
Miracle man got busted

Old 07-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
If Christians really want to spread the word of god they should just live happy lives and people would naturally be drawn to it.

There are a lot of churches today that try to live by that rule. They try to make church fun and entertaining...preaching nice messages about hope and joy.....

But the message of the gospel is that w/out Jesus you're a hellbound sinner. The fact that God saves us by the work of Christ really is a wondrous thing. It's the most caring and loving thing to possibly do to share that message. You'd probably agree that feeding the poor or curing the sick would be good...but helping someone with their eternal soul is even bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism