Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:26 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times

Advertisements

"The killer app for nanotechnology, about twenty years away, is nanobots. Inside our bodies and brains, nanobots will provide radical life extension by destroying pathogens and cancer cells, repairing DNA errors, destroying toxins and debris, and otherwise reversing aging processes."

Three Minutes With Ray Kurzweil - PC World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
When I'm old, I'm gonna grow a chango clone, have my brain popped out and put into the new, young clone and use millions of nanobots to close off and reconstruct the blood vessels and nerves fast enough to keep my brain from dying. Then I'll live large for another hundred years or so.

Nanotechnology could prove to be the most incredibly cool scientific advancement yet.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,195 times
^^^ or it could kill us all

Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Now common Kaye... why not be an optimist? Look what med-sci has already done for you? You wanna die under a tree somewhere from a bacterial infection that no-one even knew existed back 100 years ago? Or from the high incidence of gangrene absent the right procedures if you needed an amputation during The Civil War? Or even dental health? Sheesh.. even I remember those old belt-driven dentist's drills, which remind me now of my Dremel Tool with a coarse stone on it, working a steel file....GgrrrrrrrrGGggrrrrrrrr. Ouch!

What will be critical, I think, is a sub-routine in the 'bot's software of the "Cannot Do Harm" sort, preventing it from assembling a sort of disgruntled Bot Union Meeting in, say, your brain, and deciding to "...really Teach This Mook A Lesson! Let's Go Men!"

Ohhh ohhh... But hey, when has "science" ever let yah down? Huh?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I hate to be negative but if I had to look as though I do today I would just as soon be dead. Life is for the young and fortunate people who happen to be good looking. Unattractive people are looked at as trash.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I hate to be negative but if I had to look as though I do today I would just as soon be dead. Life is for the young and fortunate people who happen to be good looking. Unattractive people are looked at as trash.
Montana, you need to look deeper at yourself, or move to a more liberal State which will improve you outlook on life. I have always been told age is a state of mind, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I aim to live with that view until my mind goes than it won’t matter anymore. I am not overjoyed with the age thing myself, but I know how to keep my mind young, and I am trying with the rest of my body, just having trouble with the midlife over expectations of what I can and can’t do.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Now common Kaye... why not be an optimist? Look what med-sci has already done for you? You wanna die under a tree somewhere from a bacterial infection that no-one even knew existed back 100 years ago? Or from the high incidence of gangrene absent the right procedures if you needed an amputation during The Civil War? Or even dental health? Sheesh.. even I remember those old belt-driven dentist's drills, which remind me now of my Dremel Tool with a coarse stone on it, working a steel file....GgrrrrrrrrGGggrrrrrrrr. Ouch!

What will be critical, I think, is a sub-routine in the 'bot's software of the "Cannot Do Harm" sort, preventing it from assembling a sort of disgruntled Bot Union Meeting in, say, your brain, and deciding to "...really Teach This Mook A Lesson! Let's Go Men!"

Ohhh ohhh... But hey, when has "science" ever let yah down? Huh?
Uh, somehow I think sarcasm escaped you.

Science isn't good or bad, btw, what people do with it is. For every good use of some scientific advancement there is a bad, and vice versa. I'm actually pretty optimistic, however, if I were pessimistic it'd be pessimism about people, not science itself.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Montana, you need to look deeper at yourself, or move to a more liberal State which will improve you outlook on life. I have always been told age is a state of mind, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I aim to live with that view until my mind goes than it won’t matter anymore. I am not overjoyed with the age thing myself, but I know how to keep my mind young, and I am trying with the rest of my body, just having trouble with the midlife over expectations of what I can and can’t do.
Naw, it's probably because it's winter in Montana. Poor guy... sitting alone in his little cabin up in the woods, surrounded by 10 feet of snow, howling wolves, a winter supply of jerky and a couple dozen guns....

On second thought... Montana guy, wanna trade lives?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Chango wrote:
Quote:
Naw, it's probably because it's winter in Montana. Poor guy... sitting alone in his little cabin up in the woods, surrounded by 10 feet of snow, howling wolves, a winter supply of jerky and a couple dozen guns....

On second thought... Montana guy, wanna trade lives?
I'm from Montana but I haven't lived there for years. I've moved around alot and now I live in Nashville. My friends and family up there tell me it's freezing cold though.
My comment about my appearance is largely due to the fact that I had an accident trying to load a really heavy piece of plywood into the back of my truck. I lost control of it and tried to jump out of the way but it hit me in the back and smashed my face into my concrete driveway. It scraped me all up and totally destroyed my glasses which cost $400 to replace. It does look much better this morning and I did manage to finally get this plywood in the truck.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Chango wrote:

I'm from Montana but I haven't lived there for years. I've moved around alot and now I live in Nashville. My friends and family up there tell me it's freezing cold though.
My comment about my appearance is largely due to the fact that I had an accident trying to load a really heavy piece of plywood into the back of my truck. I lost control of it and tried to jump out of the way but it hit me in the back and smashed my face into my concrete driveway. It scraped me all up and totally destroyed my glasses which cost $400 to replace. It does look much better this morning and I did manage to finally get this plywood in the truck.
Well, I guess you can keep your life.. I don't wanna have my face bashed in. I hope you come out of it OK, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism