Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,930 times

Advertisements

I don't think i could, since i view theism as a deficit of understanding and logic...

but there are special cases i guess...when you can see that someone just needs the proper education to realize the problems with what they currently believe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
You must be a lot younger than me, not married, or female if you think you will educate your spouse related to anything.
I am married to a deist; I have no desire to educate her on religion or the lack of a deity. She has kindly observed the same policy for me. I feel sure if I or she were to become a raging fanatic and force our view of religion on the other we would add stress to a peaceful relationship. Within limits I think a theist and an atheist can manage. It requires respect of the others views, and acceptance of the reasons you married them in the first place was not based on religion.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
I've done searches on internet dating sites and put in the criteria of looking for a woman who is also an atheist as well as the other usual stuff and I got zero hits. When I take out that requirement I generally get between 135 and 150 hits for someone within the greater Nashville area. There just aren't very many atheists out there. It's also much more difficult in general when you get older so yes I would marry a Theist if we were compatible and I think cncracer had some pretty good advice.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:41 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,387,186 times
I wouldn't automatically exclude someone because he's a theist; however it wouldn't work unless there was mutual respect. I think the one thing that would have to be thoroughly discussed and agreed on is how to handle things with any potential children. I am pretty easy-going about most things but will adamently refuse to push a child into a religion or scaring him or her with stories hell and whatnot.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM

271 posts, read 657,799 times
I don't go looking for theists and when I do look on-line I will mention that I'm an atheist and not into god and church and stuff but if I should just happen to meet someone that believes I may try to educate them about reality but I wouldn't automatically eliminate them

Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
dacx wrote:
Quote:
I don't go looking for theists and when I do look on-line I will mention that I'm an atheist and not into god and church and stuff but if I should just happen to meet someone that believes I may try to educate them about reality but I wouldn't automatically eliminate them
As cncracer pointed out, that tactic just doesn't work. A partnership of equals can't have one partner pointing out how stupid the other one is and trying to reeducate them. Religious people feel just as strongly about their beliefs as those of us who are atheists. What is required is mutual respect and an acceptance that people can view the world differently. Religious people are not stupid and neither are atheists. For some reason we view our existence and meaning in life in different terms than one another but I don't see why that has to be a problem. I have this old fashioned concept that we need to respect each other and how we perceive the world.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
It would completely depend on the person I was marrying (or not). If she is a far-right, fundamentalist Christian, then we'll be lucky to even get through one date. If she's open-minded, mature, and respectful of other people who are different from her, then there would be a much better chance of us getting along. I also doubt I could marry an atheist who doesn't show respect for people who are different from her.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
It's possible but I think there would be more of an issue of them wanting to marrying me because I'm an atheist rather than the other way around.

Thankfully my current girlfriend is Buddhist-light.

When I did do online dating, I generally didn't mention my atheism and I'd bring it up on the 2nd or 3rd date if we got to that point.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
I agree with George, I too am married to a theist. She is not of the rabid variety. We have agreed to disagree on this subject, it does not come up. Neither of us thinks that our views on religion are so profound and wonderful that the other has to agree. She has no more patience with JW's or Mormons than do I,...she lets me deal with them, she understands that neither of these two groups comprehend "polite", I do "impolite" really well, she says I take it to the level of an art form, when the need arises.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,167,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
I don't think i could, since i view theism as a deficit of understanding and logic...

but there are special cases i guess...when you can see that someone just needs the proper education to realize the problems with what they currently believe in.
Yea sure. Deist don't seem bat crazy like a lot of true believers are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism