U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,333 posts, read 2,601,005 times
Reputation: 259

Advertisements

I mean that a miracle could be given from above is the religious idea, and it would come perhaps out of the unknown but enlightened meeting foe conference of perhaps world leaders.

Religious people are reasoning about moralities in disagreement and about cultural differences determining the individual lives of ordinary people as significant to those high flutan causes.

But what is the take for atheists when the grace of national leaders come to show for the plausible laying aside of differences. Is there a common justified necessary Reason, or is 'out of the BLUE' truly possible, just because the Grace at the event becomes suddenly so bearable, and the leaders discover that their HUMANE interests with one another were really existing because of hidden causes and agendas. They lied; but now they are telling the Truth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 PM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,457,986 times
Reputation: 1979
You're not talking about politicians are you? Because, maybe I'm just cynical and jaded, but the idea of any politician ever giving more than lip service or political expediency to humane interests, much less an entire conference of them, strikes me as just a hair's breadth less conceivable than the Almighty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,606,251 times
Reputation: 1021
I am totally confused by the original post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Vermont
10,773 posts, read 12,068,937 times
Reputation: 15394
It's kind of hard to tell what you're getting at, but I'll take a stab at it.

In your life you have observed that sometimes, in times of great crisis, the leaders of one or more countries will make decisions that actually respond to the crisis and make things better for people. And sometimes this happens even when it would appear that those leaders, by personal inclination or cultural pattern, would be more likely to be in conflict than to cooperate.

Do I have that about right?

Do I consider this a miracle or a sign of some supernatural intervention? No. I would never interpret human or natural events as a sign of supernatural intervention unless there was no other plausible explanation.

In this case, although it often happens that world leaders make bad decisions, or act in self-defeating ways, that is by no means a universal pattern. There are definitely times when a world leader will take action that seems surprising when the interests of his/her country or humanity require it. I'm not saying it's the likeliest outcome, but humans do possess the ability to analyze situations and to put the interests of a larger group ahead of parochial interests.

I wish they did it more often, but I don't anticipate that we will reach this desired state by means of supernatural intervention.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 PM
 
9,912 posts, read 12,827,457 times
Reputation: 7305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's kind of hard to tell what you're getting at, but I'll take a stab at it.

In your life you have observed that sometimes, in times of great crisis, the leaders of one or more countries will make decisions that actually respond to the crisis and make things better for people. And sometimes this happens even when it would appear that those leaders, by personal inclination or cultural pattern, would be more likely to be in conflict than to cooperate.

Do I have that about right?

Do I consider this a miracle or a sign of some supernatural intervention? No. I would never interpret human or natural events as a sign of supernatural intervention unless there was no other plausible explanation.

In this case, although it often happens that world leaders make bad decisions, or act in self-defeating ways, that is by no means a universal pattern. There are definitely times when a world leader will take action that seems surprising when the interests of his/her country or humanity require it. I'm not saying it's the likeliest outcome, but humans do possess the ability to analyze situations and to put the interests of a larger group ahead of parochial interests.

I wish they did it more often, but I don't anticipate that we will reach this desired state by means of supernatural intervention.
What Jack said!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,820,116 times
Reputation: 2356
"like a bolt out of the blue,
fate steps in and sees you through."

no, I think there is a reason for the things we do. But, I'm willing to listen if you can show where I'm wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,333 posts, read 2,601,005 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
You're not talking about politicians are you? Because, maybe I'm just cynical and jaded, but the idea of any politician ever giving more than lip service or political expediency to humane interests, much less an entire conference of them, strikes me as just a hair's breadth less conceivable than the Almighty.

One can realize His words as lip service for the Events of the times as I have considered; nevertheless, that is represented to the over-all public as well as the subjective review in the person's (listening) mind. The over-all public review may be money OR it may be the freedom in further unrealized Agendas.

Yes, I also think the Nation is constantly revealing Spirit for all of Us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 22,822,945 times
Reputation: 5143
That is even more incomprehensible to me than the original post. No offense. I certainly don't see anything supernatural in any of what is going on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,599,701 times
Reputation: 4290
Is the cat on the roof playing the fiddle twice before the noon sun dawns? Does the camera on the eye of the solar system disregard its true intent and purpose? Perhaps the water in the baseball jug disrobes before the coming of the king and bows upon its ears? The answer to these questions lie in the formulation of specific hypotheses used to induct Ohm's law via a binary harmonic frequency into the opening of a horse's rectum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 AM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,087 posts, read 13,506,885 times
Reputation: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
"like a bolt out of the blue,
fate steps in and sees you through."

no, I think there is a reason for the things we do. But, I'm willing to listen if you can show where I'm wrong.
I am not convinced that "reason" has much bearing on the activity of human beings. My suspicion is that, for the most part, humans do things because A. they can, or they think they can B. they want to. I really try not to make things more complex than they are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top