Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM

345 posts, read 204,473 times

Advertisements

I suspect that most athiests are only athiests until the day they die. Most of us take life for granted and seem to think what we know as reality will always be there. Most of us spend the first half of our lives wishing it away and the second half wishing we had that part back. It is amazing to me how intelligent peole can look at the universe in all its magnificense, we don't understand even a twit of what we know never mind what we don't know, yet, some peope have the incredible audacity to declare they are an athiest. The purist form of narcissism. "To know that you know what you know and to know that you do not know what you do not know is true knowledge" Confucious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 07:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,587,583 times
Speaking for myself, I am not a hater of any body because of their belief or non belief. Maybe I don't follow the christian way like I should, because I don't try to change an Athiest. If they become a believer it will happen more because of some personal life experience, not from being hit in the head with the Bible too many times. I am envious of the Athiests though..They are really well read and they can quote chapter and verse better than some preachers I have knownI think that you Athiests here are well liked

Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,748,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
I suspect that most athiests are only athiests until the day they die.
Why would anyone not have the "audacity" to declare themselves an atheist? It is a matter of opinion, how can you be speaking of audacity when it is opinion and personal belief? And hardcore atheists I know would probably have their beliefs reinforced on the day they die or watch others die. They simply believe that we are here, we live, and then we die, all as a part of the circle of life (like with all the other animal species on earth).

Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 PM

253 posts, read 641,887 times
Quote:
I suspect that most athiests are only athiests until the day they die. Most of us take life for granted and seem to think what we know as reality will always be there. Most of us spend the first half of our lives wishing it away and the second half wishing we had that part back. It is amazing to me how intelligent peole can look at the universe in all its magnificense, we don't understand even a twit of what we know never mind what we don't know, yet, some peope have the incredible audacity to declare they are an athiest. The purist form of narcissism. "To know that you know what you know and to know that you do not know what you do not know is true knowledge" Confucious.
Intersesting that you quote Confucious...

I think your post is a bit uncalled for, and a bit too sure of your own beliefs. People like you are the reason this thread was started.
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything"
-most parents.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:59 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,327,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Intersesting that you quote Confucious...

I think your post is a bit uncalled for, and a bit too sure of your own beliefs. People like you are the reason this thread was started.
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything"
-most parents.

"...God created me in his likeness and image." I remember that from first grade...Now THAT'S narcissism....

Old 06-09-2007, 09:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,143,732 times
Quote:
Most of us spend the first half of our lives wishing it away and the second half wishing we had that part back.
This is an amazing quote. I loved this.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:22 PM

345 posts, read 204,473 times
Ah yes. How I love these forums where all you have to do is disagree and you get censored or booted off or derided for being politically incorrect. You see, this is where it is all going socially and politically. The last people that did that were called Nazis. Fact is a good deal of you folks totally make fun of Jews because of creationism and even despise Christians because they don't fit your narrow little mold of secularism. Secularism being the most popular of all religions today. You have the media on your side whether it be the alphabet stations or whether it be forums like this one. The problem is you hear yourself speaking only and cherry pick what you want to deride.

I pose to you the notion that it is "pure narcissism" for any man or woman to presume they are so intelligent as to ascertain there is no such thing as God. A man or woman that proclaims they are agnostic I will give them their leave. I have no proof of God. I do have proof that there is much greater in this vast universe than my pathetic concepts. That's o.k. You go ahead and stroke your little athiest and stroke yourself for being soooo objective and understanding. Athiests may very well be well read people. However, I happen to believe that wise decision making is made when the information is all in and can be measured on the merits. I think there may be some information out there that is yet to be measured. That was the point of my original post. I am so sorry I offended your most objective sensibilities.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,143,732 times
Kaintuck, I understand your angst since a whole bunch of people jumped on you at once.

So I'm sorry to pick up on something, but how do you see that secularism is the most popular religion today? 80% of this country is Christian. Christianity is the most popular religion today (I mean assuming you're in the U.S.).

Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,270,813 times
I fail to see how being sure in ones beliefs is a negative or should be criticized. . . and I don't know how anyone can be "a little too sure in one's beliefs."

Old 06-09-2007, 09:31 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,315,943 times
The main thing I have run into is that some christians assume that all morality flows from being a christian so therefore since I don't beleive in any god at all, I therefore must also have no morals...

Nothing could be further from the truth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism