Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times

Advertisements

I really notice how the word atheist has a certain stigma associated with it. I also notice that when most people even say the word atheist their faces seem to contort as though they've just walked past a dumpster full of rotting vegetables and caught a whiff of something unpleasant. I think I mentioned once on a post that polls have shown that atheists are placed lower than any group, even homosexuals, when they were asked who they could consider voting for in an election. I think if you looked at various groups of individuals who have a negative stereotype you could work your way down the list from overbearing used car salesmen to illegal immigrants to hookers and as you continued your downward spiral to the very bottom position you'd probably end up with death row inmates and child molesters. But just one notch above those guys is my group, the atheists. Just one level above us is the winos, peeping toms and convicted felons. I know there's no way we could beat those guys in a popularity contest. So my basic question is this. Why do people have such a negative view of us just for something we don't believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 05:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times
The common belief seems to be that without a God to watch what we are doing, we would all run rampant and murder, steal, rape and form corrupt societies. This seems to overlook that even WITH God, we run rampant and murder, steal, rape and form corrupt societies.

People are afraid of atheists for a couple of reasons, as far as I can see.

1. Atheists are believed to have "all the fun". The idea is that without a God to be afraid of, we will do whatever we want, whatever we want. The irony is that some of the most moral people I know are atheists or agnostics. They are moral *deep inside*...they don't need a fear to keep them that way.

2. Atheism is often connected with Satanism. This too is a little ironic since one who doesn't believe in Judaism or Christianity doesn't believe in Satan either.

3. Tying in to Number One above, I feel there is an element of jealousy. People inwardly may wish they were free of someone rowing their boat and telling them what to do.

For the record, I know you know this, MG, but not everyone might...I believe in God but not as the Bible describes God.

Therefore, I can't criticize anyone for a belief in God or even for taking on a religion as a way to express and interpret that belief. HOWEVER...to me it is a bit of a condemnation of people who claim to be Godly, that they assume others wouldn't behave without a fear above them. This to me means that they themselves wouldn't behave without a fear above them. If not, then they wouldn't have created this thought and idea in the first place.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:44 PM

50 posts, read 222,494 times
Funny, but quite often I find it the other way around...

Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,738,173 times
I think there is a huge misconception that if a person does not have a deity or deities to lead their life, they are incapable of making good, moral decisions and/or live a happy/fulfilled life. I recall dealing with some very religious folk back when I was in high school and they told me that the reason I was so unhappy was because I had no guide in my life. Funny thing was that I was feeling particularly giddy that day because life had been going well for quite a while and I felt luck was on my side. I told them my family morals and my conscience were my two guides to life and they had guided me to be a straight A student, a public speaking state champ, and to volunteer my time to Big Brothers and Big Sisters. Their response? "If you had God in your life, you'd be even better, happier, and and more fulfilled." Sometimes you can't win :eyeroll:
I guess it is just not fathomable for some people who have been "guided" by religion all their life that people without a religion can be just as satisfied with life. I don't really blame these people, because they really haven't known any other way of living. By their perspective, they probably would be completely lost and perhaps even rebellious if they did not have that religious presence in their life.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,648,212 times
Personally, I have nothing against atheists. If I would, I would have very few people to speak with...No friends, I'm afraid...What I do have against atheists (some), is that many of them cannot respect that other people have a faith and are entitled to it, just as they themselves are entitled NOT to believe.

Where I live, in the country as a whole, it is actually the Christians and other believers (but mainly Christians as we are the only ones they feel ok with putting down) who are frowned upon. If you say you're a Christian, people often assume that you must be stupid or be less intelligent than people in general (this being the atheists).

Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
Sweden wrote:
Quote:
If you say you're a Christian, people often assume that you must be stupid or be less intelligent than people in general (this being the atheists).
You make a very good point. I realize that Europe is much different than America and atheism is more common. I completely agree with what you're saying. I think that everyone should be treated with respect and it shouldn't depend on their religious belief or lack of religious belief. Many of my family members are religious and they're definitely not stupid. My point in starting this thread is to point out the fact that in American society atheists are not very popular and people look down on us and that's never made any sense to me.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,792,548 times
OK, I'm trying to figure out how to say this without sounding ingnorant. But if truth be told, I would have to say that it is nothing but ignorance that puts that stigma on atheism. Prior to finding this forum and talking with atheists and hearing your views, morals, lifestyles, whatever, I don't know if I actually know any atheists. It's not like that is the first thing that comes up in conversation. At least with me. I am also not one to ask "are you a Christian"? I would almost say that it is like being ignorant of another person's culture. I have learned alot on this forum.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:27 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,263,001 times
I agree. I don't think society "looks down or has a low opinion of atheists."

I too have not really had much exposure to athesists in my day to day life. Or if I do I don't realize it.

I think a lot of atheists keep it to themselves because they think they will be stigmatized. Any Christian wouldn't have a low opinion of an atheist although I can't say the same for the reverse. It is true that atheists sometimes look down on people of faith.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:35 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,738,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Any Christian wouldn't have a low opinion of an atheist
You must be among some really nice Christians, then.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 PM

253 posts, read 641,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The common belief seems to be that without a God to watch what we are doing, we would all run rampant and murder, steal, rape and form corrupt societies. This seems to overlook that even WITH God, we run rampant and murder, steal, rape and form corrupt societies.

People are afraid of atheists for a couple of reasons, as far as I can see.

1. Atheists are believed to have "all the fun". The idea is that without a God to be afraid of, we will do whatever we want, whatever we want. The irony is that some of the most moral people I know are atheists or agnostics. They are moral *deep inside*...they don't need a fear to keep them that way.

2. Atheism is often connected with Satanism. This too is a little ironic since one who doesn't believe in Judaism or Christianity doesn't believe in Satan either.

3. Tying in to Number One above, I feel there is an element of jealousy. People inwardly may wish they were free of someone rowing their boat and telling them what to do.

For the record, I know you know this, MG, but not everyone might...I believe in God but not as the Bible describes God.

Therefore, I can't criticize anyone for a belief in God or even for taking on a religion as a way to express and interpret that belief. HOWEVER...to me it is a bit of a condemnation of people who claim to be Godly, that they assume others wouldn't behave without a fear above them. This to me means that they themselves wouldn't behave without a fear above them. If not, then they wouldn't have created this thought and idea in the first place.

I have to own up that I probably would be a much less moral person than I am if I didn't believe in God, sometimes it is simply that fear that has kept me in line, but at times when I am not considering sin, when I look up and see that beautiful sunset, or sit in the shade of a nice tree in the forest and look around me I realize how much I love God. So I think that the belief in God is more than just to keep somebody in line, or to turn to for help, but to have somebody to turn to and thank for all of the wonderful things that we can't turn to thank our peers for.

Anyways, getting on topic. Athiests are not always persecuted and looked down upon, now, it is rather common here as America is a mainly Christian country whose biggest crop is arrogance. But I see Athiests looking down upon Christians, or Christians looking down upon Jews (and I see more people use "Jew" as a bad name than "Athiest") or Muslims looking down on Christians, or Muslims looking down on Athiests or Jews, or Christians looking down on Muslims, or Mormons getting looked down upon by the rest of Christianity, or Mormons looking down upon the rest of Christianity, the list goes on and on.

I think the real question you are getting at is why people have prejuduces. Why do people hate eachother? Why does difference matter? and I have to say that your guess is as good as mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism