Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 PM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times

Advertisements

I wanted to keep track of some of the major developments / re-developments intended in metro Atlanta.
--

Fort McPherson redevelopment - What is the intended future use? I think the base closing itself is only next year or so?

Aerotropolis Atlanta - is this to be at the site of the former Ford Plant? Is the plant structure still up, or have they started taking it down?

GM Doraville - my understand that they are still deciding what to develop there. I know the structure is still there.

Town Brookhaven - when I drove there 4 months back in the dark, I noticed two high rise apartment buildings. I think there was some construction activity (foundation level?), probably for the retail space. But I saw this in the dark and may have missed something.

Streets of Buckhead - foundation stages. Financing issues

--
Please list any other major planned developments of this magnitude. I think additions to Allen Plaza downtown may be of this magnitude, but I dont know the details about that area.

Last edited by FromGA; 06-09-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 PM

11 posts, read 18,932 times
McPherson is being redeveloped into a bioscience research center. I believe they'll be focusing on vaccine research or something like that. There's going to be a lot of cooperation between it and the universities.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Smyrna/Vinings/Cumberland area:

Riverwood 200 in Cumberland - Currently grading and laying groundwork

Overlook 200 in Cumberland - On hold due to economy and effect on commercial office market. Decreased vacancies for office space in Cumberland increases likelihood of a groundbreak soon.

Belmont Hills in Smyrna - Completing demolition, starting grading and laying groundwork. Plan to go vertical by next year.

Jonquil Village in Smyrna - On hold due to investor funding difficulties

Four Corners in Smyrna - Planned. Work will begin soon.

Park Vinings - Rezoned as retirement condos and height increased to 35 floors to add community amenities on lower floors.

Aberdeen at Vinings - Completed.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 AM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Streets of Buckhead is suppose to start back up in July. A recent article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle said the developer got the financing he needed to start construction again. I hope so, we'll see...

Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I had to go by Oglethorpe the other day and there's construction underway on the back side of the property. Maybe that's the Costco?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I wanted to keep track of some of the major developments / re-developments intended in metro Atlanta.
--
Aerotropolis Atlanta - is this to be at the site of the former Ford Plant? Is the plant structure still up, or have they started taking it down?
Yes the site of the former Ford Plant, and no the plant is already demolish.

Here's the developers site Jacoby Group the same Developers of Atlantic station.

Here's a rendering from there site aerotropolis.pdf

Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM

17 posts, read 32,413 times
two renderings of the Fort McPherson project here:
Cheers to Fort McPherson | Life at HOK

Click images to see the overhead and 3d rendering.
Until work begins, what's the transition going to be like for the surrounding neighborhood?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
GM Doraville still doesn't have a developer or a buyer for the property. It is still owned by GM. They are holding on to the property hoping to get top dollar for it in the future.

Dekalb Co. had the opportunity to work with a developer to buy and redevelop the property, but that would have required at alot of public commitment and was voted down.

Everything is just stalled or moving slowly, because of the economy.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Town Brookhaven- Site is Active, currently under construction

Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM

17 posts, read 32,413 times
Update on Ft. Mac:
Dec 15, 2010 Master Plan pdf:
http://www.mcphersonredevelopment.com/documents/MASTERPLANFINALDecember152010.pdf (broken link)

Interesting to see the difference between the 2007 concept and the current layout...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta