U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 20,642 times

Advertisements

We are considering purchasing a home in Vinings Estates. We are a white family of 4 with kids who will be entering elementary school in the next 3 years. We love Vinings Estates and the short commute into Downtown ATL. We don't love the test scores of Nickajack Elementary, which is the school feed.

We continue to hear from people that Nickajack is making a comeback. That since most Vinings Estates families can't afford the private schools anymore that they are sending their kids to Nickajack and it is starting to make a difference in balancing out the diversity, in test scores, and in parent involvement. We want a school that is diverse but would prefer that the school be better balanced across ethnicities.

Advice / direction? Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,284,831 times
We also have a topic thread at the top of the forum just for this specific topic (school ratings) and you can use the search feature in that too, which may help: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html

thank you

Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM

15,032 posts, read 24,093,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thvols View Post
We are considering purchasing a home in Vinings Estates. We are a white family of 4 with kids who will be entering elementary school in the next 3 years. We love Vinings Estates and the short commute into Downtown ATL. We don't love the test scores of Nickajack Elementary, which is the school feed.

We continue to hear from people that Nickajack is making a comeback. That since most Vinings Estates families can't afford the private schools anymore that they are sending their kids to Nickajack and it is starting to make a difference in balancing out the diversity, in test scores, and in parent involvement. We want a school that is diverse but would prefer that the school be better balanced across ethnicities.

Advice / direction? Thanks

I know school is out, but as soon as you get the chance (early August) go tour the school. People will also chime in on here with more information.

I hear good/great things about Nickajack...and I love Vinings Estates as well--I have since they first started construction...

Parent Reviews of Nickajack Elementary School - Smyrna, Georgia - GA

Student Teacher Ratio Nickajack Elementary School - Smyrna, Georgia - GA

And...how much higher of a white student percentage would make it better balanced across ethnicities in your opinion?

Last edited by aries4118; 06-18-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the responses. In regards to the question of how much higher of white student percentage would make it better balanced... I know that it may not be possible but I would love to see an almost equal percentage across the major ethnicities.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thvols View Post
Thanks for the responses. In regards to the question of how much higher of white student percentage would make it better balanced... I know that it may not be possible but I would love to see an almost equal percentage across the major ethnicities.

Well, maybe you'll get what you're looking/hoping for someday...or somewhere.

Last edited by aries4118; 06-18-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,853,269 times
Nickajack is a great school. All Cobb schools are comparable in terms of what they offer and Nickajack has been continually improving. Kings Springs, Teasley, and Nickajack are the best three elementary schools in Smryna. Brown is ok too. If you look at the demographics, most of the new developments in Nickajack district are $300k+. The fact that many can't send their kids to private school is an obvious outcome of a bad economy and many people in 400k+ homes being house poor due to bank lending practices. Keep in mind that test scores indicate more about parental involvement of the less wealthy families from apartments and such in Smyrna than they do about quality of education. Parental involvement is important, but not the whole picture. Many teachers are very dedicated to their students.

As far as demographics - keep in mind that many of the black people in Smyrna are wealthy, kind of like Cascade, which is just what comes with the territory of being in the NW metro. Wealthy black families move to the 'burbs and people need to get used to that if you are from other cities, like Detroit, where a large black population indicates poverty (even though some parts of metro Detroit like Southfield have wealthy black populations). Smyrna isn't exactly suburban, of course, but it is a move out to a less dense area for wealthy black families in Atlanta. In metro Atlanta, yes some of the poorest areas are all black but there are some mixed areas with large black populations and million dollar plus homes and very wealthy communities. The wealthy communities like my own (off Camp Highland) in Nickajack district are 30%/30%/30% for the most part - 30% white, 30%, black, 30% asian. So if white people and asians keep sending their kids to private school, then elementary schools will continue to be mostly black. I consider this more a form of racism than some indication of how good the school is. I agree balanced is better, but considering it is balancing more (just not as much as we'd hope) and our neighborhood is balanced, I don't really have major concerns.

Our daughter is 3 and going to a preschool. I am white. When she's older she will be going to Nickajack.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-19-2010 at 10:18 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Nickajack is a great school. All Cobb schools are comparable in terms of what they offer and Nickajack has been continually improving. 1) Kings Springs, Teasley, and Nickajack are the best three elementary schools in Smryna. Brown is ok too. If you look at the demographics, most of the new developments in Nickajack district are $300k+. The fact that many can't send their kids to private school is an obvious outcome of a bad economy and many people in 400k+ homes being house poor due to bank lending practices. 2) Keep in mind that test scores indicate more about parental involvement of the less wealthy families from apartments and such in Smyrna than they do about quality of education. Parental involvement is important, but not the whole picture. Many teachers are very dedicated to their students.

3) As far as demographics - keep in mind that many of the black people in Smyrna are wealthy, kind of like Cascade, which is just what comes with the territory of being in the NW metro. Wealthy black families move to the 'burbs and people need to get used to that if you are from other cities, like Detroit, where a large black population indicates poverty (even though some parts of metro Detroit like Southfield have wealthy black populations). Smyrna isn't exactly suburban, of course, but it is a move out to a less dense area for wealthy black families in Atlanta. In metro Atlanta, yes some of the poorest areas are all black but there are some mixed areas with large black populations and million dollar plus homes and very wealthy communities. The wealthy communities like my own (off Camp Highland) in Nickajack district are 30%/30%/30% for the most part - 30% white, 30%, black, 30% asian. 4) So if white people and asians keep sending their kids to private school, then elementary schools will continue to be mostly black. I consider this more a form of racism than some indication of how good the school is. I agree balanced is better, but considering it is balancing more (just not as much as we'd hope) and our neighborhood is balanced, I don't really have major concerns.

Our daughter is 3 and going to a preschool. I am white. 5) When she's older she will be going to Nickajack.
(see numbered highlights above)

1. These four schools are part of what I call the "golden five" of Smyrna-Mableton-Vinings: King Springs, Nickajack, Teasley, Brown, and Mableton. I can see Russell Elementary joining them in the next 5 to 9 years--forming a "golden six."

2. Right on. I hear so many great things about the program, staff, and teachers at Nickajack.

3. A lot of people need to realize this about Metro Atlanta. So different from most other U.S. cities--especially the cities in the Northeast and Midwest.

4. Well said and spot on.

5. I would send my child to Nickajack in a heartbeat. My cousin lives in the Nickajack district (an upper-middle class enclave) and she plans on sending her son (my first cousin once removed...he's 3 as well) to Nickajack.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. This dialogue has been helpful!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Nickajack is a great school. All Cobb schools are comparable in terms of what they offer and Nickajack has been continually improving. Kings Springs, Teasley, and Nickajack are the best three elementary schools in Smryna. Brown is ok too. If you look at the demographics, most of the new developments in Nickajack district are $300k+. The fact that many can't send their kids to private school is an obvious outcome of a bad economy and many people in 400k+ homes being house poor due to bank lending practices. Keep in mind that test scores indicate more about parental involvement of the less wealthy families from apartments and such in Smyrna than they do about quality of education. Parental involvement is important, but not the whole picture. Many teachers are very dedicated to their students.

As far as demographics - keep in mind that many of the black people in Smyrna are wealthy, kind of like Cascade, which is just what comes with the territory of being in the NW metro. Wealthy black families move to the 'burbs and people need to get used to that if you are from other cities, like Detroit, where a large black population indicates poverty (even though some parts of metro Detroit like Southfield have wealthy black populations). Smyrna isn't exactly suburban, of course, but it is a move out to a less dense area for wealthy black families in Atlanta. In metro Atlanta, yes some of the poorest areas are all black but there are some mixed areas with large black populations and million dollar plus homes and very wealthy communities. The wealthy communities like my own (off Camp Highland) in Nickajack district are 30%/30%/30% for the most part - 30% white, 30%, black, 30% asian. So if white people and asians keep sending their kids to private school, then elementary schools will continue to be mostly black. I consider this more a form of racism than some indication of how good the school is. I agree balanced is better, but considering it is balancing more (just not as much as we'd hope) and our neighborhood is balanced, I don't really have major concerns.

Our daughter is 3 and going to a preschool. I am white. When she's older she will be going to Nickajack.
"indicate more about parental involvement of the less wealthy families from apartments"

So if you live in an apartment you must be poor and uninvolved? OR, possibly, one has moved to the area and is wise enough to not purchase in such an unstable market/economy. I imagine I could apply my $1400+ rent to a mortgage and be stuck in a home, like 'you', but that makes no more sense to me than the stereotypical assumptions of this thread. YES, socioeconomic conditions have strong bearing on the success of a school, but poor 'white' schools are no better than poor 'black' schools.

Btw, I'm a white, widowed mother of a Nickajack 1st grader.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,059,807 times
HangingMyHat

This is your first post on cd and you are responding to a thread that is over 2 years old. Don't take everything somone posts as so personal - there is a limitation to this form of communication and it is possible comments appear far worse in print than the poster intendeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta