Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM

77 posts, read 291,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
,Talks about how to "fix" Atlanta need to just be shelved. I think anyone with vision can see that Atlanta has gone past the point of no return. There is no fix... no way to make things better... no grand plan that would work even if all the local towns DID work together at this point. It's gone. The best they can do is just slow the choking down a bit if they do things right (which we know they won't). Short of an earthquake or meteor just flattening the whole area where we can start building from scratch over again, nothing can salvage the sinking ship. The best thing the Atlanta region can do now is to make sure those smaller cities ARE aware of our mistakes, so it at least doesn't happen to anyone else.
I'm glad to know somebody else here feels the same way I do. I actually found this site because I am starting to research areas for relocation out of the Atlanta area. I am actually starting to become afraid of relocating to Chattanooga or Greeneville, because I can easily see the Atlanta growth eventually going all the way to those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 25,080 times
The biggest mistake was introducing rapid transportation too late, after so many major corporations moved outside the perimeter. As a result, most of the white collar workers do not use MARTA, but drive to work alone in their cars. Some of the suburban counties have introduced express bus systems, but it's almost too late. The cow's already out of the barn.

I'd love to turn back the clock to a time when we went to the movies downtown and shopped at the downtown Macy's and Rich's. Now, it takes a lot of planning to enjoy the many amenities that Atlanta offers.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,537,901 times
Question 10 Best Big Cities/Money Magazine

Go>>>
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: 10 Best Big Cities (http://tinyurl.com/l2czg - broken link)

Maybe life is better in Witchita, Kansas --I know I don't want to more there.

Wichita, KS>>
The Official City of Wichita Homepage

Aircraft manufacturing is a major industry and they do not have rapid transit...

Last edited by TakeAhike; 06-20-2007 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 AM

131 posts, read 493,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Talks about how to "fix" Atlanta need to just be shelved. I think anyone with vision can see that Atlanta has gone past the point of no return. There is no fix... no way to make things better... no grand plan that would work even if all the local towns DID work together at this point. It's gone. The best they can do is just slow the choking down a bit if they do things right (which we know they won't). Short of an earthquake or meteor just flattening the whole area where we can start building from scratch over again, nothing can salvage the sinking ship. The best thing the Atlanta region can do now is to make sure those smaller cities ARE aware of our mistakes, so it at least doesn't happen to anyone else.
Well said! Man, how I wish I found this site BEFORE I moved here (and now can't leave).

Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,635,727 times
wow Im rather shocked about how much negative vibe there is about atlanta thanks for each of your input

Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,537,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
wow Im rather shocked about how much negative vibe there is about atlanta thanks for each of your input
It's really the entire state.

For years agriculture was a major industry --'Peanuts, Peaches, Cotton', etc -metro Atlanta was the Center of Commerce and the rest of state really didn't develop.

So TPTB decided --'Let's develop the state' and Voila--it happened too fast and now that the people are here--we don't have the infrastructure and other 'amenities' that should have been in place. 'Cart before the horse'.

Until the mid 90's I was pretty happy/coping pretty well. A few million more must have moved here in about 6/7 years.

And all the things that nobody likes in any city--certain that many transplants were rather fed up with previous locations and expected too much from Atlanta? Maybe so or maybe not.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 35,665 times
Don't be so quick to doom our area. We have plenty of opportunity to fix our problems and although it won't be easy, it's definitely feasible. We are already seeing new plans for the Beltline move foward. One day mass transit can reach heavily populated suburbs such as Gwinnett and Cobb, and even our local governments along with the city of Atlanta can work together to solve our problems.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,955,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather27 View Post
Don't be so quick to doom our area. We have plenty of opportunity to fix our problems and although it won't be easy, it's definitely feasible. We are already seeing new plans for the Beltline move foward. One day mass transit can reach heavily populated suburbs such as Gwinnett and Cobb, and even our local governments along with the city of Atlanta can work together to solve our problems.
For future reference to those that are new....

This thread was nearly 3 years dead until now. Posting dates can be found on the upper-corner of posts, so when you reply to a post, you may want to check the date of the post you're replying to as the topic may no longer be active or about an issue that is still considered news any longer.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 PM

10 posts, read 16,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

One thing your city and Atlanta are doing right; they are actively attracting business. Our region is not experiencing decline the way the rust belt, and some states with high costs of living are. We have folks working to bring things here. That's not true in many places. Some places are trying just keep what they have from leaving.

There is a lot Atlanta has done well and of course many things wrong. But I simply think it comes down to geography is destiny. Our cities have the right geography for these particular times in which we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta