Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times

Advertisements

I often here about how Charlotte NC is on its way to becoming the next Atlanta and Im not sure how to take ths message is it a good thing or bad thing?
What on both points should Charlotte model itself after?
What areas has Atlanta made mistake that Charlotte should try to avoid?

What problems has plaqued Atlanta with growth, economic development and mass transit

How has Atlanta made improvements or curbed these areas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Question A recent discussion of this

Go Here>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-best.html

There have been other similar discussions --I can't recall the thread titles--but in general, Atlanta's rapid growth--urban sprawl is not something to emulate.

The next few decades could bring great change to the SE but primarily for geographic reasons I don't see how Charlotte or any other city in the SE could become 'another Atlanta'.

FWIW--a brief review of how Atlanta came to be what it is>>>
A Brief History of Atlanta

Atlanta is now in the process of trying to 'Regroup'/correct the mistakes of expanding too quickly--economic growth was imperative--plenty of FYI available on the 'white flight' of the past several decades.

Traffic is terrible, the area is overdeveloped, air quality is poor and for years Atlanta has been known for high crime and corrupt politicians...it's no secret.

I'm just glad the future looks a little brighter.

sls

Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
I went into this in another post, but other cities are already studying Atlanta, but not how you may think.

A couple or so years ago, there was a small conference of Mayors and/or city representatives here from places like Austin, Portland I think, Nashville.. medium sized cities that are experiencing growth. They came here to study Atlanta so as to AVOID all of the mistakes in their opinions Atlanta has made with its uncontrolled growth in the area. In other words, we were the poster child of what not to do.

This wasn't exactly advertised by the convention boards here, and someone I know who has a city position said city leaders were LESS than thrilled to find out about it - even more so when the story hit the media and short blurbs on it were done on a couple of local evening news shows.

So my guess is that city leaders in Charlotte do not consider it a good thing when people say to them, "you're the next Atlanta".

Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
^Agreed. Atlanta, on a general level, should not be used as the prime prototype for growing metro areas. The sprawl, poor commuting options, and the way-too-subruban lifestyle (particularly the car-oriented nature of the city) is just not what I would want to see in another upcoming metro area.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
Well, it's not necessarily Atlanta as much as it is outlining counties and their zoning laws.

Most have tried to cram as much development on the least amount of acreage, i.e. under 1/4 acre lots are a norm now.
Gotta love govt. and their greed for tax money.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Well, it's not necessarily Atlanta as much as it is outlining counties and their zoning laws.

Most have tried to cram as much development on the least amount of acreage, i.e. under 1/4 acre lots are a norm now.
Gotta love govt. and their greed for tax money.
It's a combination of a lot of things, the most of which is the complete lack of cooperation between all of the MANY small local governments and the city of Atlanta. I suppose you could chalk some of it up to "old south racial tensions" as well.

Many of the suburban governments are majority white. The city of Atlanta government body is majority black. Most all of them are of the "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mentality. The city of Atlanta has pretty much a black version of the "good old boy" favors system, and the white suburban governments are likewise, old south white bubba mentalities. Each side has the, "I'm not working with *those people*" way of thinking. As a result, you have dozens of smaller cities who refuse to acknowledge that they would not even exist if Atlanta wasn't there, and you have Atlanta which refuses to admit that a lot of the money that comes in, comes in from those suburban areas. They need each other to exist, yet, refuse to work with each other. Result = sprawl, disorganization, etc.

Developers also play a roll in this as you mentioned. I swear if one PATCH of grass is visible somewhere, then Billy Bubba Bob has to get his crew out there with tractors and dig it up.. "Holy crud, there's some grass! We can't have that here! Build something on it - quick!!". Of course, it once again ultimately falls to the elected officials in that area, because they SHOULD be denying a lot more building permits than they're allowing, which isn't the case (can you guess how many elected folks have relatives in the construction business? ).

Talks about how to "fix" Atlanta need to just be shelved. I think anyone with vision can see that Atlanta has gone past the point of no return. There is no fix... no way to make things better... no grand plan that would work even if all the local towns DID work together at this point. It's gone. The best they can do is just slow the choking down a bit if they do things right (which we know they won't). Short of an earthquake or meteor just flattening the whole area where we can start building from scratch over again, nothing can salvage the sinking ship. The best thing the Atlanta region can do now is to make sure those smaller cities ARE aware of our mistakes, so it at least doesn't happen to anyone else.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I often here about how Charlotte NC is on its way to becoming the next Atlanta and Im not sure how to take ths message is it a good thing or bad thing?
What on both points should Charlotte model itself after?
What areas has Atlanta made mistake that Charlotte should try to avoid?

What problems has plaqued Atlanta with growth, economic development and mass transit

How has Atlanta made improvements or curbed these areas?

Thanks
Never! Atlanta is perhaps the closest you will get to an LA-style metropolis. I think Atlanta rivals LA in pollution and severe sprawl. Public transit in Atlanta is a joke, more so than most cities.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Go Here>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-best.html

There have been other similar discussions --I can't recall the thread titles--but in general, Atlanta's rapid growth--urban sprawl is not something to emulate.

The next few decades could bring great change to the SE but primarily for geographic reasons I don't see how Charlotte or any other city in the SE could become 'another Atlanta'.

FWIW--a brief review of how Atlanta came to be what it is>>>
A Brief History of Atlanta

Atlanta is now in the process of trying to 'Regroup'/correct the mistakes of expanding too quickly--economic growth was imperative--plenty of FYI available on the 'white flight' of the past several decades.

Traffic is terrible, the area is overdeveloped, air quality is poor and for years Atlanta has been known for high crime and corrupt politicians...it's no secret.

I'm just glad the future looks a little brighter.

sls
I know about these problems. I live in the Atlanta metro area. After 11 years in this metro, I find the place overrated. I think the only reason many people move here is cost of living and jobs.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Default I just hope things will get better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I know about these problems. I live in the Atlanta metro area. After 11 years in this metro, I find the place overrated. I think the only reason many people move here is cost of living and jobs.
I am in favor of growth and change but never imagined the complexities involved. It is what it is.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I swear if one PATCH of grass is visible somewhere, then Billy Bubba Bob has to get his crew out there with tractors and dig it up.. "Holy crud, there's some grass! We can't have that here! Build something on it - quick!!".
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Short of an earthquake or meteor just flattening the whole area where we can start building from scratch over again, nothing can salvage the sinking ship.
If these elected officials are on vacation at the time of this catastrophe then they will just build the exact same way all over again. can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta