Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 AM

16,628 posts, read 29,298,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
How's the commute to Newell Rubbermaid HQ (Sandy Springs) from the East Cobb areas? Is it doable?
Yes. Especially if you live in southeastern or southern East Cobb.

(Walton, Wheeler, or Pope districts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
Yes, this is a follow up to an old post from 2007. I disagree with MaddisMom and agree with the objective reply of
AdelaidellovesAtlanta.
Sprayberry HS is an excellent school, according to the statistics. You can read them yourself. Apparently, it sounds as if MaddisMom has a personal grudge against the school. Regarding East Cobb, Sprayberry HS is also in the boundary of East Cobb. As one poster said, there are alot of beautiful mature older neighborhoods in the East Cobb area, along with newer, and brand new homes, many as high as the $800s, $900s, and easily more than $1 million. It is a very diverse area. Some people have lived in their homes for more than 20 years! The school stats are online for everyone to do their own research. Some sites even have Sprayberry HS outperforming Lassiter and Walton. From my research, the top three are these schools. They're all in the East Cobb boundaries. Also, as one poster said, technically, anything east of 75, probably most homes north of the Chattahoochee River may fall into the East Cobb boundaries, but how far north, I'm not sure, however, looking at the map, the north boundary probably ends around Hwy 92 or perhaps just before Hwy 92. Sprayberry HS founded 1952; Walton HS founded 1975; and Lassiter HS founded 1981. Remember, people are human and sometimes biased and/or uninformed. Best to always perform, or at least attempt to perform, your own research. Property values are probably more affordable, on average, in the Sprayberry district, as there's less land to build new homes on, but the high prices of the new homes gives great value to a 3/2 at around $250K to $300K, for homes that may only be 1800-2500 square feet, vs. the $900K you'd pay for a mini-mansion in the same school district.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 24,601 times
I know this is a very old thread, but I happened to come across it and wanted to leave a comment in case anyone comes back to it.

Re: Sprayberry versus other East Cobb schools. Well Sprayberry is a good school compared to many other schools in Georgia, but it is not comparable to Lassiter, Pope, and Walton. The differences aren't extreme, but their test scores, college attendance rates, and other quality indicators are lower. I live right on the border of the Lassiter and Sprayberry high school districts and I know for a fact that real estate values are higher just by virtue of being in the Lassiter district rather than Sprayberry.

Besides just academics, there is another HUGE difference between these two schools. Just drive by them and it speaks for itself. Lassiter is an absolutely beautiful school in a well-kept residential setting surrounded by thriving businesses. Sprayberry is on a major intersection with heavy traffic and surrounded by struggling, run-down shopping centers. If you were looking for a school district for your family and had to choose between one of these (all other things being equal) I have no doubt which you'd choose.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:19 AM

761 posts, read 896,029 times
Mainly the Walton, Pope, and Lassiter school attendance zones are considered East Cobb. Also, parts of Sprayberry and Wheeler are considered East Cobb too.

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...danceZones.pdf

Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,153,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Mainly the Walton, Pope, and Lassiter school attendance zones are considered East Cobb. Also, parts of Sprayberry and Wheeler are considered East Cobb too.

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...danceZones.pdf
Yes, but what Lisalu is saying is that there is East Cobb, and then there is East Cobb.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 AM

376 posts, read 327,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Yes, but what Lisalu is saying is that there is East Cobb, and then there is East Cobb.
Yes as someone who technically lives in East Cobb. I can verify that people in my area don't really consider the Sprayberry area to be part of the same area. I say technically because I consider myself to be more of a Sandy Springs resident than an East Cobb one.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:16 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,525,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalu910 View Post
Re: Sprayberry versus other East Cobb schools. Well Sprayberry is a good school compared to many other schools in Georgia, but it is not comparable to Lassiter, Pope, and Walton. The differences aren't extreme, but their test scores, college attendance rates, and other quality indicators are lower.
I would wager those factors have more to do with the affluence of the families than the quality of the schools.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 24,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would wager those factors have more to do with the affluence of the families than the quality of the schools.
Well, yes, but normally those two factors go hand-in-hand.

On a related note, there is a German grocery store chain called Lidl which is attempting to purchase the Park 12 Cobb theater (near Lassiter HS) for one of their stores. Most of the community is dead set against this and has suggested to the company that one of the shopping centers near Sprayberry would be more appropriate for their cut-rate grocery store (there are lots of available parcels there.) Lidl's representative retorted that they preferred the site near Lassiter because of the demographics, saying, "these folks have more disposable income."

Just a couple of miles between these two school zones is a significant difference, and kind of defines East Cobb as most residents think of it, rather than the technical division of East/West Cobb which is I-75.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:51 AM

1,323 posts, read 1,299,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalu910 View Post
Well, yes, but normally those two factors go hand-in-hand.

Just a couple of miles between these two school zones is a significant difference, and kind of defines East Cobb as most residents think of it, rather than the technical division of East/West Cobb which is I-75.
Sorry, but there's no "technical" division between East Cobb and West Cobb, because neither is an area with legally drawn boundaries. But even if they were both actual municipalities, this would still be an inaccurate description, as you still have the City of Marietta between the two. Most of us who live within the city limits do not consider ourselves to be residents of either West or East Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta