U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM

57 posts, read 220,429 times

Advertisements

I am headed back to school at 29 yrs old after a long hiatus. I am now an independent student with about 24? college credits to my name (some from a school in MD and some from GA State). In order to be successful, I have detemined that I need to attend community college for another semester or two and then apply to a 4 yr. school up North.

I liked GSU, and had great grades there, but due to reasons I do not wish to elaborate on, it'd be in my best interest not to return there.

I'm really in need and shooting for a full transfer scholarship so I need to get good grades, and attend a school that has a respectable reputation. What do you think of GPC? Even though Atlanta Metropolitan College would be an easier commute, I know that would really be a bad move.

Yes, I know you could shine at a school that's easy, but a 4.0 from Easy CC would probably hold less weight than a 4.0 at Well-Respected CC - right? And yes, unfortunately, the North seems to think that the South is backwards and uneducated, so they'd probably assume the schools to be inferior.

I'm originally from the DC area, so I'm wondering if I should return home and go to NOVA, PGCC, or Montgomery. I'd be broke and living scared for a year or two, but it seems worth the sacrifice. They seem better than GPC, but I could be wrong. That is where your knowledge and advice comes in.

I am really annoyed with the fact that there are no truly open-admission CCs here. For example, the application deadline for Fall has passed at GPC, but you have until mid-August to register for Fall classes at the CCs in the D/M/V. That's right - I said register - you just sign up and go - there is no admissions process and waiting game like the CCs here in GA.

As for some more info about me - I've been here since '03.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:12 PM

4,560 posts, read 6,528,300 times
I don't think any of the Northern CC would care one or another about if the CC here are inferior or not.

Just because the close date was July 1st for GPC, it doesn't mean that you can't still apply for them. They will probably still take the application since its no cap on the school size here.

Main issue is checking the colleges here vs the one in DMV for transfer equivalency for the classes that you have already taken and plan to take in the future. Makes no sense to take classes here that won't transfer and vice verse.

GPC is fine. I did my 2 years there and transferred to CAU and GSU after I was finished. Great teachers and small class sizes. This was on the Clarkston campus though. No real complaints. Education seems no different from the universities that I've attended. Only difference is the smaller class sizes. Teacher still demand the same kind of work out of you.

Atlanta Metro has been building itself up to become #2 to GPC in the CC arena. Their president has numerous expansion plans in the future for the school. Its completely different from the past.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM

30,560 posts, read 29,017,469 times
I went there back when it was DeKalb College and it was great. Later I transferred to a well known university and really couldn't tell any difference, except that the latter cost a lot more. One of my kids did the same thing. I'd recommend it without qualification.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 AM

428 posts, read 653,517 times
I'd first ask you to get your nose out of the clouds, there, OP.

Nothing at all wrong with GPC. I earned my first of several degrees (Computer Science) from that school, and I'm here to tell you that the instructors there were awesome. Several were teaching there while not teaching their regular jobs at GA Tech.

You'd do fine at GPC, and you'd get a better education there than you would from NOVA. Take that from one who lived and attended school in northern Virginia for almost two decades.

My answer to your original question, then: Go. Go back to that soulles DC fringe you call home and let those students who choose to stay and study here "commit educational suicide." You'll find them alive, well, and living well when you're serving their fries.

My regards to NOVA.

Last edited by RDawg; 07-11-2010 at 03:48 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks PK. My first choice for transfer after CC is actually Howard, but I've been considering some Ivies/top schools as well. While Howard presents no issues, I know the others are very competitive. The reason I was looking at NOVA is because it has admissions agreements with UVA which is a win-win.

And RDawg, quit trolling. If you have nothing positive to say,then don't say anything at all. I've never served fries before, and never intend to. I've been on hiatus all this time because I've been running my own business - yep, that's right, I chose not to depend on the GA economy for my sustenance. I question your own experiences though, because you sound bitter.

Last edited by Nonpareil; 07-11-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Upon further analysis, it looks like RDawg just has a problem with the DC area. You are forgiven. Thanks for your bit of advice (minus the negatives).

Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 PM

In my experience, the private colleges are very picky in accepting transfer credits from state university and community colleges.

GPC is cheap as hell tuition wise (I'm looking at graduating with under $18k in student loan debt) so it makes sense to use your cheap in state tuition to get ahead...

Old 07-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks again. I'm trying to make intelligent decisions are far as classes are concerned - just basic prereqs.

And yes, with GPC, I can probably pay for a semester without tapping into financial aid. I'll probably apply for Spring, and will keep everyone updated.

I had to ask though because these reviews threw me for a loop:

Georgia Perimeter College (StudentsReview) - College Reviews Summary, Student Opinion, Tuition, Application, Sports

Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 PM

I do agree with some of the reviews.

The admin support staff is terrible. They all seem to have attitudes especially in FA. Don't dare ask a question that believe you should already know the answer too.

My only issue was with their counseling staff. They have far too little counselors for the number of students at GPC Clarkston. The counselors are underpressure to perform so its in and out and they miss stuff because they don't have time to focus on you then try to help way down the road when its too late.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM

428 posts, read 653,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post
Upon further analysis, it looks like RDawg just has a problem with the DC area. You are forgiven. Thanks for your bit of advice (minus the negatives).
I do have a problem with the DC area at that. It's horrible. You're welcome for the advice. Forgiveness not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta