Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

I would think you could find that crowd almost anywhere in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 PM

23 posts, read 93,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
You should steer well clear of Buckhead. White professional folk are still by far the majority there.

FYI, they probably dont want you around anway You know, they/we just prefer to associate with our own kind. Nothing wrong with Free Association!
lol, actually, I find that most White people I come across usually like me because I am what they consider to be a 'safe negro.' I'm educated, attractive, physically fit, articulate and not 'big black and scary.' Then there are those that are extremely intimidated for the aforementioned reasons, or just outright envious (usually young, slim, blonde women in their 20's fall into this category).

I'd have to say though, I haven't met one who acted or expressed that they didn't want me around. Even the envious ones want me around to steal my ideas at work or solicit fashion advice.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM

479 posts, read 703,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Esquire View Post
lol, actually, I find that most White people I come across usually like me because I am what they consider to be a 'safe negro.' I'm educated, attractive, physically fit, articulate and not 'big black and scary.' Then there are those that are extremely intimidated for the aforementioned reasons, or just outright envious (usually young, slim, blonde women in their 20's fall into this category).

I'd have to say though, I haven't met one who acted or expressed that they didn't want me around. Even the envious ones want me around to steal my ideas at work or solicit fashion advice.
Not only that, your modesty is certainly an attractive character trait as well.

FYI, just because people act one way when you are around doesnt mean they dont act another way when you are not

Lets see, young slim blonde women in their 20's are outright envious of you...because they want to be an "educated blah blah blah "safe negro" too? How very odd.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM

23 posts, read 93,184 times
Quote:
Not only that, your modesty is certainly an attractive character trait as well.

FYI, just because people act one way when you are around doesnt mean they dont act another way when you are not

Lets see, young slim blonde women in their 20's are outright envious of you...because they want to be an "educated blah blah blah "safe negro" too? How very odd.
Yes, I know. I try. I'm kind of like a big deal.

Keep it moving if you have nothing to add to the topic at hand please.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
If you want to attend the Monique show, click here: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post10982927.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know. I try. I'm kind of like a big deal.

Keep it moving if you have nothing to add to the topic at hand please.
As a white professional living in Buckhead, who grew up here, with lots of people just like myself, let me ask that you take such into account when evaluating your future living arrangements. In fact, I beg you to!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:11 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb And You Obtained This Knowledge How?

Quote:
You should steer well clear of Buckhead. White professional folk are still by far the majority there.

FYI, they probably dont want you around anway You know, they/we just prefer to associate with our own kind. Nothing wrong with Free Association!
As in, being appointed de facto spokesman for the 'white professional crowd'?

Y'know, I've seen quite a few street-level Google Earth photos over the last year...however, there seems to be a curious absence of those with signage like this posted at the neighborhood limits---the ones that read 'Welcome To Buckhead---Home Of White Professionals Who Don't Want to Interact With Like-Minded Blacks [No Offense, But We Just Wanna Be With Our Own Kind]'

Now, if you can produce signs like that, or canvass EVERY SINGLE white professional living in Buckhead, and get them to admit what you said is true, then it's possible your words may have merit...but until then, I believe the OP has every right to search for a dwelling anyplace in Atlanta that he or she chooses---and that includes Buckhead...

Boy, the presumptive arrogance of some people just slays me...huffing and puffing and throwing out stereotypes left and right, as if interacting with people of other races, religions, or creeds will give them cooties...the OP asked where they could find young, professional, heterosexual blacks in Atlanta, and to their credit, other posters attempted to help her...

But somehow, I get this image of you dressed like Marvin the Martian, manning the controls of some giant disintegrator cannon, sitting at the Buckhead limits yelling 'Stay out of Buckhead, dark-hued Earth-person! OOOOOOHHHH! Dark people who want to live in my neighborhood make me SO ANNNGGGRYYY!!!' Nothing wrong with people actually being able to live where they want without hearing a bunch of drama, either

Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
As in, being appointed de facto spokesman for the 'white professional crowd'?

Y'know, I've seen quite a few street-level Google Earth photos over the last year...however, there seems to be a curious absence of those with signage like this posted at the neighborhood limits---the ones that read 'Welcome To Buckhead---Home Of White Professionals Who Don't Want to Interact With Like-Minded Blacks [No Offense, But We Just Wanna Be With Our Own Kind]'

Now, if you can produce signs like that, or canvass EVERY SINGLE white professional living in Buckhead, and get them to admit what you said is true, then it's possible your words may have merit...but until then, I believe the OP has every right to search for a dwelling anyplace in Atlanta that he or she chooses---and that includes Buckhead...

Boy, the presumptive arrogance of some people just slays me...huffing and puffing and throwing out stereotypes left and right, as if interacting with people of other races, religions, or creeds will give them cooties...the OP asked where they could find young, professional, heterosexual blacks in Atlanta, and to their credit, other posters attempted to help her...

But somehow, I get this image of you dressed like Marvin the Martian, manning the controls of some giant disintegrator cannon, sitting at the Buckhead limits yelling 'Stay out of Buckhead, dark-hued Earth-person! OOOOOOHHHH! Dark people who want to live in my neighborhood make me SO ANNNGGGRYYY!!!' Nothing wrong with people actually being able to live where they want without hearing a bunch of drama, either
Holy Catfish Cap'n! Projecting just a bit, are we? Your personal attacks aside (hello moderators?), let me address a few of your "points":

- If you are looking for signs in peoples' lawns, you will be looking in vain. Personally, I base my views, like any good statistician, on my private interactions with a large sample of the population. Obviously, most any perspective is never going to have 100% adherence.

- Irony. Perhaps its not something with which you are familiar? You should be.

Do you think its ironic that the OP was advised specifically about where to go to be around other blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
No problem. BTW, The professional blacks live mostly on the southside of Atlanta:
but then says he/she was told Buckhead was where they should be? Buckhead is most definitely not a "black" area. Curious, no?

- Consider these posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Sometimes you have to segregate yourself depending on Cultural things you like to do.. We see this
everyday.. If someone wants to be around a certain race thats fine. There isnt a rule book saying I have to be around Asians koreans etc... The person may not have anything against the other race, he or she may feel more comfortable and they probably relate more to African american culture.... Im like that ill go party with a diverse crowd of people but I spend more time around african american culture, because I relate better with them..
Quote:
Exactly. Furthermore, seeing as though I'm not a resident of Atlanta, I am unfamiliar with the social scene. I've read that the city is segregated, thus I wanted to clarify exactly what type of professional crowd I wanted to associate with. I'm pretty sure the right of Free Association is still protected under the 1st amendment.
Do you think some whites may also feel this way about their "culture" or "crowd"? Is that OK, or only in reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Yeah its segragated here just like every city you have you black nieghborhoods, Majority white nieghborhoods, Majority latino nieghborhoods, then you have your Diverse nieghborhoods... The social scene is the same way... Its all because people socialize with who they are most comfortable with..
Frankly, the OP's race was never the major issue. It was their attitude.

Quote:
...most White people I come across usually like me because I am what they consider to be a 'safe negro.' I'm educated, attractive, physically fit, articulate and not 'big black and scary.' Then there are those that are extremely intimidated for the aforementioned reasons, or just outright envious (usually young, slim, blonde women in their 20's fall into this category).

Quote:
I'm kind of like a big deal.
The OP states he/she much prefers being around their "own kind/blacks". Meanwhile whites, who he/she prefers not to be around, either adore the OP, are intimidated by the OP, or want to BE the OP. Irony is one thing, that kind of attitude is another.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
lol, actually, I find that most White people I come across usually like me because I am what they consider to be a 'safe negro.' I'm educated, attractive, physically fit, articulate and not 'big black and scary.'
I wonder if they just consider you a safe person?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb Well, Let's See...

Quote:
Holy Catfish Cap'n! Projecting just a bit, are we? Your personal attacks aside (hello moderators?), let me address a few of your "points":

- If you are looking for signs in peoples' lawns, you will be looking in vain. Personally, I base my views, like any good statistician, on my private interactions with a large sample of the population. Obviously, most any perspective is never going to have 100% adherence.

- Irony. Perhaps its not something with which you are familiar? You should be.

Do you think its ironic that the OP was advised specifically about where to go to be around other blacks

but then says he/she was told Buckhead was where they should be? Buckhead is most definitely not a "black" area. Curious, no?

- Consider these posts:

Do you think some whites may also feel this way about their "culture" or "crowd"? Is that OK, or only in reverse?

Frankly, the OP's race was never the major issue. It was their attitude.

The OP states he/she much prefers being around their "own kind/blacks". Meanwhile whites, who he/she prefers not to be around, either adore the OP, are intimidated by the OP, or want to BE the OP. Irony is one thing, that kind of attitude is another.
Attitude? Yep, I've been accused of having an overabundance of it during my lifetime...and to those accusers, I always responded thusly---'I have attitude, yeah, maybe too much sometimes, but like so many other things having to do with me, there's nothing you can do about it except go 'tsk tsk' and move on'

Secondly...if you took my remarks as a personal attack on you, such was not my intent---I've never encountered you in person...my only interaction has been to date, reading your posts/opinions on this forum, and it was to a particaular post/opinon that I responded...not grounds for a personal attack...

But know this...I took umbrage to your answer to the OP that he/she 'stay well clear of Buckhead'...I'd do that with ANYONE on here that espoused stuff like that...in principle, I actually understand the point you were/are trying to make---I really do...

It's the 'stay clear of Buckhead' stuff that got me going...I'm sorry to be the bearer of this news, but this IS 2010, and, your personal interactions with a large sample of the population notwithstanding, the OP and anyone else has a right to search in, and live in, anyplace they so desire, whether you and that 'large sample' mumble under your breaths 'there goes the neighborhood!' or not...

I fully realize that the OP specifically asked 'where are the young, hetero, professional blacks in Atlanta?'...but all the 'being around our kind stuff' just smacks of being kinda exclusionary to me...as long as that person is a good neighbor, friend, or co-worker, their race shouldn't-really-matter...and that would go if a white OP had asked the same question...people have a right to live where they wish, and all the 'stay clear' nonsense isn't going to/shouldn't stop them---black, white, hispanic, asian, whatever, people should be allowed to live where they like, without others trying to tell them what to do...it's really that simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta