U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I will be moving from upstate NY to Atlanta in September 2010. And I am extremely excited, except for the traffic. First off I am excited becuase #1 I will not have to deal with winters anymore, #2 I like the location of our apartment, #3 I miss living in a city since it has been 10 years since I last lived in a major metro area, (Minneapolis). My job has allowed me to transfer and my wife has accepted a position at Emory, so therefore we found an apartment right next to the Emory campus. Unfortunetley my job is located near the I-285/I-20 (Fulton Industrial blvd SW exit to be exact) location. The only thing I am not looking forward to is that commute. I have been studying as much as I can on Atlanta traffic flow patterns and basically it seems that no matter what route there will be traffic... Can anyone provide an estimated time traveling from Lavista Rd. and N. Druid Hills road to Fulton Industrial blvd during a typical traffic rush hour leaving my apartment at 7am and then heading home around 4:30pm? Also what the best route would be? Any help or advice would be much apperciated!

I look forward to living in hotlanta!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,453,589 times
It might not be too bad and welcome to Toco Hill. Lots of good places to eat and it's a nice community. Hate the LaVista/Emory traffic but it's staggered and you can survive.

You should be able to find a route that works--you would have an opposite commute. I think you could take Briarcliff Rd/becomes Moreland Ave at Ponce de Leon and then get on I20.

I would estimate 30 minutes contingent upon where you need to be on Fulton Industrial.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4G...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,917,363 times
You will have no problem in the morning at 7am. Morning commute should be 25 mins

Leaving work at 4:30pm you will run to traffic from on the downtown connector but once its splits the commute isnt bad. Afternoon commute should be 35 mins

Traffic here isnt as bad as people make it out to be depending on where you are

www.georgia-navigator.com

Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM

4,524 posts, read 6,433,768 times
You will have a reverse commute in both directions. Not an issue.

Only issue that I can think of are the surface streets near Druid Hills etc etc in the morning and afternoon. The highways will be clear...

Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
You will have a reverse commute in both directions. Not an issue.

Only issue that I can think of are the surface streets near Druid Hills etc etc in the morning and afternoon. The highways will be clear...
Would the OP be better off to try I85? That was Google's idea. I'd take my chances with Moreland to I20 but I'm not the best on directions.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM

He would be getting on after Brookwood so it probably wouldn't be so bad. I'm not too sure though.

Google Maps does allow you to check traffic patterns (click traffic then you can adjust it) and it shows 85 is clear but its slow during Brookwood Merge and 400 southbound then its back up to speed limit ride..

Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
He would be getting on after Brookwood so it probably wouldn't be so bad. I'm not too sure though.

Google Maps does allow you to check traffic patterns (click traffic then you can adjust it) and it shows 85 is clear but its slow during Brookwood Merge and 400 southbound then its back up to speed limit ride..
From LaVista to N. Druid Hills there might be some stop and go. Google suggested Clairmont--not that great, either.

At least there would be alternative routes.

I guess you were thinking he should go Ponce to ?I don't know where I turn--Left--to Piedmont, maybe or go across North Avenue?

It won't be too bad.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 5,385,778 times
I make the same commute but starting from the north avenue/midtown area. I-20 going west from downtown is a breeze at any hour and the same coming back in the evening. Your challenge will be getting to I-20 downtown but I bet it won't be too bad.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
From LaVista to N. Druid Hills there might be some stop and go. Google suggested Clairmont--not that great, either.

At least there would be alternative routes.

I guess you were thinking he should go Ponce to ?I don't know where I turn--Left--to Piedmont, maybe or go across North Avenue?

It won't be too bad.
Left on Moreland like you suggested...

Moreland can be a bear in the evening though from the ramps to Druid Hills...

Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Left on Moreland like you suggested...

Moreland can be a bear in the evening though from the ramps to Druid Hills...
lol--not certain where 'Brookwood' is --the big curve, as I call it --but that's I 85 N--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or