Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
It hasnt been that bad here. The recession hit 95% of America. I'd rather take Atlanta verses DC even though the economy is still good in DC rent is still extremely high, HIV rate is still #1, 1 out of 3 people in DC still can't read, earthquakes, snow, horrible traffic on 95 all afternoon on Saturday and the morning on Sunday. Id take my chances in Atlanta
Please read this article about Washington region ranks as best-educated in the country. Is it possible to be complimentary toward Atlanta without bashing Washington D.C.? What does that say about Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM

468 posts, read 790,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Please read this article about Washington region ranks as best-educated in the country. Is it possible to be complimentary toward Atlanta without bashing Washington D.C.? What does that say about Atlanta?
It means both have educated workforces I think the only reason why Tony said what he said was because back2dc you nieghborcame in here with there same mess...

Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
The childish comebacks about AIDS and faulty statistics about crime show that Atlanta and its cheerleading squad have a severe inferiority complex.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
The childish comebacks about AIDS and faulty statistics about crime show that Atlanta and its cheerleading squad have a severe inferiority complex.
Well, consider the source. There very well could be teenagers and who knows what positing in here. I suspect a few "star" posters have rarely even been outside the state. DC was seen in a bad light years ago, not anymore. Atlanta is seen as mixed at best.

I personally think the area here is on the edge. One step back and the whole thing unravels. One step forward and it keeps getting better. Which way we swing will become apparent over the coming years.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 PM

468 posts, read 790,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

Look sir you have a real issue with the posters from Atlanta and the city of Atlanta its self.. Why keep coming to a forum that is about Atlanta if you dont like the place so much?? I mean seriously.. What Are you gaining from all this nonsense?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Look sir you have a real issue with the posters from Atlanta and the city of Atlanta its self.. Why keep coming to a forum that is about Atlanta if you dont like the place so much?? I mean seriously.. What Are you gaining from all this nonsense?
Stop posting exaggerated praise and maybe I'll disappear, until then there has to be someone who calls out all the propaganda.

That article was outdated and misleading. It used data from before the Olympics. So why post untruths? When I lived in Atlanta in 2007 many of my co-workers wanted out so badly, so I know that not every college graduate in America in 2010 is busting ass down to Atlanta for jobs like that article made it seem?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,985 times
Default It's all one site

Quote:
I think the issue is there are a lot of shared forums in between DC and Atlanta. This of course makes sense because many people share business, educational, or family ties between the two metropolitan areas. Some people are on the site to share information concerning job relocations, higher education, and vacations. However, this is a public forum so there should be no surprise that when baseless information is presented as "fact", those posters using this a platform to vent personal frustrations are going to get called on it.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Save your breath on this one.

You are responding to possibly the most bitter ex-Atlantan that probably exists.

This guy has actually gleefully advocated for the complete demise of this entire area in other threads. His total hatred of Atlanta knows no bounds........

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM

143 posts, read 346,015 times
I think it bears mentioning that many studies based on decade-long chunks of statistical data have a pretty significant delay before their findings are synthesized into conclusions for the public. This certainly isn't unique to this particular article, and if the researchers deal with trends over ten-year spans, then the next chunk of their data isn't quite ready yet.

The article in the original post is still relevant - most population trends that were consistent throughout the 90s continued into the 2000s, and anyone that visits the city regularly or lives here without a massive chip on his or her shoulder should easily be able to tell that Atlanta is still a big draw for educated professionals. The intown building boom and the demographics that fueled it throughout the decade up until 2008 should be enough to convince anyone that functions on logic that educated people didn't suddenly turn around and run from the city on January 1, 2000.

Hateful, bitter people will be hateful and bitter no matter what. Don't give them unwarranted attention, it just encourages them. We've got plenty to talk about without them, and they'll find other people to bother if they don't get what they want here.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
I think it bears mentioning that many studies based on decade-long chunks of statistical data have a pretty significant delay before their findings are synthesized into conclusions for the public. This certainly isn't unique to this particular article, and if the researchers deal with trends over ten-year spans, then the next chunk of their data isn't quite ready yet.

The article in the original post is still relevant - most population trends that were consistent throughout the 90s continued into the 2000s, and anyone that visits the city regularly or lives here without a massive chip on his or her shoulder should easily be able to tell that Atlanta is still a big draw for educated professionals. The intown building boom and the demographics that fueled it throughout the decade up until 2008 should be enough to convince anyone that functions on logic that educated people didn't suddenly turn around and run from the city on January 1, 2000.

Hateful, bitter people will be hateful and bitter no matter what. Don't give them unwarranted attention, it just encourages them. We've got plenty to talk about without them, and they'll find other people to bother if they don't get what they want here.
Fabulous post! +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta