Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times

Advertisements

Bring more tech jobs ITP. I'm tired of doing job searches and getting nothing but jobs in Norcross all the way out to Suwanee. You'd think there would be tons centered around Tech and GSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
another list...Atlanta ranked #4 for best cities for college grads. Atlanta the fourth-best city for college grads - Atlanta Business Chronicle

It seems these "best places" lists come out every month by some organization.
At least the good thing is Atlanta is always at or near the top of these lists.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM

468 posts, read 790,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlR62 View Post
Nice artical. Thanks for posting! Its nice to read this - being a NYer who is going to move to Atlanta.

Your Very much welcome man

Old 07-21-2010, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I am from Atlanta, but I definitely agree - the area is on the edge, and it could go either way. If things don't change, im fearful the whole metro could be heading towards more of a Memphis or New Orleans. As some have said, I would view the changes Atlanta has seen since 2000 as mostly negative, in terms of reputation (especially among the "educated workforce"-types) and the kinds of people moving here. The 2000s was not a good decade for the city. But things do change. Atlanta was the star of the 1990s. Now things are different, and the question is will the area adapt in order to keep its appeal.

I am hopeful that it will, and there are good signs. Many people have committed themselves to changing the city core. Once that happens, I think people will start to view the whole metro differently. This does need happen quickly, though. In this new era, as the city of Atlanta goes, so goes the metro. The key to success will be leadership changes and if they happen in the coming years.
What the elites of Atlanta can't seem to grasp is quantity is not automatic quality. Some things have gotten better, but the basic blocks of living seem to be going down hill. And while GA is attracting business, they don't seem to like Atlanta. Just imagine the impact Suntrust imploding (as it nearly did) would have had on Downtown. The place would fold. There are just so many better cities out there, Atlanta makes no sense. However the suburbs are very nice.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueswd View Post
What the elites of Atlanta can't seem to grasp is quantity is not automatic quality. Some things have gotten better, but the basic blocks of living seem to be going down hill. And while GA is attracting business, they don't seem to like Atlanta. Just imagine the impact Suntrust imploding (as it nearly did) would have had on Downtown. The place would fold. There are just so many better cities out there, Atlanta makes no sense. However the suburbs are very nice.
I'm confused. You do know that there are other businesses downtown...right? I certainly don't want Suntrust to go away (as much as I hate to admit that), however, I don't think that it would cause downtown to suddenly drift off into nowhere.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 PM

143 posts, read 346,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueswd View Post
Instead of just slinging rhetoric, how about some citations to support the things you're posting as fact? It would increase the quality of discussion around here quite a bit.

Your perception may be quite different from the reality of doing business in Atlanta. I tend to believe it is. But the burden of proof is on you to support all of these claims.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:50 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Excellent responses from ericsonga and WriterDawg to a ridiculously negative and unnecessary post!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:20 PM

439 posts, read 852,748 times
Could not agree more. Besides if the Atlantan Market was so promising we would not be at a 10% unemployment rate one of the top 10 states to suffer with unemployment in the country. Education in Atlanta does not pay either, as hiring critirea does not stem from experience, certification, degree and competence. The provincial mentality of hiring friends and family still prevails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Stop posting exaggerated praise and maybe I'll disappear, until then there has to be someone who calls out all the propaganda.

That article was outdated and misleading. It used data from before the Olympics. So why post untruths? When I lived in Atlanta in 2007 many of my co-workers wanted out so badly, so I know that not every college graduate in America in 2010 is busting ass down to Atlanta for jobs like that article made it seem?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Why some people need to dig up old threads for entertainment is beyond me...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
You would think so...but apparently people don't like to coordinate with each other here in the south to boost business or petition for federal dollars around here.

It would be nice if the President of Ga Tech, Kasim Reed, and Governor Perdue would get together & hatch a solid plan to recruit hi-tech business AND making sure that our laws, ordinances, and governmental agencies are simplified to make it easy for business to come here, but...from reading articles in the Sunday paper, Atlanta has a kafkaesque public administration system that boggles the mind.

Also, I read from another city data thread that there is a move at the state level to amend the Georgia Constitution so that it may prevent people who work for a company from leaving to work in a company in the same industry or start a similar business for a couple of years, essentially freezing out their potential. You would think that more of these so-called "limited government" types would care, but here in Georgia, it's more about WHO people are against rather than WHAT they are against.

Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Bring more tech jobs ITP. I'm tired of doing job searches and getting nothing but jobs in Norcross all the way out to Suwanee. You'd think there would be tons centered around Tech and GSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta