Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 6,173 times

Advertisements

Everyone has been sooo nice! Thank you so much for your advice on zip codes, areas, apartments and even the gated community comment.

The zip code I'll be working in is 30035. Does that change anything?

Thanks!!! I'm so excited! I have a month before I get to Atlanta. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Is your place of employment located in zip code 30033? This is the City of Decatur --there are other zip codes and this will be important to those offering recommendations.
30035 is the zip code. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferedefined View Post
30035 is the zip code. Thanks so much for your help!

30035 is actually outside the perimeter (I-285 is the perimeter highway around metro Atlanta) well south of the City of Decatur. This is not "true Decatur." Decatur is an actual city but there are large parts of unincorporated DeKalb that have a Decatur mailing address. The City of Decatur is like Mayberry -- a nice, small, college town. The unincorporated areas are quite different in lots of ways -- more suburban, strip malls, some areas are actually kind of rural. There's a lot of variability. But the areas that people have been mentioning in this thread are typically north of Decatur whereas you'll actually be working south of Decatur, so they may not be terribly convenient after all.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,059 times
Yeah, I know that area. Snapfinger. One of my good friends lived in that area. His parents still do. It's mostly an African American suburb. Pretty nice houses for the most part. I'm not super familiar with that area other than hanging out with my friend and his family. Not sure how many rental places are in that area also. Most of the dwellings are Single Family Homes. Snapfinger isn't very far from most of the in-town neighborhoods though. You could probably get away with living in most anyone of them and not having to bad of a commute. Maybe someone else can chime in on the area? Anyway Stone Mountain, Pine Lake, Scottdale, Avondale Estates (nice), and others could also be options.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
Yeah, I know that area. Snapfinger. One of my good friends lived in that area. His parents still do. It's mostly an African American suburb. Pretty nice houses for the most part. I'm not super familiar with that area other than hanging out with my friend and his family. Not sure how many rental places are in that area also. Most of the dwellings are Single Family Homes. Snapfinger isn't very far from most of the in-town neighborhoods though. You could probably get away with living in most anyone of them and not having to bad of a commute. Maybe someone else can chime in on the area? Anyway Stone Mountain, Pine Lake, Scottdale, Avondale Estates (nice), and others could also be options.
The area around N. DeKalb Mall --I believe that is zip code 30033/N. Decatur--which could include Scottdale--McLendon Elementary is in this area--might be an option. I 285/Memorial Drive would be about 20-30 minutes to the Snapfinger area.
'DeKalb Medical' might be another way to reference this area.

ETA: There is some discussion of housing in related areas here>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...atur-help.html

Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Thank you sjuraud and Takeahike! I'm actually going down for the weekend to start looking at places to live and this will be very helpful! I only have a couple of days to look around so just knowing where to look will prove a time-saving more efficient use of my search time. You all are the best. I am really looking forward to living in Atlanta and can already tell I'll have a great experience from the help I've received here!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferedefined View Post
Thank you sjuraud and Takeahike! I'm actually going down for the weekend to start looking at places to live and this will be very helpful! I only have a couple of days to look around so just knowing where to look will prove a time-saving more efficient use of my search time. You all are the best. I am really looking forward to living in Atlanta and can already tell I'll have a great experience from the help I've received here!
I wish you luck--do you have a place to stay/motel while you are here?

It's a bit of a challenge to work out the logistics of house hunting at times.

Here's a possibility--if you are searching the Decatur area. N. Decatur Rd/near Emory University
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS ATLANTA / EMORY - Decatur GA 2183 North Decatur Rd. 30033 Georgia

There are other motels at N. Druid Hills Rd/I85/Executive Park--not exactly convenient to Decatur but about as close as you can come to a central location for house hunting in Atlanta.

http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/N...ates:100012396

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
There is also a Holiday Inn right in Downtown Decatur.

This would be a great spot. After you're done house/apartment hunting, you could ditch the car and walk to literally dozens of places to eat & drink. This is in a very cool area.
http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/decatur/atldc/hoteldetail (broken link)

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta