Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM
fil fil started this thread

364 posts, read 1,627,687 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. Love this board and used it extensively when we moved from Atlanta to Austin 4 years ago and now back in town.

We lived in Sugar Loaf CC when we were here and bought a place in Sandy Springs (Roswell-Dalrymple / Riverside-Johnson-Ferry). We’re close to Atlanta CC but on the Sandy Springs side and also near the Northridge and Abernathy/SS exits off of 400.

I have a kindergartner that we’ve already registered in a private school that has a swimming program, music, and arts, and I’d like to enroll them this year in soccer, baseball, and martial arts.

My wife is into Yoga and needs a chiropractor that practices kinesiology and origin-insertion.

Can you also tell us what are the great places to go? Dining? Family place? Hiking trails? Movies? Anything that you particularly like in this area?

Any favorite hole in the walls for dining?

Thanks in advance!

Some places we've found already:

SS--
Riverside Park in Roswell
Brazilian restaurant

Dunwoody--
Brookrun [off-leash] Dog Park

ECobb--
Mt Bethel Baseball Park
Atlanta Swim Academy
Chuck E. Cheese
Picture Show at Merchants Exchange (dollar movie theater)

Last edited by fil; 07-31-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 01:20 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I'd recommend Ippolito's for casual Italian. Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell has good barbecue is by far the best singer-songwriter venue this side of Nashville.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks arjay57

One thing we love about Austin is the large number of hole in the walls with fantastic food that didn't break the bank and that had atmosphere. We also loved all of the Pan-Asian food--Vietnamese, Thai, and Filipino.

I'm still traveling up to Gwinnett to get good Thai food (Thai Lotus on Sugarloaf Pkwy) and getting OK Thai in Norcross (Taste of Thai on Jimmy Carter Blvd). Any tips?
Where are the Pho shops on Chumble-Tucker? I vaguely remember those.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,791 times
If you like Mexican food, check out Los Rancheros in Dunwoody

Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 PM

205 posts, read 693,119 times
Do you eat sushi? If so a restaurant called Nori Nori is on Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs and has an all you can eat fresh sushi bar with tons and tons of varieties of sushi. They also have salads, hot entrees and a dessert table. It's a bit pricey, but for what you get, I think it is worth it.

For a chiropractor, we use Dr. Paul Drilling of the Feder Health Clinic. He has a good temperment and has a great natural approach to healing without discounting the benefits of the medical community. He is located near Northside Hospital.

Welcome back to Atlanta.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM

37 posts, read 172,607 times
I'm not sure I have a lock on your location within Sandy Springs, but here are some reccomendations. I don't know Sandy Springs so well but you shouldn't be far from Roswell (to the north) and Dunwoody (to the south).

If you take GA-9 (Roswell/Atlanta St/Alpharetta Hwy) north to downtown Roswell there are several cool and unique stores and restaurants. Ceviche (mexican), Diesel (pizza), Swallow at the Hollow (BBQ/Live music) and several other restaurants in that area are very good with the "hole in the wall / intersting character" atmosphere.

If you take GA-9 (again, Roswell Rd.) south, there are a lot of restaurants in Dunwoody (around Hammond) just outside I-285. For example, Uncle Julios (pricey upscale mexican). Then, on Roswell just inside I-285 at intersection of Glenridge (which is exit 3 on GA-400) you'll find 5 Season's Brewing (microbeer pub -- also have a location in Alpharetta) and EVOS (high quality fast food burgers). These places don't have as cool of an atmosphere of downtown roswell but are decent places to check out as well depending on how far of a drive that is for you.

For shopping, if you are near East Cobb, "The Avenues" is a nice strip mall. Also, Perimiter Mall in Dunwoody (which has a movie theater or two nearby as well). This would be just off exit 5a on 400.

For hiking/biking/general outdoors stuff you can take 400 north to Alpharetta (I think exit 10) for the Greenway trail or check out the Silver Comet trail in Smyrna. Roswell has also been recognized as a bike-friendly city.

I also think Marietta Square is worth mentioning. They have an interesting downtown area that is full of character -- check out their website and find a fun event to go to. I recomend their annual Wing festival.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 AM

3,247 posts, read 6,303,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
Thanks arjay57

One thing we love about Austin is the large number of hole in the walls with fantastic food that didn't break the bank and that had atmosphere. We also loved all of the Pan-Asian food--Vietnamese, Thai, and Filipino.

I'm still traveling up to Gwinnett to get good Thai food (Thai Lotus on Sugarloaf Pkwy) and getting OK Thai in Norcross (Taste of Thai on Jimmy Carter Blvd). Any tips?
Where are the Pho shops on Chumble-Tucker? I vaguely remember those.
There are 3 much closer Thai restaurants near the Kroger on Roswell Rd/Long Island Dr.(Bangkok,Sawadee & Banchiang)

For a real hole in the wall and very authentic Mexican check out El Taco Veloz on Roswell Rd. just inside the perimeter. Great Tacos & Tortas.

For Martial Arts in this area Alliance Brazilian Jujitsu (6331 Roswell Rd.) is an internationally famous school,not sure about their kids program. Oyama Karate is also in this area and will have a great high spirited program,especially good for younger kids.

World Oyama Karate Atlanta Georgia

My favorite store in the area:Phoenix & Dragon Bookstore

Two great shortcut routes,Lake Forest Dr,parallel to Roswell Rd. and Windsor Parkway(from the southern part of Sandy Springs to Brookhaven).

The pho shops are near Buford highway & Clairmont Rd., and Buford Highway & Shallowford Rd. Also in this area is the really cool Plaza Fiesta (for a trip to Mexico).

Plaza Fiesta El Rinconcito De Nuestra Tierra (http://www.plazafiesta.net/about.htm - broken link)

Penang is a great Malaysian restaurant in this area that combines good food,good service and a nice atmosphere.

Penang

Have fun!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks @Lilycharm
Nori Nori rocks. I have a frequent eating card.
I'll check out Dr. Drilling.

@DeaconVI
Tons of great stuff to check out. You actually have my location well since you gave me advice up and down Roswell Rd in SS.

Obrigado, @capoeira
We'll check out all that you recommended.

Is the Punchline still a good place to go?

I repped you all! Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM

37 posts, read 172,607 times
I've never been to the punchline, but there is a comedy club in Startime at the intersection of GA-9 and Holcolmb Bridge (which is near exit 7 off GA-400) called the Funny Farm which gets great comedians. I've also heard that there's a comedy club in the Andretti Racing complex just up the street from there but can't confirm.

I also remembered that there's an old Taco Mac that changed names to "North River Tavern" near the intersection of Northridge and GA-9 (near exit 6 on GA-400) that still boasts a very large beer selection despite changing names (as in, the beer menu is several pages long). Their food isn't much to talk about, but they do trivia and I think poker night and other events and occasionally have local bands play as well.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconVI View Post
I've never been to the punchline, but there is a comedy club in Startime at the intersection of GA-9 and Holcolmb Bridge (which is near exit 7 off GA-400) called the Funny Farm which gets great comedians. I've also heard that there's a comedy club in the Andretti Racing complex just up the street from there but can't confirm.
Actually, The Funny Farm moved to Andretti's when Startime shut down. Startime qua Startime is no more, but the movie theater and mini-golf parts have just been extensively renovated and reopened; the complex is now known as "Area 51", and consists of the Aurora Cineplex and The Fringe mini-golf course. The game arcade, bar, and other features of the old Startime are gone and from what I can tell aren't likely to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta