Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:41 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I strongly support the superspeeder law. Anyone driving over 75 mph on a two lane road needs to be zapped for at least $200, if not more. They are recklessly endangering the lives, health and careers of everyone who happens to be in their path.

The fact that you've got a 6-month-old baby with a dirty diaper in the back seat doesn't justify roaring around at outrageous speeds in a 2 ton steel chariot. If you kill, blind or paralyze some innocent person -- not to mention your own child -- are those horrific consequences justified because you needed to change your baby's diaper?

Maybe you could just, like, pull over for a minute??

sarcasm? one can only hope......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Nope was in AJC... From a cop who gave a ticket...
Superspeeder program off to slow start *| ajc.com

Catherine Sinotte, 28, of Duluth is among the "superspeeders" who paid the extra $200 fine.
"I was just a frazzled mom with a crying and hungry 6-month-old, who had a dirty diaper in the back seat," she said, describing the June 10 incident. "I was speeding and I knew it."
She added, "The officer was nice enough to hold the dirty diaper so I could sign the ticket with my free hand."

Old 07-31-2010, 09:54 PM

My point. I am sure she was the one screaming "yay" when that law was signed.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
It's hard to levy super-speeder fines when you have such lax enforcement. Where are the state troopers on our highways? When I'm doing nearly 70 mph in a 55 mph zone on I-75 and getting passed like I'm standing still by idiots weaving in and out of lanes, then we have a serious problem. Unlike many states that have large state police agencies who aggressively enforce traffic laws, GA has a very small state police agency that in many cases only posts one trooper for a number of counties and a large area.

I was just in the pacific northwest for 10 days, and again the first thing to hit me when I got my rental car and hit the local highways was how good the drivers were in comparison to Atlanta. People traveled in lanes and used turn signals, traveled at or just above the speed limit, and there was no tailgating or weaving in and out of lanes. When I arrived back in Atlanta and hit I-75, it was like being on a NASCAR track. Huge pickups and SUVs dodging and weaving, tailgating and trying to do 80+ mph in a 55 mph zone. The contrast is always startling and it's no exaggeration. Those of you who travel outside the southeast US know exactly what I mean.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 AM

178 posts, read 617,921 times
The reason you speed in Atlanta is because you know for every person that you don't pass they will be in front of you adding minute upon minute to the stand still at midtown. Since the law I do watch my speed more on the interstate. If people start tailgating you throw on your caution lights they'll stop trying to push you out of the lane and go around you.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Throw on your lights i call gsp and you get the shoulder dui routine.

We dont need more self righteous self imposed sheriffs in this town. just get out of the lane? it the law that you so conveniently choose to ignore

Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Throw on your lights i call gsp and you get the shoulder dui routine.

We dont need more self righteous self imposed sheriffs in this town. just get out of the lane? it the law that you so conveniently choose to ignore
The law? Going 85 behind me in the second left lane trying to push me out of the way. That's not the law. You can't get pulled over for throwing your caution lights on. The law is for you to stop driving so damn recklessly. Highways split often and if i'm in the third lane or slow lane it's not an easy task getting into the second to merge onto 85.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 AM

126 posts, read 224,331 times
best way to get rid of a tailgater is to drop down to the speed limit. they will eventually use the passing lane.

-a|ex

Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a|ex View Post
best way to get rid of a tailgater is to drop down to the speed limit. they will eventually use the passing lane.

-a|ex
Or get yourself shot and killed .

Like cityrover says, we don't need self imposed sheriffs on the highway. If their is an ******* behind you, let 'em pass. Its not worth losing your life or ending up in the hospital due to a wreck.

Plenty of the bs on the highways here would be avoided, if people would pay attention to their rearview mirror. I'm always amazed at the amount of people who sit in the passing lane but aren't passing anyone and cause a rolling roadblock because "I'm going fast enough." Just get out of the way and let the passers by you.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Or get yourself shot and killed .

Like cityrover says, we don't need self imposed sheriffs on the highway. If their is an ******* behind you, let 'em pass. Its not worth losing your life or ending up in the hospital due to a wreck.

Plenty of the bs on the highways here would be avoided, if people would pay attention to their rearview mirror. I'm always amazed at the amount of people who sit in the passing lane but aren't passing anyone and cause a rolling roadblock because "I'm going fast enough." Just get out of the way and let the passers by you.
You can't always "just get out of the way". The BS on the highways is not from drivers driving a moderate speed. It's for the weavers, speeders, and reckless drivers and people who speed their whole way in the fast lane. The passing lane is not the lane next to the fast lane. The fast lane is the passing lane. There is no need to be tailgating someone in lane two if they are going 65.

Someone is driving normal and they decide to get over a lane, but someone comes up from behind driving 90 miles an hour. They gave you plenty of distance. You shouldn't of been speeding. That's why the person who hits you from behind is always at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta