Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,940,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Georgia Tech's Business program, considered by the rest of the school as the 'easy' degree, ranks 26th in the country.

UGA's Business progam, considered their best program, ranks 28th.

Our 'worst' is still better than your 'best.'
If this sort of pisspoor logic flies at GT (how many fallacies per sentence is that?), perhaps I shouldn't hold the institution in such high regard.

Georgia has several Education and International Affairs programs that rank in the top 5. And our law school, which your school doesn't offer, is better than our business school anyways.

Comparing the two head-to-head in different subjects is a fool's errand. The schools have totally different objectives and specialties. A better comparison is just undergraduate admissions profiles, and obviously you have UGA beat there by a reasonable margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,341,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
If this sort of pisspoor logic flies at GT (how many fallacies per sentence is that?), perhaps I shouldn't hold the institution in such high regard.

Georgia has several Education and International Affairs programs that rank in the top 5. And our law school, which your school doesn't offer, is better than our business school anyways.

Comparing the two head-to-head in different subjects is a fool's errand. The schools have totally different objectives and specialties. A better comparison is just undergraduate admissions profiles, and obviously you have UGA beat there by a reasonable margin.
Law school is a bit of a different game since a solid chunk of people weren't undergrads at UGA (including a lot of people coming from GT). Like you said, GT doesn't have a law school so you can't compare the two on that front. Also technically UGA has a slightly lower acceptance rate than GT even though GT has materially higher SAT stats. This is likely due to every student in Georgia w/ even middling stats doing a hail mary for UGA since it still looks pretty good on a resume (still a far lesser extent than say Harvard) and an application is $50.

I think the better comparison is the starting salary, return on investment, and other measures of outcome. UGA's undergrad business school is decent putting up 46k median starting salary (solidly higher than the rest of the school at ~42k). GT's b-school puts up 50k which is somewhat better given they likely battle it out for similar jobs w/ Terry grads in metro Atlanta for the most part. Compared to the overall school median starting salary of $59k, the Management school is significantly behind since GT does skew engineering. Technically the avg GT grad is worth nearly 30% more than the avg UGA grad but that doesn't account for all the Philosophy grads pondering how long their parents will pay for their cell phone into their mid 30's.

The only other area of direct comparison would be the MBA programs where Terry's gotten hit pretty hard by the recession. They tout $105k ('08) median salary post MBA on their website but their '09 stats show a median of 66k and a sub 50% hire rate. GT came in at 85k and 71% hired at graduation (Harvard only got 77% in '09) and the '10 stat shows 94% hired. A 19k gap and significantly more offers demonstrates a big gap in either the skills of the career services office at getting recruiters or companies simply don't value a Terry degree as much.

You can look further at the Payscale ROI chart where you can see GT is #36 overall and #1 in Annualized ROI. UGA is #194 and 1/2 of the 30-yr ROI of a GT undergrad degree.

Average Cost for College - Compare College Costs & ROI

This is based purely on undergrad only people so the 220 or so people/yr that get out of UGA law don't count (nor would they offset) the number of Leisure studies grads that live at home w/ their parents out of UGA that likely lower UGA's numbers.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I am sure there are rankings and polls that will list others first for whatever reason, but the context to which I replied was how much people within the state are avid fans of the university when they never went there. Growing up in Georgia and having family members that went to both Tech and Georgia, I am well versed in the rivalry. However, if you have not lived in Alabama, even though it is the state next door, you can't comprehend the depth to which the rivalry is imbedded in the psyche of the people statewide.

You have a state that has not had as much growth from other parts of the country as Georgia and North Carolina. This somewhat dilutes the loyalty in states like GA and NC, many people loyal to their home state schools. I can say the same for my current state of Texas. UT and A&M are bitter rivals, but it doesn't enter into the psyche of the general population, just the die hard fans.

But in Alabama, on the annual game between Bama and AU, the entire state is rapt with attention. If you haven't been there, you just wouldn't understand. THE ENTIRE STATE shuts down! I promise, everyone native to the state is diehard one or the other, it is passed down from generation to generation, amongst families that have never sent a child to college.

This was the context, how much a state school has loyalty from people within the state that didn't go there. There are states where the whole state is rabidly for their school whether they have anyone in the family that ever attended there or not, Nebraska and Louisiana come to mind, but as far as loyalties evenly split within one state, Alabama tops this list by a long shot. Trust me.
I totally disagree...every redneck from every corner of the state of Georgia and North Carolina are avid UGA and UNC fans...it doesn't just happen that way in Alabama! Sure there are many people living in both states that are orginally from elsewhere, but that doesn't take away from the throngs of fans of the big state university. Having lived in both GA and NC I've seen this phenomenon first hand, and being a huge sports fan I'm very familiar with several other rivalries that are very similar in nature.

And by the way, I've met MANY folks from Alabama who could care less about football...remember, they move to Atlanta in large numbers. So your statement that everyone native to Alabama is a diehard fan of one of the universities just isn't true.

Alabama-Auburn is a great rivalry, but there are lots of others that are just as strong.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM

744 posts, read 2,471,203 times
Sorry, but I but I will never believe that that there is another rivalry even close to Auburn and Alabama . They are in a class all by themselves on that one.
Just ask Bill Curry , the head coach at Georgia State and former head football coach at Alabama , he'll give you an ear full on that subject.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,527,325 times
My take on Ga Tech is Atlanta needs it. Ga Tech could be in any rinky dink Ga town like Athens and the school would do well, but if you took it out of Atlanta, Atlanta would be worse off. It does not seem to get enough women to the school though. They need to recruit some women, its a better college experience. Seems like most peaches ended up being Bulldogs lol. Other than that. I like what they do for the City of Atlanta.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,090,399 times
^^^Students don't choose to go to GaTech for the typical "college experience." I, being one of those students, chose Tech because it had a great reputation, I knew it would be very challenging, but that if I graduated from there it would pay off, it had a high population of Asians (that was seriously one of my top criteria), and the fact that it was in the heart of Atlanta really was a huge plus (I refused to go to a school not located in a big city). The low female ratio did not discourage me at all because obviously Atlanta and all the other local schools don't have low ratios and it's not too hard to meet girls elsewhere. I joined the Greek community as well for a social life and it hasn't been bad at all.

As for rankings: Tech's MBA program is ahead of Emory's. I admit I don't know much about the rankings for the undergrad program, and I should, but I do know our average pay once we leave Tech is considerably higher than $50K. I think it's closer to $60K nowadays (last semester I knew a girl who took a job with starting pay of $92K, and most of my friends who left Tech's business school entered top notch analyst programs or became traders in Houston or New York, and their pay is pretty substantial from what I have heard). It also depends, though, on your concentration within the b-school. Mine is finance, so that is where most of my b-school friends are, too, but I wouldn't be surprised if things were different for marketing majors or operations majors.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,940,314 times
Mishap-

I don't disagree with any of that. My point was that to use totally subjective impressions of what is "good" at UGA and "bad" at Tech and then compare them head-to-head is just a sloppy and meaningless way to compare schools. In states with multiple competing public universities, the schools often overlap as little as possible by design, so comparing the few areas where they do overlap is going to be a very poor comparison. It makes a lot more sense to just look at undergraduate profiles, as those are at least apples-to-apples to a reasonable degree.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,868,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
My take on Ga Tech is Atlanta needs it. Ga Tech could be in any rinky dink Ga town like Athens and the school would do well, but if you took it out of Atlanta, Atlanta would be worse off. It does not seem to get enough women to the school though. They need to recruit some women, its a better college experience. Seems like most peaches ended up being Bulldogs lol. Other than that. I like what they do for the City of Atlanta.
This post reminded me so much of a recent exchange on another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
I find it so weird how some men tend to talk about women like we're part of a place's scenery. What a turn-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Oh get over yourself. It was a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
It's not just you, it's done commonly on this forum. I've never encountered it before. It's weird to hear yourself talked about like you're grown as a crop in a particular place.
Indeed. As the parent of a teenaged girl who plans on applying to Tech, I appreciate that being in the minority gender may be advantageous to her in some ways, but I'm pretty turned off by the objectification. She'll be a fellow student, men, not just an enhancement to the scenery or date prospect.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,341,010 times
JSimms,
The pay is reported directly from GT:
Georgia Tech - College of Management | Career Services

You have to remember that for every 80k job straight out of undergrad w/ a BS-Management, there's about 10-15 that make 40k or less. Given the median is higher than the mean, this means there's a fair number of people at the lower end skewing the results. These stats also always ignore people that don't have an offer which is a fairly big chunk of the class given how many undergrads I see w/ GMAT books at B&N. According to that link, the highest paying is IT Management w/ Finance $100 higher than Operations at an avg of 47k. The 2010 numbers may be a bit better w/ higher outliers here and there but I doubt the avg jumped 10k in a year. The MBA program did increase the # w/ offers for '10 but the avg salary decreased minutely.

Of course at GT that's still on the low end since there are plenty of engineering fields that start in the 60k+ range. Only the traditional sciences (bio/chem/physics) will make less than the business majors since their paths generally require grad work.

I'm in the evening MBA program right now and the career services dept has made it pretty clear that their target for recruiting companies is 75-100k (1-2 people got 110k last year) and their mean was 85k w/ ~20k bonus so obviously 90k+ for undergrads is not the norm. I'm a bit north of their targets now so my next move probably won't come from their services. Possibilities for answers for your friend's offer of 92k out of undergrad are: she works in a really high cost area, she's a superstar student w/ 4.0 and ridiculous internships, she fudged the #'s to include potential bonuses, she's super hot and dating the CEO, or she's related to the head of HR. There are people coming out of Harvard MBA w/o offers(and willing to work at 90k) and I'd pretty much pick any of them over an undergrad w/o any real world experience.

I'm not trying to rag on GT Management but realistically salaries aren't that high according to the stats and undergrad business majors are effectively grunts. Outside of Wall St. qualified grads, there's an almost endless supply of business majors and if 2 GSU grads are willing to work for 30k each, they're likely still far more productive than one star GT grad at 60k. There's no shame in getting out of college and clearing ~50k in a non-technical field w/ only an undergrad as its in range w/ most Ivy schools and they tend to be in high COL areas. Of course starting salary is only one metric. I started out at about the median for CS grads out of GT but moved up ~90% in under 5 yrs.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,784,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
This post reminded me so much of a recent exchange on another thread:

Indeed. As the parent of a teenaged girl who plans on applying to Tech, I appreciate that being in the minority gender may be advantageous to her in some ways, but I'm pretty turned off by the objectification. She'll be a fellow student, men, not just an enhancement to the scenery or date prospect.
Apparently I must rep you this way as I have not repped enough since i repped you last, lol.

As a father of a rising high school senior daughter, you couldn't have stated this better. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta